Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Canada,
I have a Blaser R8 Classic Sporter Stock that has several cracks that run all the way through the wood. You cannot see it in a picture but one is the ebony end cap, one in the forearm. I don't want to sell it because it was damaged. It was damaged by UPS and they never paid for the damage. I thought a stock builder could fix but I am not happy with just fixing it.

So, what should I do with the rifle. Shoot it, change to a GRS laminated stock, have a custom stock built. Not sure if it will fit in a GHS stock, how are the Blaser R8 Classic Sporters different?

1715183275428.png

I have posted this rifle before but now I have the report from a stock repair person that there are several cracks in the stock. He is asking me what I want to do with the rifle.

I would contact Blaser in San Antonio and see if they will do anything for you.

Classic Sporter is a 2 piece stock isn’t it? If so you’re very limited as the pro and pro success won’t fit.
will try looking for a former link of a colleague he might help..

It was a very pretty but absolute shit design.

I had one, broke through the wrist as well. Fixed it broke again.

Mine lived in a GRS Berserk stock until I sold it. I wouldn't use a GRS wood stock, they also have been known to break.

The GRS sythetic stocks for Blaser are freaking awesome.

I am waiting on one to come in for my Sauer STR 200. So I have quite a lot of faith in them.

Mine has been used pretty extensively with a .375 barrel for the better part of ten years with no issues.

@Justbryan are the cracks cross grain or with the grain? If the latter, that is a pretty easy repair by a competent stock maker. If done by a good one, the repair(s) will be invisible and the stock stronger than before. If cross grain, then that is a more complicated repair with a less certain outcome.

Blaser R8 .375 Rifle

Mine has been used pretty extensively with a .375 barrel for the better part of ten years with no issues.

@Justbryan are the cracks cross grain or with the grain? If the latter, that is a pretty easy repair by a competent stock maker. If done by a good one, the repair(s) will be invisible and the stock stronger than before. If cross grain, then that is a more complicated repair with a less certain outcome.

with the grain

I think I will just post for sale as-is in the classifieds section. I don't want to mess with it anymore.

Blaser R8 .375 Rifle

Why did they discontinue this design? Personally I think it is the most attractive of all the Blaser R8’s I have seen.

Dry climate, same problem I have with everything else made of wood. 14% humidity. Then we moved to Germany and it's 60% humidity everyday.

I have a couple of wood stocked guns here, I am concerned for their trip to New Mexico.

KKC laminate is a good wood stock . I had one for my r93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?