Booked 3rd African Hunt May 2022- Questions on My Mind?

This is a little unique and many would not understand. I love hunting with Bossie but hate having an entourage so if he needs to have another PH conduct the hunt in another country, I will just book directly. But having known Bossie a long time and how he operates. I fully understand what you did. Bossie goes out of his way to put together good deals for his friends. So perfectly sensible the way you are going about this.

Bossie is "The Man" when it comes to night critters. We had Hyenas within feet of us, I think I actually felt ones breath as it sniffed us in pitch black dark. Has a Honey Badger at out feet before he snarled, growled and huffed off... exciting as it gets without being on an elephant, buffalo, leopard, or lion hunt!

And he has the equipment. I would do the night hunt, if there during the rut, hunt kudu during the day. Add in some tiny critters. The cape is a cool place to visit but a long ways from Limpopo. Schedule a layover and catch it on your own. Me, I'd rent a car and do it myself... well. I have;)

Limpopo is Bossie's home and IMO the best area to hunt with him.

Rifle, definitely not a 22-250. That will blow those little critters apart. A 30-06 with a slow 220 grain bullet. A 22 Hornet. A shotgun. 7x57 or 275 Rigby with heavy bullets is even too fast. I can't think of a best caliber. Maybe a 30-30;)

You need accuracy, heavy enough for kudu and hyena, slow enough to not blow up little critters but accurate enough to hit them. 30-06 keeps coming to mind. Plus something more than DJ's 410 for a shotgun so take a double barrel shotgun with in 12 or at least 20 gauge.

Vic Falls is on my list. But hope to catch it with a trip to Zim or Zam.

Thanks ActionBob! I agree 100% and am leaning exactly to your recommendation. Unless Bossie comes up with an impossible deal to turn down on dangerous game in Zambia or Zimbabwe.

Last October I was going for plains game and he came up with a Buffalo hunt. He knew my dream and put together my dream hunt. I guess I am dreaming of another deal like last year.

Thanks again for you input. This is also what Bossie was suggesting as a pliminary plan.
This is a little unique and many would not understand. I love hunting with Bossie but hate having an entourage so if he needs to have another PH conduct the hunt in another country, I will just book directly. But having known Bossie a long time and how he operates. I fully understand what you did. Bossie goes out of his way to put together good deals for his friends. So perfectly sensible the way you are going about this.

Bossie is "The Man" when it comes to night critters. We had Hyenas within feet of us, I think I actually felt ones breath as it sniffed us in pitch black dark. Has a Honey Badger at out feet before he snarled, growled and huffed off... exciting as it gets without being on an elephant, buffalo, leopard, or lion hunt!

And he has the equipment. I would do the night hunt, if there during the rut, hunt kudu during the day. Add in some tiny critters. The cape is a cool place to visit but a long ways from Limpopo. Schedule a layover and catch it on your own. Me, I'd rent a car and do it myself... well. I have;)

Limpopo is Bossie's home and IMO the best area to hunt with him.

Rifle, definitely not a 22-250. That will blow those little critters apart. A 30-06 with a slow 220 grain bullet. A 22 Hornet. A shotgun. 7x57 or 275 Rigby with heavy bullets is even too fast. I can't think of a best caliber. Maybe a 30-30;)

You need accuracy, heavy enough for kudu and hyena, slow enough to not blow up little critters but accurate enough to hit them. 30-06 keeps coming to mind. Plus something more than DJ's 410 for a shotgun so take a double barrel shotgun with in 12 or at least 20 gauge.

Vic Falls is on my list. But hope to catch it with a trip to Zim or Zam.

Seeing that you don't know where, what or how you are hunting I'd say you made a commitment to hunt in 2022 rather than booking a hunt per se.

One place to look at Victoria Falls is the "Elephant Camp".

Wow! What a cool place. Incredible option. Maybe a better choice than Cape for last week of May and first week of June. Need to looks at Temps for both Cape and Victoria falls.

My current plan as I dream of Africa, May 2022:
1. Fly to Johannesburg with wife on Delta from Dallas to Atlanta to South Africa, stay overnight at Afton House, eat a big steak, chat with Richard, talk with those headed out on hunts, etc.
2. Drive to Limpopo for 7 Day hunt (9 days in camp), hunt for roan, klipspringer, common duiker, graysbuck, warthog (not seen a good one on previous hunts), blesbuck, baboon, giraffe, black wildebeest, and maybe some night hunting. Bossie is known for great night hunting and tiny ten. Also, has great Kudu hunting which will tempt me if close to 60". I passed on a 59" Kudu on the last day of a 10 day hunt (way over budget when Kudu appeared broadside at 50 yards) and cannot stop thinking about it!
3. Fly back to Johannesburg then to Livingston to see Victoria Falls, stay at the Elephant camp for 3 nights, cruise the river, see the falls, shop (wife), etc.
4. Fly back to Johannesburg and then to the Cape for 3 days, see table mountain, drive the coast, shop (wife), etc.
5. Fly Delta home to Dallas.

Not hunting in Zambia on this trip. I want to go visit with Bossie at Limpopo Big Game Safaris and see his new camp. I will save Zambia for my next hunt for black lechwe, sitatunga, and maybe an elephant and/or crocodile and hippo. This will be an expensive trip so I will have to save for a few years but I will be looking at DSC for information!

I have talked with Bossie a few times and he is on my short list of someone to hunt with in the future.

For what you want to hunt it looks like you have put a list together. Whenever I make suggestions to people that have hunt africa before I ask What have you hunted there before? Do you have a dream animal the just says Africa to you that you have always wanted to hunt? (Mine was buffalo) Do you have specfic must hunts like your 60in Kudu? of are you more interested in the experience and just want to take what Africa provides?

I would suggest that if you haven't done any of the night hunts take the time and experience that. Croc and Hippo are also great hunts. Then comes take what africa provides.

Have a great trip and just enjoy every second.

AZDAD,
Dream Animals Already Harvested: Kudu (1st hunt), Bush Buck (1st hunt), Cape Buffalo (2nd hunt), Eland (2nd hunt), and Sable (2nd hunt).

Animals Still on My List: Warthog (just says Africa to me), Roan

Highest On My List Now But Too Expensive: Bongo, Forrest Buffalo, Lord Derby Eland, Giant Forest Hog, Sitatunga, Black Lechwe, Lesser Kudu, Mountain Nayla, Lion. Anyway to hunt any of these on a budget of $20,000 or less.

Having a hard time finding anything that excites me that I can afford.

Yes, 60" because I really don't need another Kudu unless it is a giant. I know, unrealistic. This is my wife's concession for allowing another Kudu in the house but we may have to shot a small :p 57" Kudu in rut if available.

Okay, I can get excited about a giant Kudu.

Last edited:

I would suggest that if you haven't done any of the night hunts take the time and experience that. ...

Yeah, night elephant hunts are exhilarating.

The wife should love the possibility of Vic falls. Helicopter rides;tigger fishing ; romantic dinner cruises, maybe day trip into Botswana to see chobe river from a boat. Cliff jumping etc etc etc. check out Zambezi lodge—. Very private, right on river and affordable. Have a ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois