Blaser R8 In Large Calibers

No, but that is not a commentary on the system one way or the other. My .375 barrel sports a Leica Magnus 1.5x10x42 while the .300 and 6.5 mount Leica Eri's.

I'm not familiar with Blaser at all except what I've read. One guy in one of my FTW courses had one and he seemed to be having problems. He said it was a new gun and he wasn't all that used to it. It seemed to shoot well when he could figure out how to run it.

Has anyone had or heard of the bolt coming back on a shooter? I remember reading somewhere that it has happened and really injured the guy. That kind of freaked me and killed my interest in Blaser. No pun intended. This was years ago so maybe that incident was isolated to a faulty part or a double charged round in an old model.

From reading posts here, the R8 corrected any potential issues of the bolt injuring the shooter. It mechanically cannot happen like was possible on the R93. Though that thought still runs thru my head at times.

Interesting on what you witnessed at your course. I extended a question to my PH on his thoughts on these rifles. While he enjoys them, he said something to me that resonates. He stated that if you're used to traditional bolt throw, and have done so your whole life, going to this system without ample practice time could cause an issue in your muscle memory, of course at the opportune moment. Enough practice will remedy this, but that thought did stay with me. However, if your main rifle will be an R8 going forward and you plan to use it exclusively, its just a matter of practice.

Just bought this Blaser R8 Pro Hunter in an 416 rem mag and an 458 lott barrel this week, hoping to add an 300wm safari barrel too in the near future. Can anyone recommend a red dot sight for the 458lott besides an Aimpoint H1 or H2. Thanks. (y)

Blaser R8 458lott 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought this Blaser R8 Pro Hunter in an 416 rem mag and an 458 lott barrel this week, hoping to add an 300wm safari barrel too in the near future. Can anyone recommend a red dot sight for the 458lott besides an Aimpoint H1 or H2. Thanks. (y)

View attachment 298857
I have an QD mount Aimpoint T1 on a Sig 516 which is fabulous and have considered getting one for my R8 .375 H&H. What's the issue with the Aimpoint brand? Just wondering...

From reading posts here, the R8 corrected any potential issues of the bolt injuring the shooter. It mechanically cannot happen like was possible on the R93. Though that thought still runs thru my head at times.

Interesting on what you witnessed at your course. I extended a question to my PH on his thoughts on these rifles. While he enjoys them, he said something to me that resonates. He stated that if you're used to traditional bolt throw, and have done so your whole life, going to this system without ample practice time could cause an issue in your muscle memory, of course at the opportune moment. Enough practice will remedy this, but that thought did stay with me. However, if your main rifle will be an R8 going forward and you plan to use it exclusively, its just a matter of practice.
For me at least, it is absolutely not an issue in the slightest.

I have an QD mount Aimpoint T1 on a Sig 516 which is fabulous and have considered getting one for my R8 .375 H&H. What's the issue with the Aimpoint brand? Just wondering...

G'day Steve, I've had two H1's fail on me so I'm not very confident with them on a heavy hitter. I like the new Leica tempus ASPH red dot but I can't seem to find a Blaser base for them at the moment. (y)

G'day Steve, I've had two H1's fail on me so I'm not very confident with them on a heavy hitter. I like the new Leica tempus ASPH red dot but I can't seem to find a Blaser base for them at the moment. (y)

Hi TheoR8, Does the Leica have the ability to attach to a Picatinny? If so Innomount makes a mount for the R8 in Picatinny. I bet Pigeon at Titanium or Brumar could fix you up. Also I wonder if the Docter mount from Innomount would work.

Hi TheoR8, Does the Leica have the ability to attach to a Picatinny? If so Innomount makes a mount for the R8 in Picatinny. I bet Pigeon at Titanium or Brumar could fix you up. Also I wonder if the Docter mount from Innomount would work.

Hi Dan, Not sure as I'm still trying to find one to have a look at. I really like the set-up in the YouTube vid and trying to find out which base it is. Worst case scenario I'll get onto Klaus. (y)

Wow. I don't know what to say about that. Your experience is certainly cause for concern. I have a T1 on my Sig 516 that I have moved it around among other rifles with a Picatinny rail. I also have a CompM4 on a 12 Ga Browning Bolt Action Slug gun and it loves the most blistering recoil ever. Aimpoint has been a solid performer for me but we all have different experiences. Thanks for the input.

Here's the Aimpoint mount which I have considered getting for my R8 .375 H&H:

http://blaserpro.com/topic/new-aimpoint-mount/

Hi Dan, Not sure as I'm still trying to find one to have a look at. I really like the set-up in the YouTube vid and trying to find out which base it is. Worst case scenario I'll get onto Klaus. (y)

This seems to be a Blaser mount for Docter sight. Leica Tempus has the same mount options as the Docter/Noblex.

https://www.jagdundfreizeit.de/ZF-M...ttelmontage-Zeiss-Innenschiene-2344-2345.html

And similar from Innomount

https://www.pfitzmaier-jagd.de/Waff...age-fuer-Blaser-R8-R93-S2-D99-BBF95::301.html

And a more compact one from EAW

https://www.landro.no/eaw/102868/eaw-adapter-for-leica-tempus-docter-for-blaser-r8

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    387.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    315.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    272.6 KB · Views: 204
Yeah thanks Steve, those aimpoint mounts are great, I have four of them lol. (y)
I think that an Aimpoint would be a good choice for large or dangerous game but not if they are going to fail.

I first became aware of the Blaser-Aimpoint combo when I stumbled across this video while searching for feral hog hunts. I REALLY want to do this:

We are booked for a feral hog hunt in Georgia this fall but that will be a night vision hunt. Our first ever.

Theo that is very unusual. I have a 9000L on the 416 and not a problem (2 rings to hold it) a Comp CL (1 ring to hold it) on the Whelen and have seen one on some massive calibre that leaves the 458 Lott in the shade (forget what) but on each firing it broke the mount and the Aimpoint hit the cement of the range firing line. Owner did this 3 times trying different mounts and the thing still worked no lose zero. Still hit the same place each time.

Send them back to Aimpoint, they are fairly good at looking after customers.

I think that an Aimpoint would be a good choice for large or dangerous game but not if they are going to fail.

I first became aware of the Blaser-Aimpoint combo when I stumbled across this video while searching for feral hog hunts. I REALLY want to do this:

We are booked for a feral hog hunt in Georgia this fall but that will be a night vision hunt. Our first ever.

A little off topic, but the entire Wild Boar Fever series is available on demand if you subscribe to My Outdoor TV.

Http://www.motv.com

A little off topic, but the entire Wild Boar Fever series is available on demand if you subscribe to My Outdoor TV.

Http://www.motv.com
Thanks for the tip. In case there's interest this is where we are going this fall:
https://hogswat.com/

We chose it because it was drive-able from Maryland and the guys seemed really nice when I met them at the Harrisburg PA show this past February. I had a lengthy chat with one of the owners. I think we'll get along great.

This will be a totally new one for us: night plus fast moving targets. We participated in a moving target match at our local gun range and did OK. Beyond that we're not sure how to prepare.

We are both a little anxious as we will be using their rifles and their optics.

Hopefully we will come back with 2 120 qt coolers full of hog meat.

Theo that is very unusual. I have a 9000L on the 416 and not a problem (2 rings to hold it) a Comp CL (1 ring to hold it) on the Whelen and have seen one on some massive calibre that leaves the 458 Lott in the shade (forget what) but on each firing it broke the mount and the Aimpoint hit the cement of the range firing line. Owner did this 3 times trying different mounts and the thing still worked no lose zero. Still hit the same place each time.

Send them back to Aimpoint, they are fairly good at looking after customers.

G'day Greg, Aimpoint replaced the first one and are accessing the second one as we speak. I will continue to use them as I have 4 on them on various barrels, but I will probably go a another way on my 458lott for something different. All my H1/H2's are 2moa but speaking with a fellow Blaser big bore owner last night he recommended I go 4moa for big stuff, it kinda makes sense.

Both Beretta Australia and Aimpoint have been very helpful. (y)

G'day Greg, Aimpoint replaced the first one and are accessing the second one as we speak. I will continue to use them as I have 4 on them on various barrels, but I will probably go a another way on my 458lott for something different. All my H1/H2's are 2moa but speaking with a fellow Blaser big bore owner last night he recommended I go 4moa for big stuff, it kinda makes sense.

Both Beretta Australia and Aimpoint have been very helpful. (y)
Mate I wouldn't go the 4MOA. If your shot is not up close and personal then 4MOA is way to big. The 2MOA you can use out to what ever distance you will be shooting at. The 4 MOA at 100mts covers alot of an animal vital zones more so if it is plains game you have a chance at. The 4 MOA would most likely made my 150mt shot at the Wildeerbest a no shoot as it was just off a straight front on shot.

Mate I wouldn't go the 4MOA. If your shot is not up close and personal then 4MOA is way to big. The 2MOA you can use out to what ever distance you will be shooting at. The 4 MOA at 100mts covers alot of an animal vital zones more so if it is plains game you have a chance at. The 4 MOA would most likely made my 150mt shot at the Wildeerbest a no shoot as it was just off a straight front on shot.

Thinking 4moa for Buff only mate, say out to 50 metres max. (y)

Not that I could ever afford to buy a Blaser rifle, but reading here on AH, I see many different models of the Blaser mentioned. Could/would someone explain the differences between models? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg