Blaser R8 barrel longevity...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone have any data on Blaser barrel longevity? I am specifically interested in 6XC barrel.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about its longevity but I've shot several hundred through my R8. I shoot 105gr bullets haven't bothered with others as it it shoots the 105's really well. Any of the 4350 type powder works well with this weight. I mostly use RL16 or VVN550. It's a very fun and accurate caliber. I think the twist rate in the Blaser is 1:8.

Caliber and throat erosion have a lot to do with barrel longevity. it varies.

I know that on some of the Weatherby and Nosler rounds, they will go at least 900-1200 rds before the barrels are toast. While I don't own a Blaser, i would think you would have al least that much.

Lets face it, the average rifle owner will never shoot that many rounds thru his big game rifle in a lifetime.

Last edited:

Lets face it, the average rifle owner will never shoot that many rounds thru his big game rifle in a lifetime.
6XC is not a big game round. I was looking at the barrel life calculators at 39.5 grains of H4350 at 55k PSI and it gave me 2,189 rounds before accuracy dropped off. So, good for about a year and a half of shooting including a trip for prairie dogs.

Alternative is to have a dedicated rifle built as barrel replacement is not as expensive as Blasers.

Last edited:
39.5gr's is my load for the 105gr bullets. Haven't shot 2000 rounds so can't say. 6mm with 105gr bullets is great for deer and Pronghorn and other small antelope.

Is there some reason why Blaser barrels would have different longevity, then the barrels from other brands in same caliber?

Yep a few days on a big PD town and you could be done. I always take 2-3 rifles and rotate them every few shots. Keeping the barrel cool will help a lot. JMO&E

I’m curious to hear what others say about this.

@Tanks what do you figure the cost difference? A new (different) dedicated rifle might be $1500-$2000, with each barrel change being $500? Whereas each R8 barrel would be about $1100?

I am partial to staying with the same rifle platform for familiarity.

@Tanks what do you figure the cost difference? A new (different) dedicated rifle might be $1500-$2000, with each barrel change being $500? Whereas each R8 barrel would be about $1100?

I am partial to staying with the same rifle platform for familiarity.

Well, I think the break even point is three barrels, more or less, I think. Rifle platform is not going to be an issue as one is basically shooting from a bench a bolt action rifle.

Is there some reason why Blaser barrels would have different longevity, then the barrels from other brands in same caliber?
Blaser barrels are harder than most competing barrels on the market. I believe that makes them more durable. Recently I contacted Magnaport about threading an R8 barrel for suppressor use. They charge an additional fee for Blaser barrels as the steel is so hard it wears out their tooling faster.

There are several known advantages with hammer forged barrels when compared to cut, button or broach rifling. Durability is one of those advantages. I do not mean to start an argument about which is better, because they all have advantages, but I can't imagine wearing out a Blaser barrel.

Interesting. Thanks!

Reactions: RTG
I have two 6XC barrels for my R8, only use them for competition shooting. The original Blaser barrel has a 1:8 twist, likes the Sierra TMK 95gr and with 845 shots done the grouping is still 4mm or less with 5 shots at 100 meter.
The Berger 105 Hybrid does 6mm groups from that barrel, so I prefer to shoot those from my BixnAndy barrel that is 1:7, from that barrel I can get these 105's to 1.000 meter/sec. with also 4mm groups.

I do know of one Blaser R8 in .416 Remington Magnum, which had the rifling badly worn through. The owner was exclusively using Remington brand factory ammunition ( long out of production ), which was loaded with Barnes Super Solids ( which were the unbanded predecessor to the modern Barnes Banded Solid ). But I attribute this damage to the style of ammunition used, rather than the quality of the Blaser R8’s barrel metallurgy.

@Tanks what did you end up doing for the small caliber rifle?
I went the custom route for 6mm Dasher.

-- BAT machine LH action to accommodate 6mm dasher. https://www.batmachine.com/ )
-- MasterPiece Arms Chassis, LH Marine Red (
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-matrix-chassis/ )
-- TriggerTech trigger 2 stage trigger. ( https://triggertech.com/collections/bolt-action/products/rem-700-two-stage )
-- Bartlein cut barrel 6mm from Altus Shooting Solutions ( https://www.altusshooting.com/products/bartlein-cut-rifled-barrels-6mm )

Unfortunately the owner of the BAT machine was fighting stage 4 cancer and it delayed my order. Arrived, just before I left for London. Since then, I had hernia repair surgery and been recovering. I will head to Zim in 5 weeks.

So, I have yet to take all the parts to my gunsmith to put it together. Takes him 3 hours while I watch. Will happen once I get back.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.37 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.37 AM Large.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.46 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.46 AM Large.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.55 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.45.55 AM Large.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.46.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.46.03 AM Large.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 29
I went the custom route for 6mm Dasher.

-- BAT machine LH action to accommodate 6mm dasher. https://www.batmachine.com/ )
-- MasterPiece Arms Chassis, LH Marine Red (
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-matrix-chassis/ )
-- TriggerTech trigger 2 stage trigger. ( https://triggertech.com/collections/bolt-action/products/rem-700-two-stage )
-- Bartlein cut barrel 6mm from Altus Shooting Solutions ( https://www.altusshooting.com/products/bartlein-cut-rifled-barrels-6mm )

Unfortunately the owner of the BAT machine was fighting stage 4 cancer and it delayed my order. Arrived, just before I left for London. Since then, I had hernia repair surgery and been recovering. I will head to Zim in 5 weeks.

So, I have yet to take all the parts to my gunsmith to put it together. Takes him 3 hours while I watch. Will happen once I get back.
That will be a nice setup. You will have to report back about barrel life. I’m curious the round count before accuracy degrades.

I have a fair amount of rounds through my R8 barrels with no issues, so I’m hoping for a round count in the multiple thousands. Since none are dedicated prairie dog town barrels, I shouldn’t shoot them out for years.

Oh, forgot almost the most important component, the scope.
Nightforce NX8 4-32X50MM F1 Scope with Mil-XT reticle.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.44 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.44 AM Large.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.47 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.47 AM Large.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.49 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.47.49 AM Large.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 25
Anxiously waiting to read how it shoots!
Have a grand trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marketeventsgmbh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg