BOWHUNTING Turkey

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
14,041
Reaction score
10,650
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
5,597
Articles
321
Turkey Bowhunting Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to bowhunting shot placement.

Bowhunting Turkey
turkey-vitals-bowhunting.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).

Bowhunting Turkey
turkey-bowhunting-vitals.jpg

Anyone has the right to share, copy, distribute and transmit this image/work (but not to adapt it, or use it for commercial use).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
B4FD26F0-0628-4BCA-812A-57387A02612D.jpeg

Good day my fellow hunters. Not sure how accurate this pic is I found via google but I’m just curious as it looks pretty true to me but I’ve only recently gotten serious about chasing gobblers and plan to with my recurve(#45@28”, roughly 700 grain arrow with a good sharp two blade broadhead). If this isn’t where to post this then I do apologize.

Thanks in advance,

~Danny
 
I have way more fun hunting turkeys than deer. Way more interaction. It can be tough and it can be easy lol. Been strictly bowhunting them since 2011. All turkeys are different which is what makes it fun. You may get one that comes right in, the next stats just outside bow range no matter what you throw at it.
 
I have way more fun hunting turkeys than deer. Way more interaction. It can be tough and it can be easy lol. Been strictly bowhunting them since 2011. All turkeys are different which is what makes it fun. You may get one that comes right in, the next stats just outside bow range no matter what you throw at it.
I couldn’t agree more. I like the challenge and the excitement
 
I couldn’t agree more. I like the challenge and the excitement


Looks fine to me, @DoubleLunger . Your arrow is certainly plenty heavy (too heavy?) for turkey. Make sure you have a nice big cutting surface to give you a broader margin of error. It sounds like your current recurve setup is rigged for big game. It should work fine for deer, but a lighter arrow may give you more precision (less drop, less movement to range the bird, thus more success).
 
DoubleLunger,
Not knowing all the particulars, ie draw length, type of recurve, etc.

Here's my hunting setup using a recurve.

Ben Pearson or Hoyt take down:
45# draw weight at 28"
Draw length 30"
Carbon Express or Gold Tip arrows
3 each 2 1/2 inch veins or 4 inch feather
.003 - .001 straightness
Montech G5 100 grain fixed 3 blade broad head
Total arrow weight ~438 or ~ 450 grains
I forget what my FOC and arrow speed is.

Your shot placement targets look to be accurate.

If you get a chance find a local archery club that shoots ASA 3D tournaments shooting a 3D turkey target is great practice for hunting season.

Good luck and happy hunting.
 
Ha ha! I was never successful taking turkeys with my recurve. But it was great fun trying. Had them jump or duck the arrow numerous times. Once one just wouldn’t cross a three strand barbed wire fence, so I thought at 30 yards I could hit him. Nope hit the bottom barbed wire! Arrow went straight up. Such goes with turkey hunting.
Best of luck!
 
D642F9C0-BF11-46E9-9477-0A1A0E23C940.jpeg

Took a shot at a hen last fall during archery season with my crossbow. Didn’t see the limb and couldn’t believe nothing happened to the hen at the shot. Ruined the bolt too.
They were on the other side of the tree from me, luckily I was able to reload and take her.
 
Gobbler Guilliotine broadhead at 13 yards. This is a frame grab from my hunting buddy's video. You can see the arrow (Black line and red "FOB" fletching just beyond the bird.
Head Off 1 edit.jpg
 
DoubleLunger,
Not knowing all the particulars, ie draw length, type of recurve, etc.

Here's my hunting setup using a recurve.

Ben Pearson or Hoyt take down:
45# draw weight at 28"
Draw length 30"
Carbon Express or Gold Tip arrows
3 each 2 1/2 inch veins or 4 inch feather
.003 - .001 straightness
Montech G5 100 grain fixed 3 blade broad head
Total arrow weight ~438 or ~ 450 grains
I forget what my FOC and arrow speed is.

Your shot placement targets look to be accurate.

If you get a chance find a local archery club that shoots ASA 3D tournaments shooting a 3D turkey target is great practice for hunting season.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Thanks much! I’ve thought about going lighter but if it works for deer etc then I just figured why not instead of getting more gear. I appreciate the info
 
Ha ha! I was never successful taking turkeys with my recurve. But it was great fun trying. Had them jump or duck the arrow numerous times. Once one just wouldn’t cross a three strand barbed wire fence, so I thought at 30 yards I could hit him. Nope hit the bottom barbed wire! Arrow went straight up. Such goes with turkey hunting.
Best of luck!
I can relate to the same kind of luck even though I have yet to come to full draw on a turkey
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,220
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top