NDWoods

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
I will likely not ever buy anything above 375 H&H, but I must admit I have had my finger on the mouse a few times looking at larger calibers. The 416 Rigby was the closest that I got. I am a gun nerd and love to experience different calibers so I may get something else some day.

When it comes to calibers above 375 H&H, and factory ammo is the only option, what is most readily available? What caliber has the most affordable ammo (if there is such a thing)?
Bolt gun calibers only as I am just not interested in doubles.

Go easy on me, it is just a conversation starter and I understand the value in reloading. I am just not a reloader and have no desire to with as many hobbies as I already have.

Go!

458 Winchester magnum
and
416 Remington magnum

come to mind . . .

450/400 N.E.

416 Remington and 458 Winchester would be ideal for finding ammunition. 458 Lott would also be a good choice (you can use 458 Win in a pinch).

We have about 3 boxes of Rem Safari Grade 416 Rem loaded with 400g A-Frames left. Probably should buy a few more boxes.

I like the .458 Lott for the dual ammunition stream also using the .458 WM. The .458 bore diameter allows the use of .45-70 projectiles and gas checked lead bullets in reloading. The process is quite simple and as it's a straight wall case...could be done with relative ease, but since you're not going to...you could always flat rate me your empty shells in exchange for my undying admiration. :E Lol:

A further wrinkle is: are you planning to use the rifle outside of Texas, especially are you likely to take it on a hunt in Africa? If so, ammo availability in the location of your hunt may also be a consideration. What's plentiful in the US may be unobtainium in, for example, South Africa and vice versa. This is a consideration for when you and your rifle get there but your ammo doesn't. For South Africa, a perusal of the Safari Outdoors centerfire ammo listing may give you an idea of what can be purchased 'off the shelf'. For other locations I'm sure your PH could give advise.

404 Jeffery not mentioned? Ohhh... maybe it's the ammo thing.

From the standpoint of availability from what I have seen in the past year.
416 Rigby and 416 Rem Mag have been in fair supply depending on what load you are looking for.
458 Win Mag and 458 Lott has been readily available in most loads.
I would personally be looking at the 458 Lott

I like the .458 Lott for the dual ammunition stream also using the .458 WM. The .458 bore diameter allows the use of .45-70 projectiles and gas checked lead bullets in reloading. The process is quite simple and as it's a straight wall case...could be done with relative ease, but since you're not going to...you could always flat rate me your empty shells in exchange for my undying admiration. :E Lol:
I have three VERY lucky friends that reload and get buckets of brass from me.

A further wrinkle is: are you planning to use the rifle outside of Texas, especially are you likely to take it on a hunt in Africa? If so, ammo availability in the location of your hunt may also be a consideration. What's plentiful in the US may be unobtainium in, for example, South Africa and vice versa. This is a consideration for when you and your rifle get there but your ammo doesn't. For South Africa, a perusal of the Safari Outdoors centerfire ammo listing may give you an idea of what can be purchased 'off the shelf'. For other locations I'm sure your PH could give advise.
Outfit I hunted with in SA last year shoot 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. If I go again it will be with them so in that scenario I would be covered with my existing 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby if I bought one.

Outfit I hunted with in SA last year shoot 375 H&H and 416 Rigby. If I go again it will be with them so in that scenario I would be covered with my existing 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby if I bought one.
Lots of people talk about it but in all my trips to Africa, I’ve never lost my own ammunition.

Looking at 458 Lott ammo online since it is a recommendation and price is very close to 416 Rigby.
This will be a fun research project.

I just read a few articles where a common opinion was that the jump from 375 H&H to 416 Rigby was not much, so if a hunter was keeping the 375 H&H and wanting to add a bigger caliber, the 458 Lott would be a better choice. Very interesting!

Looking at 458 Lott ammo online since it is a recommendation and price is very close to 416 Rigby.
This will be a fun research project.

I just read a few articles where a common opinion was that the jump from 375 H&H to 416 Rigby was not much, so if a hunter was keeping the 375 H&H and wanting to add a bigger caliber, the 458 Lott would be a better choice. Very interesting!
Lot of people say the .416 rigby is one of the best all time penetrators. And I mean it’s .416 rigby… As cool as it gets imo

416 rigby has some pretty nifty performance, I’m especially intrigued by it’s penetration of armor. But I’ve never seen it for sale on a gunstore shelf. I can usually count on seeing 458 win mag next to 375 h&h at larger gun stores.

Lot of people say the .416 rigby is one of the best all time penetrators. And I mean it’s .416 rigby… As cool as it gets imo
416's in general will out penetrate most other cartridges. The Rigby cartridge has some cool factor... but otherwise it's one of the most expensive and difficult to find 416 cartridges.

No difference in performance between the 416 Rem and 416 Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross