Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Well after saying no more projects for awhile. This early Browning Safari 30-06 came home with me today. Metal and bore are in great shape. Stock has water damage but still solid. Will do a nice rubbed oil finish on it.
IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

Nice rifle! Love the old Brownings. What type of oil do you like to finish with? I have used Napier's and Linspeed with good results. Napier's seems to be a harder and glossier finish. Linspeed is quite matte. How about a French red or stain? Thanks for sharing!

I actually use TruOil but satin finish it. Probably about 15-20 coats total. Rub out with TreeWax.
Stock maker back in early 1980s showed me this. Been doing ever since.

A very neat early model; I assume a low L-series serial number? Should turn out to be a great project, and can't wait to see the finished product!

Dang man, if you want to sell that I want first right of refusal!!

I called dibs 30 minutes before he posted this thread :D

Unfortunately, a .30/06 AND a .375 H&H followed me home recently, and I'm not even Irish.

They were very prized and I just got lucky - I've been looking hard for .375 H&H for 35 years!

I've got the Browning and a Winchester Model 70 in .375.

The Winchester seems to recoil twice as hard.

@Mark Biggerstaff - Would love to hear an update on the progress of this project. And I'd also like to learn more about the steps you take in the refinishing process you described above.

@Mark Biggerstaff - Would love to hear an update on the progress of this project. And I'd also like to learn more about the steps you take in the refinishing process you described above.

No progress. Just have not found the time. To many other projects going on. It's just sitting in the rack for whenever I get around to it. Mainly when the weather cools off and feel like doing something on days off.

No progress. Just have not found the time. To many other projects going on. It's just sitting in the rack for whenever I get around to it. Mainly when the weather cools off and feel like doing something on days off.
Happens to the best of us, but looking forward to the progress as it happens. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg