Blaser R8 In Large Calibers

With the R8’s it’s mostly stock type one prefers, magnum vs non-magnum bolt head though those can be swapped out. You can only get above a 375 H&H with the traditional type stocks, not the thumb hole style. The rifle is designed to be modular but there are some limitations. There are quite a few barrel options available as well.

I have a Professional Success and Ultimate, both of which are thumb hole. You can get a .375 RUM in these, which is a vicious round. My .375 has worked well on a variety of DG with the thumb hole stocks. Unless you're hunting elephant, a .375 in H&H, Ruger, Blaser or RUM is all you need.

You can get a custom barrel in any caliber and other customization imaginable. A 28" barrel, needed for ultra high velocity rounds, works great in these stocks.

For the bigger calibers, .416 and above, you need the traditional safari stock.

The interchangeability, take down, etc are all nice but I haven’t seen mentioned my favorite feature: the action length. Due to the design, it is a few inches shorter than a usual rifle and that not only saves a few inches, it changes the balance. I find my R8 to be the easiest-handling rifle I own. Part is the weight- I have the aluminum receiver, synthetic stock, standard barrel 375 so it’s pretty light for what it is- but it is also how it is distributed.

Question for the couple of guys that have custom 404 Jeffery barrels for their R8. What magazine insert are you using? Also it’s been confirmed in another post that the ultra magnum bolt head definitely works, but heard speculation elsewhere that a normal magnum works fine as well. Anyone know if that is true?

The interchangeability, take down, etc are all nice but I haven’t seen mentioned my favorite feature: the action length. Due to the design, it is a few inches shorter than a usual rifle and that not only saves a few inches, it changes the balance. I find my R8 to be the easiest-handling rifle I own. Part is the weight- I have the aluminum receiver, synthetic stock, standard barrel 375 so it’s pretty light for what it is- but it is also how it is distributed.
You are exactly correct. On of the attributes often touted for single shots like the No 1. I use the exact same set-up as you, and the rifle is perfectly balanced between the hands.

Question for the couple of guys that have custom 404 Jeffery barrels for their R8. What magazine insert are you using? Also it’s been confirmed in another post that the ultra magnum bolt head definitely works, but heard speculation elsewhere that a normal magnum works fine as well. Anyone know if that is true?
You might try this insert:

Blaser 404 insert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting to me this discussion of an ultra mag and mag bolthead being a different thing. See below table from the Blaser website.
Screenshot_20211114-195608-565.png

Just how many bolt heads are there actually? Is there any difference in the Magnum and Ultra Magnum bolt heads?

Are we going to be disappointed if we could take calipers to these different bolt heads and find out they aren't so different after all? Which granted probably won't happen easily since the parts are so expensive and a dealer sure wouldn't want that to get out if there is no difference aside from markings. I have already seen that the Lapua bolt head is just a Jeffrey bolt head struck out and relabeled at least in one instance.
Screenshot_20211114-200446-344.png
Anyone with a Lapua care to comment?

I was actually thinking about this very question the other day of just which bolt head would a .404 user want to use for a Jeffrey build.

I believe @Red Leg mentioned something about this one time before.
For the life of me I can't remember what he said.

For the R8 (in the US) the ATF considers the stock the "gun" portion of the puzzle.
However the barrels also have a serial number.
All of these must be listed on your CBP4457 for re-entry into the US.
Along with the serial numbers of your scopes and binos.
Why in the world would the serial for my binoculars need to be on a 4457?

Why in the world would the serial for my binoculars need to be on a 4457?
It's to prove that you didn't purchase a high priced item out of the country so it's not subject to any import tariff or tax. In truth, the 4457 is only for the US Customs although foreign country officials do look at it. This form is to prove you are only bringing back into the country with what you left with.

Truthfully, I know several people who don't do this and have been to Africa and other places around the world without a problem. However, the trouble of adding on the serial number of my binos and scopes is easier than having to possibly deal with a Customs agent who's had a bad day and feels like busting my chops. Call it a "belt and suspenders" approach. Your choice.

One in 458 Lott and the other in 300wmView attachment 443176
Which stock do you prefer for regular use? And why? I have the ultimate (thumbhole) stock and really like it. I prefer it over my kids’ professional stocks. (Not asking about aesthetics, the wood stock should be named Jealous rather than selous.)

I have Blasers with all 3 Stocks. For DG and BG there is nothing better than a normal Stock (super fast ready to shoot). If u have time and need to get long precise shot i prefer the Ultimate stock.

This is my favourite gun, ultra light shoots 1/4 moa out of the box

IMG20210218125451.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeKirch

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!