Brno?

yes 9.3x64, round smooth bolt knob, single trigger, straight stock does have a ring to it.
the scope and mounts look both interesting and nice.
not those horrible high european mounts.
bruce.

What, as oposed to the crap the put out these days ????

Really ????

I don't even want to mention the brands and models here or too many will get their panties knotted up

well it does have less than 3 and more than 1 locking lugs.
that is a good thing.
overall, with the improvements i suggested, it would be a rifle to die for after rechambering to 280 rem.
bruce.

except for the excessive drop at heel.
bruce.
I reckon that the drop in (and pitch of) the stock; is just about right for a hunting (as opposed to bush-sniping) rifle but then ... I am not a height-deprived person, i.e. a short-arse!

I don't find the drop excessive. Perfect for the iron sights these rifles come with. Brnos and CZs always seem to shoulder and aim very nicely and naturally for me and they seem to kick less than other makes in same caliber. Even their "lumber" stocks of today. When I use the scope on these I don't feel like I'm stretching my neck or anything similar, so they feel natural with the scope as well. :unsure:

If you go here
sold brno
and look at the pictures, the last two images show 1951 Gun Digest entry. Not that I would trust them to know east block country firearm designations but it shows how they were viewed here in NA or at lest the USA at that time. It would seem 21 was half stock and 22 full stock. Just like Longwalker's add pic seems to indicate. There were both rifles with ~23.5" barrels and carbines with ~20.5" barrels.

For us in Canada, I agree with Longwalker as these rifles being known as 21 for rifle and 22 for carbine and F and H for stock length regardless of model. So, Cannucks are most likely wrong, but it is hard to undo decades long habit.;)

Oh yeah, and while CZ 550 stocks definitely feel "clubby", at least they are still made of real walnut. It is Turkish walnut now, not Czech or German (they must have used up all the walnuts as they are hard to see growing anywhere these days) but still a walnut.

I recently acquired a BRNO 21H 8X57 from an estate sale and have a question about the safety. I am not familiar with these rifles or double set triggers. The rifle is in nice condition, but the safety seems to be "frozen". I cannot get it to move. Anyone have any ideas? I plan on reselling the rifle.

The Brno 21H rifles were equipped with a wing type safety on the cocking piece shroud, that was two position only. It does not lock the bolt. And it is a bit too close to the scope. If were mine and the safety was broken, I'd choose to replace it because any good M98 bolt shroud safety can replace it with minimal fitting. And you can upgrade to a horizontal swing M70 type safety that has three positions and locks the bolt and stays out of the way of the scope. I have replaced the safeties on three of those rifles, one with a Recknagel ( best) and two with a Dakota safety. All are an improvement over the original.

The Brno 21H rifles were equipped with a wing type safety on the cocking piece shroud, that was two position only. It does not lock the bolt. And it is a bit too close to the scope. If were mine and the safety was broken, I'd choose to replace it because any good M98 bolt shroud safety can replace it with minimal fitting. And you can upgrade to a horizontal swing M70 type safety that has three positions and locks the bolt and stays out of the way of the scope. I have replaced the safeties on three of those rifles, one with a Recknagel ( best) and two with a Dakota safety. All are an improvement over the original.
Thank you for the reply. How difficult is it to replace? The safety won't move. I have minimal gunsmithing skills, but could definitely perform a basic replacement.

IMG_20221005_155707343.jpg
IMG_20221005_155730736.jpg
IMG_20221005_155738924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your question because I had my safeties installed by a gunsmith. It does require skills beyond what I consider "advanced tinkerer". I wasn't willing to attempt the job myself and I'm reasonably handy with minor gunsmithing. A suggestion - take the bolt out of your rifle and turn out the cocking piece. That should allow closer inspection and perhaps reveal the problem.

You might get lucky… but most replacement shrouds with integrated wing safety (as well as commercial shrouds without them) require some minor fitting…

If you have basic tools and knowledge you can do it yourself.. or a decent gunsmith wouldnt charge you much.. it’s neither a difficult or time consuming task

A suggestion - take the bolt out of your rifle and turn out the cocking piece. That should allow closer inspection and perhaps reveal the problem.

Excellent suggestion…

I removed the bolt but couldn't see anything obvious. After thinking about it, I have decided to take it to a good gunsmith. I shouldn't be messing with a safety. Now, I have to find a good gunsmith in my area. Thanks for all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross