Brno ZKK Peep Sights

Fallschirmjaeger

AH member
Reaction score
I now own two (1960's) Brno ZKK rifles with the pop up peep sight in the rear bridge. I have heard of people losing these sights accidentally. Is there something I should be aware of regarding these sights? Do they tend to fall out or do people just remove them to mount scopes and then lose them? I'd also like to hear any thoughts, observances, recommendations, or experiences with anything related to these pop up sights.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Some peep sights are added on top of the rear bridge. What makes me say this is your question Fallschirmjaeger "do people just remove them to mount scopes and then lose them?" I have no experience with them on the ZKK, but yes I suppose some folks could misplace them after removal...
1641158562363.png

HOWEVER, if we are talking about the factory pop up peep sight, I am with Clodo Ferreira, I think that it is about impossible for it to fall off the rifle, or to be misplaced in the field because, of course, it does not need to be removed from the rifle to install a scope.

Because I am a "belt AND suspender" kind of a guy when it comes to rifles in the field (this is probably coming from having seen how issue rifles are treated in the military...) I remember gluing the two adjustment screws (Loctite Blue) after zeroing the peep on my first ZKK, that had a factory pop up peep sight, just to be on the extra safe side.

Zkk 602 peep sight.JPG

This is easy to do: count the turns of the front elevation screw when you remove it and reinsert it after degreasing the thread and dipping the screw generously in blue loctite; and use the index notches on the support piece to keep the peep in the same place when you do the same for the rear azimuth screw.

I have personally never heard of any case of the factory peep being lost in the field. The pop up support is impossible to loose unless the axis is worn out, in which case you should pin a new hardened steel one in, and the above method guaranties that the most vulnerable part, the peep itself, will not detach, and the adjustment screws will not loosen.

Last edited:
Every case I know of where the pop up rear sight was lost, was a case that it had been removed for whatever reason and the parts subsequently lost or the rifle sold minus the sight.

Ok good. I figured it was due to people removing them for whatever reason and losing them. But since they are practically irreplaceable, I wanted to ensure I didn't neglect something and lose them in the woods. I may go the loctite route. These are phenomenal guns and the pop up peep sight ups their cool factor perhaps beyond my ZG. Great feature and great design. Now if someone would just write an all inclusive book of the Brno sporting guns, I'd be thrilled.

Wonderful sight, and I wish I had more rifles so equipped. One of the great mysteries of the firearm world is why anyone would ever remove that sight. There is no good reason to do so. That yours is missing is a tragedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH