Blaser rifles

Some other information to consider: Blaser and Mauser are both owned by the same company and quality control, manufacturing quality for off the shelf rifles is some of the best I have seen (not including hand made custom guns). I consider Sauer (again excellent quality) a little out of being a true modular gun as it is a lot slower to change calibre and requires a complete bolt assembly to change calibre groups vs. just bolt head.

To compare a Mauser to Blaser is not really appropriate as they are completely different actions (obvious). However, they do share some common traits. 1st, the method by which the barrel is attached to the stock is almost identical, captive nuts in fore grip of the stock. 2nd, both use proprietary scope mounts, only difference is blaser attach to barrel and Mauser to the action. Both are just as reliable for return to zero.

Have to say that for PH/outfitter to make repeated comments like a Blazer (or in fact any rifle) will misfire seem to me are borne more out of ignorance then any real knowledge.

I made a comment earlier that the Mauser is stronger and safer (terms are muteraly inclusive) this is solely based on the engineering of the two actions and in no way am I suggesting that the Blaser are not safe (world sales alone should be an indication). In fact I have never come across another Mauser MO3 owner, where as I no several hunters who own a Blaser.

In the end I think ones choice comes down to three things: 1. personal preference 2. which fits better 3. availability (almost certain the Blaser is more widely available).

With either choice, you cannot go wrong.

Dinsdale, a good client ( friend) of mine came on Safari with a R93,this was when Blaser was pretty much unknown in SA, I too was waiting for it to fail or blowup, it never did. We have subsequantly hunted together both in SA and Europe, his Blaser never missed a beat or an animal for that matter. I will have to admit that I used it myself twice to take trophy animals (please dont tell him I said that) and it worked and performed very well. Pity about the Outfitter.

Pity about the Outfitter.

No worries here....

I had a good hunt/good time, taking what I was after, other than the gun thing I could recommend the outfitter for an honest good hunt.

He had other clients with Blasers that had issues, I suspect they were not familiar with their Blasers as they should have been, but that's a guess. One thing you must do is firmly close the bolt on a Blaser or a light primer strike will result. This often happens to folks new to Blasers IMO.

This just happened to be the only time anyone questioned a rifle I have brought along on a hunt and that surprised me enough to have that stick with me.

You'll get strong reactions either way to them; frankly the PH/ outfitter I used didn't like them and repeatedly told me it would misfire.

Short stroke a normal bolt action and it will "misfire" too. The R8 definitely takes just a little getting used to, but it is a fine rifle as you state.

I don't own one, but I would! :)

I have some experience with the Lefty R93 both at home and in Africa.

Sold mine about 2 months ago and regretted it for a full 6 days before I got another one!

Have taken everything from Sharps grysbok to Lioness the same safari without a hitch, just changed the barrel and off to the next adventure!

The thing you have to remember with the Blaser is to never be gentle when reloading after a shot, smack that reciever all the way back and slap it forward hard into its place. No need to worry, it can take the beating without a problem!

So far I havent owned a barrel( 22wmr, 2x 308win, 300wm, 375 h&h and .45 blaser) for the R93 that couldnt keep sub 1/2 moa with any factory ammo I fed it with..

Never had a problem with it or with changing scopes without checking zero. Once you have zeroed the scope it stays zeroed no matter how many times you remove it from the barrel. Just make sure you tighten the mount to the barrel the right way the first time you install the scope so its nice and tight and you are ready to go!

Would I recommend a Blaser for general purpose hunting? Without a doubt!
That distinctive sound it makes when reloading gets to be addictive!

Talked myself into getting another barrel now....

One thing you must do is firmly close the bolt on a Blaser or a light primer strike will result. This often happens to folks new to Blasers IMO.

Exactly what I meant by "getting used to." At a training course I went to there were three different guys with brand new R8s. All three of them did this on the first day. Once they realized what they'd done they never did it again. this "misfire" was definitely operator and nor equipment error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.