Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
As my wife and I slowly fall down the Blaser worm hole toward finacial ruin, it has come to my attention that Blaser makes optics.
Blaser optics, of course...why not get Blaser Optics on my wife's R8?
I started looking into the optics and they do look good.
However finding serious reviews out there comparing them to the likes of Swaro, S&B, Zeiss and Kahles don't exist.
Thank you to member @wesheltonj for informing me that S&B set up Blaser with equipment for production.

So I ask the collective...
How do the Blaser optics compare to other high end scope manufactures?
Price, performance, durability, reticle options...etc
Are they worth it?

Go with tried and tested. Don't fall into the trap of buying a product just because it has the same name as your rifle upon it.
Blaser optics may be excellent quality and value but those reviews are lacking so how will you know?
Sure it might look pretty but so will a Zeiss or Swarovski, Trijicon or Leupold.
Also consider aftermarket service. Are Blaser scopes likely to be easy to repair or service?

Just be happy with Leupold and go over to hunt more!
I get where you are coming from and I have a Leupold on my CZ and a few more as well.
Just wondering how really good the Blaser stuff is.

Best price I have seen for that 2.8x20 is $3895 + tax. I can't see that investment when I can have a "real" S&B for about a third less - half if I don't need the high end power - which I don't. And a first focal plane scope simply will not sell in this country.

I just wonder if, from your opening post you mention that S&B set Blaser up, if you would be buying an S&B scope but priced up because of the Blaser name.
Here's a review from the UK shooting press....

https://www.sporting-rifle.com/reviews/chris-parkin-reviews-blaser-optics/
That article brings up a few really good points.
First is the first focal plane use by Blaser, while most hunting optics are second focal plane...which is what I prefer as well.
Second is the swapping of the parallax and windage turrets to opposite sides.
I didn't realize this until reading the article...interesting, but I don't understand why exactly they did it.

I'm not hung up on the Blaser name.
Matter of fact, the wife has a Trijicon scope that would grace her R8.
Just want to know how they compare, explore all options and see if they are worth it in your opinion.

Last edited:
That article brings up a few really good points.
First is the first focal plane use by Blaser, while most hunting optics are second focal plane...which is what I prefer as well.
Second is the swapping of the parallax and windage turrets to opposite sides.
I didn't realize this until reading the article...interesting, but I don't understand why exactly they did it.

I'm not hung up on the Blaser name.
Matter of fact, the wife has a Trijicon scope that would grace her R8.
Just want to know how they compare, explore all options and see if they are worth it in your opinion.
I understand and have the same questions. I like the mount - simplicity itself. And the auto turn on for the reticle is pretty clever. One would assume the actual optics are world class.

I'm a "There are no bad gadgets, just better gadgets" kind of guy.
However, I read the Blaser optics article and I must say I am a bit puzzled by the first focal plane feature. I thought first focal plane is only really helpful when you have mil-dot reticles, bullet drop reticles or any reticle where you do not want the subtensions of the landmarks on the reticle to change with power. So what's the benefit here? I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't get it.

The lighted reticle coupling was available for me with my rifle and the Zeiss scopes but I passed it up as being "just one more thing to break" plus I want the lighted reticle on all the time. I love lighted reticles. I have quite a few lighted red dots, reflex sights and hunting scopes and I just throw in a new battery before hunting. But knowing Blaser they probably made it bullet-proof, so to speak.

As for parallax adjustments: I have several scopes with parallax adjustment and I prefer parallax adjustments to be on the objective lens. From what I understand the parallax adjustments can be made more precisely and the scope can be made sturdier and more economically with that implementation. But I can see a plus to having on a side turret too and that is visibility. The only scope where I have the parallax adjustment implemented on the objective lens is on an older Leupold 6.5-20x scope.

I understand and have the same questions. I like the mount - simplicity itself. And the auto turn on for the reticle is pretty clever. One would assume the actual optics are world class.
Another thing they have on the 1-7x28 iC iteration is what they call Intellegent Variable Dot.
Below 4x magnification the dot is larger for fast moving targets and intuitive shooting.
No doubt catering to their well established followers of driven hunts for boar and deer.
I question how this will translate to Cape Buffalo and Elephant, but you never know.
Not sure I'm sold on this, unless there is a way to turn it off.

The Illumination Control they offer is also available with Zeiss as @BigSteve57 has mentioned.
This turns the illuminated retricle on when the striker is cocked, off when decocked.
Nice gadget but I have to agree with @BigSteve57 on this...just seems like one more thing to go wrong and do I REALLY need that?

I can't say much about the Blaser scope other than I handled one at the SCI conference when they first came out. I thought it was a nice scope but did not think the quality was any better than the S&B's, Swarovski's or Zeiss' and at the time I did not think they were worth the extra money.

One thing I do like on the Blaser's are the rail mounted scopes. Besides the clean look there is no scope leveling needed. I love mine.

IMG_9992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say much about the Blaser scope other than I handled one at the SCI conference when they first came out. I thought it was a nice scope but did not think the quality was any better than the S&B's, Swarovski's or Zeiss' and at the time I did not think they were worth the extra money.

One thing I do like on the Blaser's are the rail mounted scopes. Besides the clean look there is no scope leveling needed. I love mine.
Looks like you are a fan of Swaro.

I was advied by Euro Optic not to get a rail mount in the event of wanting to put the scope on a different rifle or sell it.
Personally I think the eye relief adjustment would be worth it.

I see you have a Z8i 1-8x24, may I ask what caliber and diameter barrel you have this set up for?

Does anyone know if Rigby branded scope is internally the same as Blaser one?

As for the auto reticle illumination with the cocking device. My rifle is equipped with that system and I have a Zeiss scope that works with it (you can activate the reticle without the rifle too). The system works well, should it be a deciding factor on your scope purchase? In my opinion it should not, turning illumination on when going out hunting is not a big deal and should you forget to switch it off the batteries last a long time and most scopes today have auto deactivation function on them anyway. The Blaser system is activated by a magnet like the Viridian handgun laser/light devices that deactivate when you holster the gun, it’s fairly simple and heavy duty so I wouldn’t worry about it malfunctioning.

As my wife and I slowly fall down the Blaser worm hole toward finacial ruin, it has come to my attention that Blaser makes optics.
Blaser optics, of course...why not get Blaser Optics on my wife's R8?
I started looking into the optics and they do look good.
However finding serious reviews out there comparing them to the likes of Swaro, S&B, Zeiss and Kahles don't exist.
Thank you to member @wesheltonj for informing me that S&B set up Blaser with equipment for production.

So I ask the collective...
How do the Blaser optics compare to other high end scope manufactures?
Price, performance, durability, reticle options...etc
Are they worth it?
I looked at them quite a bit before settling on the Z8’s. They are good and have the illumination feature that it only turns on when gun is on fire. They look neat that’s for sure. They are not a Z8 however.
Philip

I get where you are coming from and I have a Leupold on my CZ and a few more as well.
Just wondering how really good the Blaser stuff is.
@BeeMaa
Keep wonderful mate save the money, be happy with what you have and take Mrs BeeMaa out for a nice romantic dinner and plan your next trip. Perhaps a buff or to in northern territory Australia.
Bob

Looks like you are a fan of Swaro.

I was advied by Euro Optic not to get a rail mount in the event of wanting to put the scope on a different rifle or sell it.
Personally I think the eye relief adjustment would be worth it.

I see you have a Z8i 1-8x24, may I ask what caliber and diameter barrel you have this set up for?
Sorry for the long delay, but I only just now noticed your question. I use the Z8i 1-8x24 on a Standard weight barrel (17mm) in 9.3x62. I have also used it on the .416 Rem & .458 Lott Selous barrels (22mm) for load development.

Sorry for the long delay, but I only just now noticed your question. I use the Z8i 1-8x24 on a Standard weight barrel (17mm) in 9.3x62. I have also used it on the .416 Rem & .458 Lott Selous barrels (22mm) for load development.
We decided to go with Swarovski scopes.
All in Contessa QR mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross