Breaking in a tight new double rifle

I hope I’m not derailing the thread too much, but does anyone know a good alternative to kroil? I didn’t know it was so hard to source. I guess I take for granted I can buy a large can of aerokroil (the areosol version) for $15.
I would assume any penetration oil would work, granted probably not as well.

I hope I’m not derailing the thread too much, but does anyone know a good alternative to kroil? I didn’t know it was so hard to source. I guess I take for granted I can buy a large can of aerokroil (the areosol version) for $15.
I would assume any penetration oil would work, granted probably not as well.

Amazon. Buy a big can of it. You’re a farmer, so it might be worth buying a gallon for a lifetime supply trying to Un seize things on tractors.

The hazmat and shipping exceeds the cost of the kroil. Might as well go big.

Postscript: I’ll be darned! It looks like Kroil is now officially a seller on Amazon! They literally ran all those independent sellers price gouging off the site! 8 ounce can is only $22!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.26.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 2.26.23 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
Lon,

If you do not have Kroil for the light lubricant Kevin described for surface smoothing- used Automatic transmission fluid will work in place of kroil.

@Wyatt Smith - The used ATF was shown to me by the old man who owned the local gun store in my home town.

Can’t tell you how many stuck shotgun choke tubes we removed by soaking the muzzle of the shotgun in a jar of used ATF overnight when I competed in college.

Yes Kroil is amazing & I agree the best, but burnt ATF fluid is both effective and cost effective.

Kevin..can you explain what you mean by pressure smoothening..? What happens to the metal surfaces exposed to pressure jolts over time..?

Last edited:
Amazon. Buy a big can of it. You’re a farmer, so it might be worth buying a gallon for a lifetime supply trying to Un seize things on tractors.

The hazmat and shipping exceeds the cost of the kroil. Might as well go big.
Hi Rookhawk,

Amazon? I do not think they deliver to Milibizi, Zimbabwe. Then we have customs and Zimra to deal with. I have about a 1/2 can left, it is at least 15yrs old. I will give the bearing surfaces a light coat and watch for galling.

I am not sure about some of the other makes of doubles, but the Heyms seem excessively tight. As I previously stated nothing breaks a double in like actually shooting them.

Lon

Hi Lon, without letting the cat out of the bag I know the situation very well. Relax though, this is good news, you don't have a problem there, you have a blessing. These doubles are made to extremely close tolerances. I am a metallurgical engineer as you know and i took a magnifying glass to these surfaces. Yes the action is stiff, but you will notice that it is uniformly so as it opens and closes. There are no high spots I could discern, just perfect still marry up all over.
It simply has to wear in a very little bit. My advice is:
1. Wipe off as much of the grease you put on the surfaces as possible.
2. Put on a very light coating of very light oil onto the mating surfaces.
3. Work the action until your arms ache, maybe three hundred times.
4. The action will have eased up, not from wear, but from pressure smoothening.
5. DO NOT use any abrasive creams or any type of abrasive, you are not needing to remove metal, just pressure smooth the mating surfaces.
6. When the action is as easy as you like it (it will always be a little stiff, it is the nature of the modern close tolerance), then clean off all the surfaces and rub on a minute amount of moly di-sulphide paste, very little and rub it in well. those surfaces will now probably not wear at ell for a very very long time.
7. Now just oil very lightly and you are good.

My double is now much easier to cock and on top of the above action working I have put about 100 rounds through it. Yours will loosen up, it takes a bit of time.
Kevin, Thank you for the advice. I will do my best to remove all grease and then try the Kroil if I remember correctly Safari Outdoors carries it, but I still have plenty. I need to make a version of a padded stiching pony up something that I can sit on insert the barrels into and then open and close the action, this leaves one hand free for drinking a cold castle.

Here is what I do to make a tight (especially double gun) smoother. Get or make some snap caps. You need at least 4 for a double gun. Turn on the news. Dry fire (and reload) at everything that makes your blood boil. Gives you some great practice and smooths out the firearm. It's also great therapy. :LOL: Works for me on several levels.

Safe shooting

Here is what I do to make a tight (especially double gun) smoother. Get or make some snap caps. You need at least 4 for a double gun. Turn on the news. Dry fire (and reload) at everything that makes your blood boil. Gives you some great practice and smooths out the firearm. It's also great therapy. :LOL: Works for me on several levels.

Safe shooting
If you turn on CNN you will get it smooth in no time.

The Communist News Network (CNN) provides some of my favorite training images. :LOL:

Safe shooting and safe training

Really great tips here on the very thing I am looking for. I shall use CNN for this procedure, as I really hate these cretins. Finally a good use of anger management. Thanks Kevin!

Kevin I had to think a couple of seconds before “CNN” dawned on me.
I have another Idea we have so many elephants around right now I could practice dry firing with snap caps. Or not!

I have always found the best method to fix this problem is use, whether it be a double or a bolt gun. I understand this doesn't really help you alot as it sounds like you don't have a whole lot of ammo just lying around but as some others have mentioned I would definitely avoid using abrasives to remove material.
As I mentioned in this comment, use is always the best method to break in a new rifle in my opinion and it has worked well with my new Chapuis double. I put 25 rounds through it on the first trip to the range, it was still a little stiff after this but much better. Next trip I put a further 20 rounds through the rifle, it's still quite firm/tight and takes more muscle to open and close than one would expect but 100% better than what it was out of the box. From here I definitely wouldn't say it needs anymore breaking in, I'm sure it will free up more in time but as it is now it's fine.

Kevin I had to think a couple of seconds before “CNN” dawned on me.
I have another Idea we have so many elephants around right now I could practice dry firing with snap caps. Or not!
Forget snap caps Lon, use primers, then you can practise running too..

As I mentioned in this comment, use is always the best method to break in a new rifle in my opinion and it has worked well with my new Chapuis double. I put 25 rounds through it on the first trip to the range, it was still a little stiff after this but much better. Next trip I put a further 20 rounds through the rifle, it's still quite firm/tight and takes more muscle to open and close than one would expect but 100% better than what it was out of the box. From here I definitely wouldn't say it needs anymore breaking in, I'm sure it will free up more in time but as it is now it's fine.
I bet you were a little stiff after that lot too!

With this continuation…is it necessary for the cross bolt to gull engage or will a smaller insert action be safe!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.