Bison kills hunter

Still fired more shots into the bison "but sustained fatal injuries from the charging animal," according to the coroner's office.

The bison is said to have died because of its injuries about 100 metres from where it charged at Still, states the news release.

A GoFundMe page started over the long weekend, which raised more than $10,000 as of Tuesday, says Still ran a home business with his wife, and was the "sole provider for their family."

d8a2c3fa025ce5eed04ab2587898b5ef.jpg
9975770e1b46135f667bd6b3dc34ecc2.jpg
 
Happens once or several times a year here (utah state)where humans and wildlife share the same domain. Sometimes people are the cause, sometimes rutting bulls or protective cows. I did a quick google search and came up with three in less than two years-but not hunters. . .
59AF27A6-62E2-48A8-BAC3-BFD61EDC1A8E.png
 
Terrible. You can never be too careful. In Africa, unlike in NA, it is common to put another shot in an animal buffalo or otherwise. Maybe a lesson we should learn and not worry so much about wasting meat.
 
Terrible. You can never be too careful. In Africa, unlike in NA, it is common to put another shot in an animal buffalo or otherwise. Maybe a lesson we should learn and not worry so much about wasting meat.
According to this news report our hero did just that..."Still fired more shots into the bison "but sustained fatal injuries from the charging animal,"
IN the immortal words of Robert Ruark..."Use Enough Gun!"
 
According to this news report our hero did just that..."Still fired more shots into the bison "but sustained fatal injuries from the charging animal,"
IN the immortal words of Robert Ruark..."Use Enough Gun!"
It would be interesting to know the caliber used. Hard to say, but odds are it would along the lines of a 7mmRM, 30-06, 300 mag, or 338WM. These are pretty common in the North. Of course it doesn't matter what is used if not a vital hit. Better a .243 through the boiler room than a 458 Lott glanced off a horn...
 
According to this news report our hero did just that..."Still fired more shots into the bison "but sustained fatal injuries from the charging animal,"
IN the immortal words of Robert Ruark..."Use Enough Gun!"
Fred yes but it appears he was shooting after the change started. I was meaning an insurance shot on a downed buffalo.
I totally agree with Use Enough Gun!
Philip
 
Getting gored to death by a maddened bovine is one of the most gruesome manners of getting killed .

In 1978 , we lost Forest Ranger Abu Sayeed ( a dear friend of mine ) to a huge Gaur , which wandered into Bangladesh from India . It was goring local villagers indiscriminately and was responsible for four deaths .

Abu used to own a Sako bolt action rifle in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum . He loaded the magazine with Winchester Western 300 grain full metal jacket solids and went off to respond to the emergency distress call . He shoot the animal four times . Two were broadside heart shots and two were frontal heart shots , when the Gaur charged him . The Gaur eviscerated Abu with it’s horns . Abu Sayeed was an extremely strong man . He managed to cling to life for two days .

Later , the other Forest Rangers were finally able to shoot the Gaur to death . An autopsy revealed that not even one of Abu’s bullets ( despite being perfectly placed ) had penetrated into the heart of the Gaur . The 300 grain “ solids “ had their jackets split open and had mushroomed like soft nosed bullets . They had tumbled and broken upon striking the chest muscles and shoulder bones of the 1360 kilogram Gaur .

Days later , I was actually able to examine the boxes of ammunition which Abu had been using . They were Winchester Western 300 grain flat top full metal jacket solid factory loads . The bullet looked exactly like a semi spitzer soft nosed bullet , but the top was flat nosed and closed in metal . Taking a magnet to the bullets , I realized that Winchester was not using steel in the jackets of their so called “ solids “ . It was really unfortunate that the poor man lost his life in the line of duty , simply because of a flaw in Winchester’s “ solid “ design .

For Gaur , that is why I have always personally favored the .458 Winchester Magnum and 500 grain steel jacketed Hornady solids .
6C9801A7-3850-4601-B2D4-78FA6D06F301.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,572,117
Members
169,494
Latest member
EthanL7457
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top