Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

:LOL:
You have Blaser so use the same justification.
TWO Blasers - and worried about justifying a belt ....... :E Lol:
LMAO, both of you.
I have to say, I do like the fact that the loops are already installed on the Murray belt.
And if I did go that route, I could lose this rock in my shoe over a buttstock shell holder. :D
I could still convert it to a belt slide shell holder for Mrs BeeMaa if she wanted.

A question for those who use a separate belt for their stuff :- What happens when you try to pull cartridges out of loops ? I have always been concerned that the belt would simply ride up, and make cartridge removal less than tidy. For this reason I have always threaded the bits on my trouser/shorts belt (which is a pain) or used a separate small pack, with the attendant disadvantages of either method.

Never an issue with the separate belt and removal of ammo from cartridge holder. Now, if the cartridge holder is real tight then you will have an issue getting the cartridge out regardless of the carry method. I make sure that the cartridges are clean and easy to get out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.14.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.14.57 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.14.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.14.59 AM.png
    862.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.15.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.15.01 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 83
ELS also has a culling belt with loops already installed. I use more than one caliber so I like the flexibility of changing out the cartridge holders. Not to mention also giving me a bit more real estate.

https://www.africansportingcreations.com/cradock-culling-belt.html
Maybe if I was a PH or Game Manager for a living...
Otherwise, I think the options that you and @Red Leg are using are very good.
You guys have both used them and I trust your opinions.
One may soon grace my Africa kit.

The calibers I use are 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM...all based on the same cartridge.
Therefore leather belt loops will work well for me.
I do really like the traditional look of the leather loops on the Murray as well.
Plus I can always add another ammo carrier to the Murray belt if needed.
For just such an occasion that Mrs BeeMaa would want me to carry her ammo...go figure.

I had a custom 3” belt made with leather loops for 470 NE cartridge and found that the leather after awhile grabbed the shell so firmly that it was nearly impossible to get shell out quickly. I had it changed over to synthetic loops now no problems plus no stretching of loops as a bonus.
It’s set up so that I can pull two out for reload at a time quickly if needed.

A question for the well initiated R8 user. What is the advantage of the Jaeger/Luxus style receiver on these rifles? It seems to me that this configuration would allow different barrel contours with a simple change in forends. I am really liking the looks of the Luxus BTW.

A question for the well initiated R8 user. What is the advantage of the Jaeger/Luxus style receiver on these rifles? It seems to me that this configuration would allow different barrel contours with a simple change in forends. I am really liking the looks of the Luxus BTW.

If you want the synthetic stock, don't worry too much about the gap. The stocks are very dark and the barrels are black. You won't notice the difference between a standard 17mm and a semi weight 19mm.

The gap will be bigger with the 22mm safari or match barrels, but to put it in perspective, that is still a total increase of only .1" either side over standard, and that closes up going back toward the receiver.

Not worth faffing around with different forends etc.

Knowing that you have much experience with large calibers...
I would recommend the 375H&H barrel in the standard (17mm) or semi-weight (19mm) barrel.
@Red Leg has such a rifle in a timber stock and says it carries very nicely.

The Jaeger and Luxus come from the factory channeled out for the 17mm barrels.
There are several US dealers who can open the channel up to accept up to the safari (22mm) barrels.
My wife has the Intuition timber stock channeled to accept the 22mm and it looks great.
The downside...there is in fact a minor gap when I put the 17mm 22lr barrel on it.
Personally, I don't think it's a big deal...but everyone has their own opinion.

I recommend you go to a dealer that has a Kilombero or Selous that are channeled for the 22mm barrels.
Ask them to install a 17mm or 19mm barrel so you can see what the gap really looks like.
You aren't gonna know until you see it for yourself.
Or you can wait for DSC next year, Blaser should be there to help you out.

Caution - this could take you on a rollercoaster like the Heym 404J did.
Make sure you get a pretty one so I can at least drool over it when you want to sell it.

Knowing that you have much experience with large calibers...
I would recommend the 375H&H barrel in the standard (17mm) or semi-weight (19mm) barrel.
@Red Leg has such a rifle in a timber stock and says it carries very nicely.

The Jaeger and Luxus come from the factory channeled out for the 17mm barrels.
There are several US dealers who can open the channel up to accept up to the safari (22mm) barrels.
My wife has the Intuition timber stock channeled to accept the 22mm and it looks great.
The downside...there is in fact a minor gap when I put the 17mm 22lr barrel on it.
Personally, I don't think it's a big deal...but everyone has their own opinion.

I recommend you go to a dealer that has a Kilombero or Selous that are channeled for the 22mm barrels.
Ask them to install a 17mm or 19mm barrel so you can see what the gap really looks like.
You aren't gonna know until you see it for yourself.
Or you can wait for DSC next year, Blaser should be there to help you out.

Caution - this could take you on a rollercoaster like the Heym 404J did.
Make sure you get a pretty one so I can at least drool over it when you want to sell it.
As you may already know, I'm definitely in favor of lightweight rifles. The main reason I parted with the Heym was the realization of how much it was going to weigh with a scope and rings in place. It feels great with no scope, but will tip the scales around 11lbs or more with optics. I personally prefer a 375 rifle that weighs around 8-9 lbs loaded with a scope in place. For a 404 or 416, 9-10lbs loaded with a scope on board would be my ideal weight. I feel like the 17mm barrel would be right for a 375, and a 19mm barrel would be best for 416 Rem. I'd love to have a look at all different varieties and make my own decisions on what feels right.

Do any of you happen to have a 17mm barrel mounted in a 22mm stock that I could see a picture of?
If you go with a 19mm channel, it would probably be best.
Having a 1mm gap on each side would hardly be noticeable.
FYI - Blaser doesn't make the 416RM in a 19mm, but J Sip & Sons does.
It's a bit cheaper as well and you can customize twist rate and barrel length...etc.

If you go with a 19mm channel, it would probably be best.
Having a 1mm gap on each side would hardly be noticeable.
FYI - Blaser doesn't make the 416RM in a 19mm, but J Sip & Sons does.
It's a bit cheaper as well and you can customize twist rate and barrel length...etc.
Thanks so much for the pictures! Like you said, if you had a 19mm forend, you'd be set for most anything except something like a 458 Lott or 500 Jeffery. In that case you'd want a steel receiver anyway, I would think. So an alloy receiver with 19mm barrel channel would cover everything up to 416 if JS and Sons does the 416 in that weight. Good info!

@BeeMaa are you shooting the .22 LR barrel yet?
Sure am and the squirrels are not happy about it.
Picked it up from Top Dog Guns Global and it was already threaded 1/2-28 for a suppressor.
The bolt throw is a shorter, but other than that it's the same.
Feels good to have a full sized 22lr that is identical to the rifles we will hunt with.

Sure am and the squirrels are not happy about it.
Picked it up from Top Dog Guns Global and it was already threaded 1/2-28 for a suppressor.
The bolt throw is a shorter, but other than that it's the same.
Feels good to have a full sized 22lr that is identical to the rifles we will hunt with.

Still prefer a 416 for squirrels ;)

This morning Mrs BeeMaa has thrown a wrench in the works...kinda.

She is suggesting that IF our 2022 Africa safari is put on hold, that we take a trip to AK.
Her mind is pretty well made up on hunting Kodiak or Costal Brown Bear.

As a result, I will be taking a look at a lightweight 375H&H for the R8.
So a synthetic stock, 17mm barrel and aluminum receiver for easy of carry.
Thing is, I'm not a big guy and having a 375 that is under 8.5# could be a bit much.

Figured Brown Bear to be considered North America DG, so I put it here.
Any advice and experience would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg