Bongo or Lord Derby Eland?

Well if anyone needs we can organize both ! We do the LDE in Cameroon and the Bongo in Congo ! If anyone is interested let us know !

IMHO, the bongo is the most beautiful animal on the planet so it’s not even close - BONGO!
6BEC6D9B-9CEC-473A-907C-FEBA18186D44.jpeg

Either would be a dream hunt for me, that being said as of this minute I would lean towards LDE, the main reason would be the extra game available ( harnessed bushbuck, western roan and a few others ) I do agree the bongo is a gorgeous antelope and would be a great hunt.

LDE just cuz I don't think I'd enjoy a jungle hunt in those conditions.

There is no bad choice here. Bongo is on my list but the 2 Eland hunts I've been on have been the best hunts (hardest, longest, most taxing) of all the hunting I've done.

when you combine the jungle , the pygmies, the the beauty of the animal itself, my choice is bongo.....
Yes and there are other species to add on including another very unique trophy, the yellow-backed duiker. There are also dwarf forest buffalo, bushbuck, bushpigs, giant forest hog and other duikers. Most bongo hunts are done by tracking after overnight rains so I don’t understand why some people think eland tracking is better. Tracking a bongo through the forest is much more challenging. I got mine on the 14th day of a 21 day hunt.

Scott, i forgot about Yellow Back Duiker. A very worth trophy. Once, as I recall, in the Cameroon or C.A.R. I wanted to pass on a Giant Forest Hog because i had killed a couple in past years. My Pygmy’s went crazy because they loved the meat. Fearing a palace revolt, I shot the hog. They partied all night and as i remember, we did not get a lot done the next day.

The idea of stalking/tracking (or crawling at my height) a Bongo in the jungle sounds like a much more unique and epic adventure. I would love to hunt, or a least see, forest elephant and dwarf buffaloes as well.

Don’t get me wrong, LDE is a magnificent trophy and probably equally magnificent experience, but I would much rather go for the world’s best looking antelope.

If and when I win the Lotto, I'd definitely go after Bongo. :)

For those gents who have hunted Bongo, how about posting pictures or maybe do a Bongo hunt report. My apologies to the OP, did not meant to derail the post.

experiencing jungle hunting in Cameroon, Central African Republic and the Congo we realize hunting is a way of life, not a pastime. Some folks are ready to head home after a few days others stick around weeks looking for additional game animals. I have experienced three long hunts apiece in C.A.R and Cameroon and one in the Congo. All great, successful adventures. Both savannah and jungle. besides Bongo and Darby eland, have taken Forest elephant and Forest Buff. One of the most memorable trophies was my forest sitatunga, completing my Sitatunga collection. Jungle hunting, although wearing, is great adventure.
Happy... Yeah... the Forest Sitatunga is magnificent animal. I passed on a small one the first day of 21 day hunt in the Congo and never saw another. Granted this was 91/92 and my buddy and I were the first international hunters in the Congo in 20 years. Since we were the first hunters there in 20 years we saw and did not see a lot of game. Not sure that makes sense. We new the risk of maybe not getting what we were after but were up for the adventure and we wanted to the first hunters in country.

However, the Lord Derby is a very impressive trophy. Much larger than other Eland subspecies. I have taken one of each plus a couple extra.
Happy Myles, please write a book.

Right, that’s why it would be two different hunts, plus to go to ideal areas for each as to trophy quality.

Which first……
First, off I have not hunted LD, so thats why I pick the Bongo. That will be a future hunt after my daughters graduates. I had planned on going several times with Alain Lefol in the 90's but school/life got in the way.
Long winded now....
I have hunted in several jungles (only including "Rain/Tropical Forest") through the years (83-2000) and each one was a little different. For the sake of the argument, I am not including jungles in East Africa, as they don't apply here. I just read a hunting report on AH for Liberia and I can relate to the camp conditions and the hunt. Read it, it’s a good report. Here are some examples of different types of junge hunts that I have experienced in Africa, I won't go into other continents as it does not apply.

Liberia-(short hunt last minute) Very think jungle, walking on people trails and cutting our own path with mungas. This was very loud, we saw signs of duiker nothing larger, only had a quick shot and I missed. There was too much human traffic in the area. It was a good hunt to cut my teeth on. I was in my early teens at the time and my dad figured since I was "seasoned veteran" he would stay in Monrovia while I trekked in the jungle. Long story, I got the better end of deal, as Liberia was a bit crazy in the mid 1980's. Overall, great people, fun hunt, and very appreciative for the experience.

CAR-(88/89) 21 day hunt was for Bongo, pygmy antelope and whatever else we saw. BTW, I normally the one hunting and my dad is the observer. He switched positions after only are second or third safari. My dad figured we would father take pictures, drink beer, watch me hunt and just love being in Africa. Not mention after the elephant charge only his third animal he hunted he figured it was just as much fun enjoying the experience. Which I agree. Back to the hunt.... We hunted with Alain Lefol (a AH sponsor) a top notch operation and one hell of a hunter. By this time, I switched to a pistol which is awesome in the jungle by the way. I as mentioned earlier I got my Bongo the first full day and was the first international hunter to take one with a pistol. We drove and walked a lot and since I shot my Bongo the first day, we kind of switched up the hunt. My dad would take a bongo if say one and we would mainly hunt for duiker with the occasional overnight hunt in a salt pan for bongo and sitatunga. Once in the jungle there was a variety of a trails. Some old logging trails, human trails, animal trails and no trails at all. We no longer took dogs with us as they were not needed. I would say 75% of the trails were fairly open, meaning you could see for about 15-20 yards, maybe more, not crazy under brush, thick canopy, so not a lot of direct sunlight. We would run across the occasional fly bush camp (poachers) that had been not used in some time and set them a blaze. We saw several gorillas and one time a huge silver back. Eric the PH, told us to take a knee, keep our head down and the pygmies would beat their chest to get him to come closer. Hell, when he mocked charged us beating his chest, I nearly shit myself. I unholstered my pistol in case he ripped one my arms I still get a shot off and Eric just looked at me and said don't we are just funny a little fun. I am never been so sacred well I am not sure sacred is the right emotion, nevertheless I can still visually see him right now. In short in CAR, depending on the area, the jungle environment is going to vary you might not be constantly hacking away with a munga and will be able to see further than your hand. This makes the hunt more enjoyable.

Congo (91/92). 21 days- Virgin Area, first hunters in. Most the trails were elephant trails with some bong/animal trails, old logging trails and old human trails. We saw eight poached elephants withing in walking distance of the camp. All had been killed prior to our hunt the carcass were weeks old. We walked by two almost on a daily basis. Saw sitatunga the first day, to small the horns were the saw a monster bushbuk. Never saw another one. Saw several bongo, no permit for them, as I had already shot one, so I did not want to hunt for them. We were there for dwarf forest buffalo (the one in my profile), sitatunga and pygmy antelopes. We rarely had to cut our way through the jungle as the trails were good. Not like a cattle trail on the open range, but wide enough to move silently through the bush calling for duikers and looking for sign. Overall, the hunt was an adventure of lifetime.

Overall, on Jungle Hunts. Several things to point out. Expect the unexpected. We never had bug problems during the day, I wore Deet every day. Had a few run ins with the leaf cutter and giant ants where I had to strip my clothes to get them off me. My dad duct taped his pants a few times to try and keep them out. Check for sand flees at night had one lay eggs under a toe nail. Bring a face net, the gnats and mosquitoes are thick at salt pans and if you build a blind, you will want it. Killed Gabon vipers on every safari, one actually ripped the pant leg on the tracker’s overalls, but it not get his skin. So, keep an eye out for snakes. Bring two pair of good shoes. I read several reports about shoes. I have never hunted in boots, except our first hunt. I picked up a pair of local sneakers in Zimbabwe like my PH was wearing, they were kind of like low top converse all stairs, and wear them for years till I out grew them. The hunted in converse all-stars, that were died green. There were great jungle shoes. Modern technology, got rid of the all-stars. Bring a small pair of binos that gathers good light, no need for 10x. Bring a Tilley hat, neck scarf, small knives, and tweezers. Lastly you will sweat a lot its hot and humid. I grew in South Texas, so I like the heat and humidity and did not think the weather was a problem.

Depending on the location, time and funds, CAR might be your best best for both. Looking at Lefol Safaris game camera pictures you could Bongo and LD on the same trip. Maybe in this area you could also get a few other savanna species as well.​

Bongo, I would be obsessed by it, because it is beautiful and I like it's name. It would be bongo only, no dilution with other species, and if I got it on the first day I would sit and watch birds for the other days, and drink single malts. There would have to be pygmy trackers who know this animal better than their wives, and the wives would need to have those huge wooden discs in their lips and ear lobes. Why? Because.

For those gents who have hunted Bongo, how about posting pictures or maybe do a Bongo hunt report. My apologies to the OP, did not meant to derail the post.
2C9A4E14-7C8D-47B0-B46B-F0612C84DE8E.jpeg
View attachment 476237
BD53FBA6-E3A5-437A-8FB6-BEEBFB8BF7AB.jpeg
1EFDD1DA-D4BC-4A30-B53C-5589752EB267.jpeg
03A89645-E696-42B1-8F6C-85733F212AC3.jpeg
0CB207A1-DD0A-4571-B215-D5B7C610AE63.jpeg
DCC8520C-B28C-4963-950F-F4B77AE5A7DF.jpeg

3F2A8A00-2D78-4AAD-8B79-41F10C6B7E8E.jpeg

Picture #2 - Flying over the forest and Chinko River from Bangui to Rafai in the CAR. Picture #5 - A typical muddy saline where we would look for a big, fresh track to follow after overnight rains. Picture #6 - A typical track “road” through the forest. Very thick!

No worries! Stories and pictures of a Bongo or Lord Derby Eland would be great

Either would be a dream hunt for me, that being said as of this minute I would lean towards LDE, the main reason would be the extra game available ( harnessed bushbuck, western roan and a few others ) I do agree the bongo is a gorgeous antelope and would be a great hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoRieg

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!