Blazer R8 For Sale

I've read lots of comments on this forum saying they are too complicated. Maybe I'm simple minded, but where is the complexity? It is mechanically simple and it is very easy to use. If you can manage to work a turnbolt rifle, you can manage to work an R8. Bottom line is you open the box, put the barrel in the stock and tighten the Allen screw. And if that is a bother, you can ignore the takedown and changeable barrel features for the rest of your life. There is no trip to the gunsmith the get the barrel bedded before it shoots straight or to get the trigger worked on. It just works right out of the box. At least that is my perspective from actually owning one. Maybe it is different if you only read about them.

And before anyone thinks I don't know anything about the revered Mauser 98 action and the joys of fine wood and blued steel, I do:

IMG_4924.JPG

And no, I did not take the 404 instead of the Blaser because I was afraid to take the Blaser on a dangerous game hunt. I took it because I had it before I had a Blaser. And other than the fact that the trigger jammed after I dragged it through the Caprivi dust low-crawling to get a shot, it worked just fine. I don't hold that against the gun- it could have happened to a Blaser or anything else. But the revered 98 action mythology didn't magically protect it and it won't magically protect any of us if we need to shoot for our lives. The only thing that will do that is to practice until you can't miss and shoot so much that you have 100% confidence in your weapon. And that is exactly what I did with my 404. And if the gods throw a pebble in your trigger group, you take it for what it is and sort it out. Ain't none of us going to live forever anyway and life is too short to shoot a gun you don't enjoy.

I really do not care what rifle people like or choose or whatever. This is a hobby and it is for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you buy a Jaeger, it will most likely need to be opened up to accept the 22mm barrels.
There are several dealers who can channel out the stock to accept the larger barrels.

Only the Kilombero, Selous and Professional Hunter (synthetic) are set up for the safari barrels from the factory.
All three also come with the kickstop option that you would most likely want to add to the Jaeger as well.

I've seen a few Jaeger R8's on Gun International in various calibers, but not in the safari weight.

Another option would be to get the Jaeger with a 375H&H in a 19mm or even the 17mm barrel.
There are a few members here who have a 375 in such a configuration.
Lightweight and easy to carry all day.
For a rifle that is carried a whole lot more than it's shot...it could be a consideration.
Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. I will keep my eye open for a blazer jaeger Rifle. I’m debating between a 375 H&H or larger. I’m planning a leopard and Cape buffalo hunt next year. A 375 is the minimum size caliber and I know it will take down a Cape buffalo I’m worried if I don’t get a perfect kill shot is it gonna be enough power to hurt it.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. I will keep my eye open for a blazer jaeger Rifle. I’m debating between a 375 H&H or larger. I’m planning a leopard and Cape buffalo hunt next year. A 375 is the minimum size caliber and I know it will take down a Cape buffalo I’m worried if I don’t get a perfect kill shot is it gonna be enough power to hurt it.

I used a 404 on mine which isn't that much more powerful and maybe in retrospect something heavier would have dropped them faster. All else being equal, bigger is better. But all else isn't equal. A bigger gun weighs more- will your arms be too tired to shoot it straight at dusk after walking all day. A big gun has more recoil- will you be able to practice a lot with it or will it beat you senseless? Do you have a range at home where you can shoot 5 rounds a day and not worry about the recoil or do you have to go to the range on weekends and try to get in a weeks worth of practice at once? What is your ammo budget (yes, I know in comparison to a buffalo hunt ammo is not expensive, but lots of people just don't put in the range time and if $20/round is going to bother you, choose something else so you can put a lot of good shots downrange). Lots of considerations and you know your situation best.

I will preface my next statement by saying that I am no expert in the matter but I do try to at least put some thought into things. Put all your efforts into practice and hitting the right spot, and don't worry about the gun being big enough to hurt the animal on a poor shot. Yes, I know poor shots happen, but put that thought out of your mind. Picture the perfect shot from every angle every day until you go on your hunt. Practice with your rifle until you can hit that spot every time. If you can get really really good with a 460 G+A, rock on. And if a 375 is as much as you want to carry and shoot the hell out of until your hunt, nobody is going to think less of you. Actually, everyone with any experience will respect you the more for it. I've heard PHs talk well about people who can shoot and ill of people who can't shoot but I've never heard them talk poorly of a person who can shoot well but "with only a mere 375".

You put that bullet in the right spot and all will be well. He might die a little slower with a perfect 375 than a perfect 458 Lott, but he is certainly going to die faster with a 375 HH in the vitals than a 700HH in the guts. And what if you put a 375 in the guts? Shoot him again.

Last edited:
I used a 404 on mine which isn't that much more powerful and maybe in retrospect something heavier would have dropped them faster. All else being equal, bigger is better. But all else isn't equal. A bigger gun weighs more- will your arms be too tired to shoot it straight at dusk after walking all day. A big gun has more recoil- will you be able to practice a lot with it or will it beat you senseless? Do you have a range at home where you can shoot 5 rounds a day and not worry about the recoil or do you have to go to the range on weekends and try to get in a weeks worth of practice at once? What is your ammo budget (yes, I know in comparison to a buffalo hunt ammo is not expensive, but lots of people just don't put in the range time and if $20/round is going to bother you, choose something else so you can put a lot of good shots downrange). Lots of considerations and you know your situation best.

I will preface my next statement by saying that I am no expert in the matter but I do try to at least put some thought into things. Put all your efforts into practice and hitting the right spot, and don't worry about the gun being big enough to hurt the animal on a poor shot. Yes, I know poor shots happen, but put that thought out of your mind. Picture the perfect shot from every angle every day until you go on your hunt. Practice with your rifle until you can hit that spot every time. If you can get really really good with a 460 G+A, rock on. And if a 375 is as much as you want to carry and shoot the hell out of until your hunt, nobody is going to think less of you. Actually, everyone with any experience will respect you the more for it. I've heard PHs talk well about people who can shoot and ill of people who can't shoot but I've never heard them talk poorly of a person who can shoot well but "with only a mere 375".

You put that bullet in the right spot and all will be well. He might die a little slower with a perfect 375 than a perfect 458 Lott, but he is certainly going to die faster with a 375 HH in the vitals than a 700HH in the guts. And what if you put a 375 in the guts? Shoot him again.
You can't get more solid advice than this! Heed what he says and don't get caught up in over analyzing the situation and you will be in good shape. The only thing I might add is shoot him again, and again, and again and again if needed.....and most likely you will regardless of the caliber you choose.

Cheers,

Sam

Thank you guys for the words, it makes total sense to me and I most likely will be going with a 375 H&H. I will be able to put more rounds through it At the range without getting beat up and be more accurate.

Thank you guys for the words, it makes total sense to me and I most likely will be going with a 375 H&H. I will be able to put more rounds through it At the range without getting beat up and be more accurate.
Good advice! I wish I had done this five years ago, I would have a lot more room in my safe! You will not regret your decision to use a Blaser R8, and a fine choice of caliber.

If you reload, I strongly suggest you get yourself a few hundred of the Speer #2900 bullets (200g), a bottle of TrailBoss, and a Lee Collet die. It is like shooting a cap gun and with the Lee die, you don't have to lube the case or anything. Also, full-length sizing a 375HH is going to build up the area in front of the belt and you will only get so many loadings before you can't chamber it (there is a collet die to fix that problem if you want to). With the Lee die, which is dirt cheap, your case is going to last forever shooting those light loads as long as you anneal the case necks. You'll have to practice with the full power stuff also, but you don't really need all that many of those to become proficient. And if your teenage son brings over his buddies and you let them shoot the full power loads and then hand it to the petite girlfriend with the special light loads in it, that is a laugh a minute watching them trying to figure out why she is so much tougher than they are.

And LeGrand is 100% right. Keep shooting until he is down. Then reload and be ready to shoot him some more.

New Blaser R8 for sale. Perfect rifle for any Safari! 300 Win Mag and 375 H & H barrels in the set. Everything is placed perfectly in Pelican case. Blaser scope rings for both barrels are included for free. I’m asking 6000.00 for the setup. View attachment 301802View attachment 301803
Hey bro 8 think your rifle was sold right? Sorry too late to ask!!
Thanks

Hey bro 8 think your rifle was sold right? Sorry too late to ask!!
Thanks
It was sold two years ago. Read to entire post. New guys do this all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg