Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
-11°C (12°F I think) and very snowy. Threw 15 rounds down range anyways and learned a few things, wit:

1. My Swarovski scope at 18x sees the target at 200 yards through the falling snow better than my Bushnell spotting scope at...well at any magnification really;

2. My Scirocco loads with R19 shot the same, and are dang accurate, temperature sensitivity be dammed;

3. CEB Maximus are sensitive to COAL..back to the lab young man; and...

Drum rollllllll

4. A bad day at the range is better than a good day at the office! (Symbol strike sound)
20220123_133609.jpg

Last edited:
Did you have to wear snowshoes as you trudged back and forth to put up targets at 200 yards?
Come on Dave, it's obviously not that deep;)

And @Pheroze you don't even have icecicles hanging from your mustache:)

Seriously, quality glass is... well, quality glass :) Great to hear R19 is stable in the cooler temps. And hell yea! Sitting in an office sucks in all weather;)

Did you have to wear snowshoes as you trudged back and forth to put up targets at 200 yards?
There was a narrow path worn down by the frost bitten feet of the truly dedicated...and me, I skipped along behind on the flattened path :)

Ugh .......... no.

1) Good for you!
2) Nice 'stache.
3) 12ish F... That's not bad, for here. I've had my daughters out shooting down to about -10. You adjust to where you are.
4) Our range currently has about 3 feet of standing snow. So much fun to set up targets.
5) Kudos on the load working well

I used to shoot skeet at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks. It was called snowshoe gun club. We had a special patch you got for shooting a round at -40’F. The trick was to go by yourself with someone dumb enough to pull for you. You basically shoot as fast as you can and run for the fireplace. After about 5 shots every shot hurts.

When I got my patch, which was quite decent, I told the guys that we needed to change them to a simple patch that read ‘I am stupid!’

Another lesson was how different it feels to load and shoot a rifle with gloves. It sounds obvious, but it is one of those things you need to experience if you will be hunting in the cold. It's cumbersome.

Another lesson was how different it feels to load and shoot a rifle with gloves. It sounds obvious, but it is one of those things you need to experience if you will be hunting in the cold. It's cumbersome.
Very true. As a northland hunter I have gotten used to pulling my trigger hand glove off and having it partially held by my forward hand. I don’t like to touch a trigger with a glove on. A bare hand in the cold becomes a problem if you have to wait too long for a shot!

Do you shoot with a glove on?

Kudos to you for getting to the range!

Do you shoot with a glove on?
I usually leave them on. But today I noticd I don't get my finger entirely on the trigger, so my hand was more likely to pop off with the recoil. I think dry firing with the glove is next.

Kudos to you for getting to the range!
Thank you.

You most definitely get the gold star for the day. :E Cold:

The main thing is you were stylish in that hat!

Pheroze, I wear a pair of Insulated fingerless Ragg Wool gloves over Military Wool Liners. That set-up allows me almost a "normal" feel. BTW how did your late season hunt go?

I used to shoot skeet at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks. It was called snowshoe gun club. We had a special patch you got for shooting a round at -40’F. The trick was to go by yourself with someone dumb enough to pull for you. You basically shoot as fast as you can and run for the fireplace. After about 5 shots every shot hurts.

When I got my patch, which was quite decent, I told the guys that we needed to change them to a simple patch that read ‘I am stupid!’
Did you do this with an over&under or an automatic? I'd be amazed at an autoloader actually functioning at -40F.

Pheroze, I wear a pair of Insulated fingerless Ragg Wool gloves over Military Wool Liners. That set-up allows me almost a "normal" feel. BTW how did your late season hunt go?
I will look into those gloves. My Kuiu ones have a hole worn in my trigger finger now. (Not just from today)

I didn't even get to go at all in 2021. On the eve of the trial that caused me to not go, it was adjourned to the spring because there were no courtrooms for jury trials. who knows what the heck will happen next. I am very frustrated.

I usually leave them on. But today I noticd I don't get my finger entirely on the trigger, so my hand was more likely to pop off with the recoil. I think dry firing with the glove is next.

Thank you.

Try a thin wool glove liner. I use them all the time and they work great for shooting.

375 Ruger Fan, at very cold temperatures I think the Military as well as most knowledgeable folks just run them (semi-autos) dry. During WWII Uncle Sam issued M-1(s) to Native Alaskans so they could help fight the Japanese if necessary.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg