Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Anyone familiar with Jim Brockman rifles? There is a left hand .458 Lott that has been on gunsinternational.com for quite some time and I just seem to keep running into it.... I'm wanting a .458 and they just aren't that easy to find in left hand...

I like that this one has a little more heft than the Montana I've been looking at (not that I couldn't add weight to the Montana), but this one is at least an option.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?gun_id=100324072

Looks like a great gun! Sounds like the seller will never make his planned safari so perhaps you need to help eliminate the reminder that he had it this close. And with all the extras he has offered separately, sounds like time to negotiate.

Does the bolt handle show wear or is that just lighting in the photo? Do you like the laminate? That thing should be a survivor and could handle a climate like Alaska.

Yeah, I would definitely negotiate, especially as I can get a brand new Montana for less, but this one is intriguing.

Good question on the bolt handle. I had thought it was lighting but now I'm not so sure. I'm fine with the laminate. Not my very first choice, but I'm more concerned with function than finish. I shot the seller a note. Will see if he responds. Like I said, it has been listed for a long time. So it may be sold, or has other issues?

Good luck! Most laminate is functional and heavy duty. Gotta like that that part.

Bump...

Still wondering if anyone knows about Brockman. The fact this rifle has been for sale for so long concerns me a little, but I keep going back and looking at it....

It has a 3 day inspection and return policy. If it is still for sale, negotiate it down on price! Also has 30mm QD rings.

What rifles do you have now in left hand? How bad do you need or want it?

I almost pulled the trigger on a M70 anyversary special 458 win and been kicking myself ever since... A used one now is $500 more than I could have bough that new for only a couple years ago.... They had it on closeout, not a very big market for a gun like that.

It has a 3 day inspection and return policy. If it is still for sale, negotiate it down on price! Also has 30mm QD rings.

What rifles do you have now in left hand? How bad do you need or want it?

I almost pulled the trigger on a M70 anyversary special 458 win and been kicking myself ever since... A used one now is $500 more than I could have bough that new for only a couple years ago.... They had it on closeout, not a very big market for a gun like that.

That's kinda my dilema. I have a .375 H&H and don't "need" the rifle, at least not now. Best case I go on a tuskless hunt in 4-5 years. Until then this rifle would just be fun to have and fun to shoot.

I was hoping that someone could offer up experience with the gunmaker that might influence me, but since that hasn't happened I think that I will probably just wait a bit and then get a Montana AVR. The montana is 1 LB lighter (only 8 lbs), but that can certainly be fixed if need be and it is $1000 less.

I'm probably just going to wait unless someone comes along and tells me this rifle is a steal.

On this board we may tend to forget there is not a lot of demand for used big bore guns. Even less for left handed. The ad basically says he will never use it. Throw out an offer for $1000 on it if you like it. Do it such that it does not insult him and let him stew on it for a while. Sorry I know nothing of the brand.

don't concern your self with words like "need", if you want it then buy it. I don't "need" a rifle in 505 Gibbs but I bought one anyway because I want one!

but as the others have said here make sure you bargain the price down some. id offer him more then $1000 but still under $2000 and see what he says.

-matt

don't concern your self with words like "need", if you want it then buy it. I don't "need" a rifle in 505 Gibbs but I bought one anyway because I want one!

but as the others have said here make sure you bargain the price down some. id offer him more then $1000 but still under $2000 and see what he says.

-matt

Like I needed to ask what your position on this would be Matt!!!! :)

Part of it is the whole "afford" word right now too. The plan has always been to buy a Montana over the next 1-2 years well before I "need" it, but after I've saved up a bit more again. I'm asking about the bluing and will then decide on making an offer. I don't want to pay anymore than I would pay for the Montana regardless. That I do know. Brand new on Brockman's site this is a $4.3K rifle, so it probably will come down to whether this guy needs the money or if he is willing to hang onto it for a while. It has been for sale for well over six months I think.

there could be a reason im broke all the time...:whistle:

id rather eat cheap pasta every night for dinner and have nice guns then eat good food and only dream of nice guns!

-matt

there could be a reason im broke all the time...:whistle:

id rather eat cheap pasta every night for dinner and have nice guns then eat good food and only dream of nice guns!

-matt

I would be fine with that, but my wife ISN'T!!! :cautious:

Make an offer that you are comfortable with, and that is acceptable to the seller (I don't think $1,000 would be...). If the rifle is good, fits you, and you like it, keep it. Check that it feeds .458 WM properly, and if it does not get it to feed (a good gunsmith can do that). The shorter .458 WM cases in long actions are finicky to feed, but when the rail/ramp geometry is tuned there is no problem. Left-handed .458 Lotts are difficult to sell, but also difficult to come by...

Make an offer that you are comfortable with, and that is acceptable to the seller (I don't think $1,000 would be...). If the rifle is good, fits you, and you like it, keep it. Check that it feeds .458 WM properly, and if it does not get it to feed (a good gunsmith can do that). The shorter .458 WM cases in long actions are finicky to feed, but when the rail/ramp geometry is tuned there is no problem. Left-handed .458 Lotts are difficult to sell, but also difficult to come by...

Both the seller and I agree with this! We made a deal. I'll have the rifle within a couple of weeks. :)

DSC_0027-2.JPG

Congrats Royal, looks like a super nice rifle!

That will do the job! Play with it until your wife gets a problem with that, then take it to Africa!

Now you've gone and done it... You'll have to save up for an elephant hunt!

Now you've gone and done it... You'll have to save up for an elephant hunt!

I told my cousin I bought it. He said, "good, now you're committed."

I think 2018 will be leopard/tuskless. If the ban stands in Zim I might just do another buff. The sacrifices we have to make!!!!

Nice snag!

Brockman has a very good reputation and has done a lot of customizing work on big bore levers for many years. I would be surprised if this rifle is not well sorted out.

Oh, and by the way, you are my new hero!

You go to Zim for Buff and Hippo, back a few weeks and buy a Brockman customized Lott...and you are going for PG in RSA next May.

I need to take a few lessons from you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross