AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
I've got annoying ankles. They roll outward so far that I could walk on the sides of my feet, no kidding. I dislike hightop boots but if I don't wear them I'll be walking along, an ankle will roll, and I'll drop uncontrolled to the ground. It's been happening all my life to the point where my left ankle has what the doctor calls a chronic sprain.

I can't say how much I've spent on boots over the years searching for a solution I can live with. One that does, although unsure how noisy it would be in a heavy leafy area, is the Shadow Intruder 8" from Lalo. An interesting feature with these boots is you can cut a lace and laces won't loosen. Very practical but does slow down unlacing the boots. I haven't fallen with these yet (just jinxed that). Hope this helps others with weak ankles.

https://lalo.com/collections/tactical-boots/products/shadow-intruder-8-coyote

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.09.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.09.56 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 67
Look into Kenetrek.

Safaris. (if you want warm-weather boots that are not waterproof)

Maybe the Hardscrabble, if you want "hiking" type boots that are waterproof.

I'm in the process of getting Mountain Extremes, but the Safari may be my next purchase.

Find a dealer near you and try them on, if possible.

Support the "mom & pop" stores, if you can!

At last report, Jeff Bezos is still doing OK.

I have the same problems, always sprain ankles and my wrists to. Me being very heavy makes it much worse to. Most boots don't fit me properly I have a short wide foot with high arch and now I'm heavy boots don't lace up all the way, basically the boot tung leaves a gap where the lace hooks/ loops meet.
I have a like new pair of red wing loggers given to me that are pretty much unwearble.

I did like a few pairs of the military style boots with the side zipper, seemed a bit more sturdy.

one trick I learned is to get longer laces and do a wrap or two around the ankle then do them up like normal.
you could see about some nicks boots there pricy but they can add some extra support, and they can rebuild them so that saves some money down the road.

Ive had an excellent experience with 5.11 Xprt boots. I bought a pair on a bit of a whim a few years back when they were on clearance at a local 5.11 retail store (normally $225.. I think I got them for $75?).. They have hunted Kodiak, AK.. hiked mountains in Colorado, etc.. and are what I typically wear in wet/muddy hunting conditions at home.. they provide outstanding ankle support, arch support, etc.. are warm, dry, etc as well...

and.. by coincidence.. they are on clearance right now on the 5.11 website... normally $225.. on sale for $99...

FWIW, I am a big guy... I am extremely hard on footwear (6'4".. 255lbs).. I blow through a pair of quality running shoes about every 5-6 months.. and typically can only get a decent set of hunting boots to last 2-3 years max...

My Xprt's are 4 years old now.. and have at least 2-3 years left in them I am pretty sure..

Im half tempted to buy another pair now, while they are on clearance.. just so I know I have a backup for whenever the ones I am currently wearing wear out... I like them that much..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.14.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.14.57 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.14.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.14.59 AM.png
    514.7 KB · Views: 45
I have the same problems, always sprain ankles and my wrists to. Me being very heavy makes it much worse to. Most boots don't fit me properly I have a short wide foot with high arch and now I'm heavy boots don't lace up all the way, basically the boot tung leaves a gap where the lace hooks/ loops meet.
I have a like new pair of red wing loggers given to me that are pretty much unwearble.

I did like a few pairs of the military style boots with the side zipper, seemed a bit more sturdy.

one trick I learned is to get longer laces and do a wrap or two around the ankle then do them up like normal.
you could see about some nicks boots there pricy but they can add some extra support, and they can rebuild them so that saves some money down the road.
You need to look into full custom boots from the likes of Nick's, Wesco or White's. These are expensive boots, but you will get what you pay for. I have 2 pairs of Wesco Jobmaster boots I use for tree work...one of the best investments I made. They can also make ones for use on safari, but I have yet to do so. Take care of your feet my friend.

https://nicksboots.com/
https://builder.wescoboots.com/
https://whitesboots.com/

My Meindls are about as stiff as I can stand.
I will say this about weak ankles based on my daughters experience in volleyball. Braces that protect your ankle as often prevent them from getting stronger because they are doing the heavy lifting. I hope your doctor who said you have a chronic strain has referred you to PT to actually strengthen/stabilize your ankles. I use one of those half yoga ball things and simply stand on one foot on it. You will be shocked at how unstable your ankles are - I was. Once you are good with your eyes open, close them. It was start everything all over again. It’s no impact, but does a great job of working the little stabilizer muscles. Good luck.

Kenetrek. I have the Mountain Extremes, Hardscrabble as well as the pack boots.
They can make you the orthotic boots, check out their website for them.
Best boots I have ever owned, period.

You need to look into full custom boots from the likes of Nick's, Wesco or White's. These are expensive boots, but you will get what you pay for. I have 2 pairs of Wesco Jobmaster boots I use for tree work...one of the best investments I made. They can also make ones for use on safari, but I have yet to do so. Take care of your feet my friend.

https://nicksboots.com/
https://builder.wescoboots.com/
https://whitesboots.com/
I'd like to see about a pair of nicks, I just have to ask if they can make them to fit my thick lower shin/calf. One of these years I'd like to visit a friend in WA and my stop in so maybe they can fit me better then there send send home fit kit.

I'd like to see about a pair of nicks, I just have to ask if they can make them to fit my thick lower shin/calf. One of these years I'd like to visit a friend in WA and my stop in so maybe they can fit me better then there send send home fit kit.
I had mine custom fit by the factory personnel at a special event. They traced my foot, took circumference measurements at 3 places on my foot, they took measurements all the way up my calf because I was having 16" and 12" boots made. Their attention to detail was amazing, truly bespoke footwear. I'd expect Nick's to do the same.

Good luck with it.

My Meindls are about as stiff as I can stand.
I will say this about weak ankles based on my daughters experience in volleyball. Braces that protect your ankle as often prevent them from getting stronger because they are doing the heavy lifting. I hope your doctor who said you have a chronic strain has referred you to PT to actually strengthen/stabilize your ankles. I use one of those half yoga ball things and simply stand on one foot on it. You will be shocked at how unstable your ankles are - I was. Once you are good with your eyes open, close them. It was start everything all over again. It’s no impact, but does a great job of working the little stabilizer muscles. Good luck.

Amen to that. I’ve been strengthening my ankles with exercises all year and along with losing some weight it pays-off in the bush.

I've got the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and they are outstanding mountain boots, except sheep and goat hunting where I prefer La Sportiva. But for me they aren't what I want for Safari. I'm hoping Courteney's Jameson will be what I'm looking forward. Got em on order. Will report back once I have them and had a chance to wear them. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I've got annoying ankles. They roll outward so far that I could walk on the sides of my feet, no kidding. I dislike hightop boots but if I don't wear them I'll be walking along, an ankle will roll, and I'll drop uncontrolled to the ground. It's been happening all my life to the point where my left ankle has what the doctor calls a chronic sprain.

I can't say how much I've spent on boots over the years searching for a solution I can live with. One that does, although unsure how noisy it would be in a heavy leafy area, is the Shadow Intruder 8" from Lalo. An interesting feature with these boots is you can cut a lace and laces won't loosen. Very practical but does slow down unlacing the boots. I haven't fallen with these yet (just jinxed that). Hope this helps others with weak ankles.

https://lalo.com/collections/tactical-boots/products/shadow-intruder-8-coyote
You need one of those slip on ankle supports that atheletes use plus high top boots. Check out Lowa and Kenetrek. Those tacticool boots will not serve you well compared to these.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.24 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.33 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 10.23.41 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
I have a pair of Crispi Thors that are both very lightweight and provide stiff ankle support. I recommend them if they fit your feet.

I bought a pair of Browning Upland Bird Hunting boots years ago. They are made from Kangaroo hide, lightweight and very tuff. They are not water resistant let alone waterproof. They are uninsulated and require good wool socks for cooler weather. They came in EEE widths which was unusual, trouble is I don't know if they are still available.

I bought a pair of Browning Upland Bird Hunting boots years ago. They are made from Kangaroo hide, lightweight and very tuff. They are not water resistant let alone waterproof. They are uninsulated and require good wool socks for cooler weather. They came in EEE widths which was unusual, trouble is I don't know if they are still available.
Once you find something that fits well AND works for you...stock up. Stopping production always seems to be the norm now.

I was wearing summits til I started rolling my left ankle a lot 2 seasons back. Switched to the beefier briksdals and have only come close to rolling it once now. They sit 1” taller than the nevadas, but both have the ABSS. Only way I would go lighter with boots now is if I can out train my ankle issues. Only you can make that call.

Not a boot recommendation, but have you ever thought about seeing a chiropractor for an extremity adjustment? I think it would be beneficial for you to give it a try!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you