Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

Baaahaha ,There is a designated place for the key opposite the nose and you reach under to shift. It's easier after a few pints.
@Tgood1
Ah that's where I was going wrong.
Mate after a few points of my tipple, Bundy Rum the only thing I w ould find is the floor. One pint is more than enough for me and at times far to much.
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
In my rifle I get 2,850 to 2,950 fps with 225 grainers . That's up to 4,300 plus of muzzle energy. Try putting that in your pipe and smoking it.
Bob

Now that’s a whopper of a cartridge!
What pressures are you running, do you know?
Do you have a long throat or shorter throat?
The ol’ .30-06 doesn’t even manage that velocity with 200 gr bullets!

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
I don't know about Steagall but RL26 is far to slow. H4350 is the slowest you can go and that's only with the 310 grain. Varget,RL15 and 4064 class of powder works well but H CFE223 is the best I have found.
Bob

I have on hand 4064, and H4350.
Before the crisis I was going to get a pound of CFE223, but now it’s not to be seen or had for the time being.

Hawk

@Tgood1
I've tried driving pig and deer but had a problem finding where to put the key and I couldn't find the stick shift. The may have been the automatic model..
I've never had a problem with a bolt gun on big mobs especially with an SMLE. With the SMLE I managed to get 14 shots off before the pigs were out of range when I was younger.
Bob.
Bob, with 14 shots there should not have been too many pigs get away if you know where to stick the Bullets.

Now as for having a few pints of Bundy.

They changed up the bottle sizes making em smaller and easier for you to limit yourself. One bottle is more than a pint and enough on a good night. The old 1125ml were nearly 2 pints and enough to turn a good night bad so they capped it at 1 litre . That's 1 bottle per Bob per night.
Now the old half gallon flagons, they are gone cause some have no restraint.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
It's throated to accept a 225 grain accubond with a overall length of 3.4 inches and still have 30 thou to the lands.
Bob

I have on hand 4064, and H4350.
Before the crisis I was going to get a pound of CFE223, but now it’s not to be seen or had for the time being.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
@Shootist43 gets 2,800fps SAFELY with 4064 and the 225 grain Barnes TSX . That should give you enough power and penetration for 99% Of game.
Bob

Bob, with 14 shots there should not have been too many pigs get away if you know where to stick the Bullets.

Now as for having a few pints of Bundy.

They changed up the bottle sizes making em smaller and easier for you to limit yourself. One bottle is more than a pint and enough on a good night. The old 1125ml were nearly 2 pints and enough to turn a good night bad so they capped it at 1 litre . That's 1 bottle per Bob per night.
Now the old half gallon flagons, they are gone cause some have no restraint.
@CBH
Chris there was still a shit load of pigs left. This is back in the late 70s or early 80s. Three of us went out to hells gate with 200 rounds each for a weeks pig shooting. We came home on the 3rd day as we had run out of ammo. Ah the good old days.
A litre bottle of Bundy does me 3 cold nights out bush. Very rare to have a drink at home.
Bob

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I don't know the pressure but load from a disc lists the pressure at under 52,000 cup which is about the same as the 270 and 25 ought six.
Bolt lift is easy, cases fall out and primers are still rounded and CHE is well within parameters.
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
It's throated to accept a 225 grain accubond with a overall length of 3.4 inches and still have 30 thou to the lands.
Bob
Thank you for the info!
I really like the Nosler Accubonds! They certainly are amazing technology for bullets nowadays.
I like Hornady bullets second, then Barnes.
The 225 gr Accubond and the 225 gr TTSX will make short work of anything in North America!

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
I don't know the pressure but load from a disc lists the pressure at under 52,000 cup which is about the same as the 270 and 25 ought six.
Bolt lift is easy, cases fall out and primers are still rounded and CHE is well within parameters.
Bob
52,000 cup aka 65,000 psi will work, most definitely!
How badly does your rifle kick you with those velocities?
I will definitely have to get a synthetic stock for mine, with a very good butt pad, no doubt.

Hawk

I just thought about this, does anyone use 250 gr and heavier bullets?

I was wondering what the middle of the road twist would be for those heavyweights?

I should I just stick to the 225 gr Accubond/TTSX?

Hawk

Hawk
Just a guess but my bet is pushing 60k. With modern steel in a well built bolt action not a problem.

I was wondering what the middle of the road twist would be for those heavyweights?

Hawk
I shoot 250 grain bullets for big boar hogs. Never have recovered one and you can eat right up to the whole. Smashes bones and breaks wills

I will definitely have to get a synthetic stock for mine, with a very good butt pad, no doubt.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hank actually it's about 62,000 psi.
My son is 16, 6 foot and 65 kilos and he handles it no problems.
For me with a stuffed shoulder using a radial port muzzle brake it is about the same as the son's 308 loaded with 130 grainers.
Bob

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
A 1 in 14 twist works
A 1 in 16 is fine up to 250 grains
1 in 12 for any thing
The 225 accubonds worked w all in Namibia so did the 250s I used.
For 200 yards and under the 250grain round nose puts big hurt on game for out to 300 to 35o the accubonds or Woodleigh or TTSX.
Bob

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
20210617_110351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I see the PSI isn’t as high as smaller bores due to being a bigger caliber, and less friction going down the barrel.
Makes sense!
The velocity that the 35 Whelen gets is outstanding!
Looking at the data, the 35 Whelen is a great hunting cartridge, and a no brainer.

Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the PSI isn’t as high as smaller bores due to being a bigger caliber, and less friction going down the barrel.
Makes sense!
The velocity that the 35 Whelen gets is outstanding!
Looking at the data, the 35 Whelen is a great hunting cartridge, and a no brainer.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk
Its a pity more people don't realise that. My philosophy of the Whelen if I do my job is:- put crosshairs on game, pull trigger and go pick up game. Problems solved.
Plus your hat stays on and your fillings are left intact
The standard loads for the Whelen worked well for years, these loads just make a great round better.
Bob
20210605_112013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg