Black or Blue Wildebeest

Let Africa chose for you, I had no intention on shooting a wildebeest on my trip but that all changed quick when a big blue got in front of me. One well placed arrow with a DRT head dropped the wildebeest in sight. I have no regrets on shooting one, simply a beautiful animal. On a side note, they are bigger than they appear, I helped load it into the truck and man it was a job and a half.
 
I 2nd taking what presents itself. I spent 8 days in a blind and never had a mature blue wildebeest bull come within shooting range despite the fact that most of the other hunters in camp saw them daily.
 
save some more money and get both!!!!!
You never know if chances in the future will be right, so get both as soon as you can!!!
 
I would go with the Black Willie...
 
First trip I thought I wanted a Blue. After I watched a few, I decided I didn't. Second trip, the same. Third trip I got a shot at an exceptional Black.

Now, with 7 African heads on the wall (soon to be 10) the Black will be going over the fireplace in the place of honor.

Irrational, I know, but I greatly prefer the Blacks.

To each his own, and best of luck in whatever you choose.
 
I have a Black wildebeest rug (head-on) that is impressive. Take the black if the opportunity arises. It looks better with the zebra skin off.

Moving 056.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a interesting rug to say the least. I have never thought about a rug with a horned animal.

This last May on my first safari I debated back and forth on weather I wanted to shoot a black or a blue wildebeest. I had a real nice blue at 60 yard for over a hour just watching it when I decided that a black is a neater animal, so that is what I shot with no regrets.
 
I say pick the best trophy that gives you the opportunity. Both of these animals are great in their own way, the question is will you get a shot at them both or only one of them? One thing I've learnt from bow hunting is that sometimes you should not be as picky when it comes to the species but be picky to what size trophy you shoot.
Good luck on your hunt and give us some feedback
 
kal has a good point, let Africa choose for You.
 
Take the best animal that presents itself. They are both great. I have a beautiful blue from my first trip in 2013 and a red hartebeest from my trip in 2015. I will be back for the black in 2016 with Ditholo Safaris for my slam. The blue rug is gorgeous with its stripes and color variations.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,120
Members
169,903
Latest member
RicardoMar
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top