Bowhunting Giraffe

Thanks for all the advice. I put it into practice in less than two weeks. I'm shooting great with my setup out to 40 yards. I hope that does the trick. Frontal or side shot, I'm pretty comfortable with knowing where I need to hit thanks to Jerome's bowhunting shot gallery.

It really is of prime importance that you practise and make sure that you hit the correct spot. It is a huge animal. Make sure that your bow is correct and that you have the correct arrows.It is not so easy to get up close as he has the vision of an eagle and then the hight of a ligh house. Good luck and do tell us how it went.

What a great experience. My gear was perfect for the giraffe hunt. I used:

Grizzlystik Safari arrow
315 grain "Nanook" broadhead by Alaska Bowhunting
Mathews Switchback

Total arrow weight was right at 1,000 grains. Excellent flight and penetration. Those Nanook heads are literally the sharpest and best broadheads I have ever used and/or seen.

_MG_8340.jpg

_MG_8349.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_8340.jpeg
    _MG_8340.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 388
  • _MG_8349.jpeg
    _MG_8349.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0130.jpeg
    DSC_0130.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 307
I to have taken a Giraffe with a bow. But I was very upset because the PH wanted me to shoot a Giraffe because they had to many and would have to cull later if enough were not taken during the season. Well the price kept going down until I couldn't resist. I was very upset later when we went up to the animal and saw how thick the hide and skin were. I got very little penetration which resulted up in being a PH rifle kill. I would never have shot had I new the poundage needed to bring one of these wonderful animals down. Use at least 80 lbs and a German Kenetic Broadhead. Place the shot well and you will have your trophy. Ps that was my first safari I'm wiser now!!!

Congratulations - well done - nice trophy

I'm not sure the arrows and draw weight need to be as extreme as what is being stated. I was on a hunt where the hunter used a 70 lb matthews monster and arrows right abut 625 grains total including 200 grain Hunor 2 blade broadhead. The shot was a 35 meter frontal shot and the arrow disappeared into the chest. The large bull giraffe then kicked and took two steps before walking back to the hunter. Then he turned and walked about 50 meters before falling. The whole time you could see blood shoot out of the entrance wound. The skinners found the arrow inside the bull. It had passed completely through the heart and stopped in the stomach.

A guy I know killed one cleanly with a #70 pound recurve and a Ashby head and a heavy arrow. His video is on You tube. The right broadhead and a heavy arrow are more important than extreme poundage and speed in my opinion.

well done great work

Shot Shot

Still thinking this may have to be a target on my next trip

Go for it kal!

The lighter arrows(500-650isg gr) will work most of the time on a frontal shot but the shot has to be good, there is not a lot of room for error. I took two bulls this past year with a bow. Broad side double lung and heart...80lb Mathews Wake with 950 gr total weight grizzly sticks / 200 grain single bevel broad head 26% FOC....Set up worked perfectly, one I center punched rib on entry and split rib length ways and still got the lungs and heart.......one was at 25 yards and one was at 40yards. My buddy also harvested one and had a pass through right at 40yrds broadside with 70# prime bow at 28" and 850gr grizzly sticks 25%FOC (same single bevel broad head I was shooting)...........unless you want to limit yourself to just a frontal shot I would recommend at least 70# with 850ish gr total weight arrow and solid two blade broad head....try to get above 100KE value and as close to 90M or more value as you can, mine was 117KE and 98M. We have had several others attempt shots with much lighter arrows which did not penetrate past the broad head and just fell out, really just skin penetration.....Call and talk to Garrett at Alaska Bow Hunters Supply about Grizzly sticks and single bevel broad heads he will set you up with the right gear for compound or traditional large game bow hunting........I was very impressed with them and their products

Great trophy! Congrats!

We did harvest this one with a PSE Xforce omen, 80 pounds an 30", with an axis 300 with German kinetic silver flame 200 grains. Arrow weight about 600 grains. The set up was good enought and the Giraffe was taken down with one frontal shot. After few tests afterwards, i will say the set up was a bit light for a broadside shot as penetration was not enought ( just 3/4 of the arrow lenth and less when hitting ribs). So the hevier the arrow to get your best KE and Momentum, the better. Dont under stimate this animals, they tought.

jirafa Family Hunting.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great trophies guys, congratulations.
Shoot my Giraffe bull in August 2014 with PH Izak Vos and Vos Safaris in RSA.
Used an Elite GT 500 bow with 90# and Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows with Muzzy Phantom SS 200 grain BH (total arrow weight 800 grain).
Broadside shot as shown in the earlier shot placement picture.
As said earlier: "Don´t underestimate these big animals, they are tough and a heavy arrow is definetly better for penetration."
Always good hunting.

Giraffe Vos Safaris.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross