Big Bores on Bear

The invite for Black Bear has been the only (field experience) with a Big Bore. A measure of control, proficiency, instinct. It was a clean kill "not much goes to waste with these guys"

I simply, almost brought solids?
View attachment 614556
This individual's dog was later attacked & put down.

They use 45-70, 44 Mag, & Slugs, for the neck if possible.

Ahead of the dogs, he was walking across the road apx. 30yrds. The Jeffery hit the right shoulder & that was that?
 
They use 45-70, 44 Mag, & Slugs, for the neck if possible.

Ahead of the dogs, he was walking across the road apx. 30yrds. The Jeffery hit the right shoulder & that was that?
While i have no doubt big bores would be great on black bears, where i live and hunt bait and dogs are not allowed so flatter shooting cartridges tend to be the popular choice. In my area we spend a lot of time glassing for bears in the spring and shots tend to be on the longer side. In the fall (at least for me) bears are more of a target of opportunity while hunting deer or elk in which case the rifle in hand is the obvious choice and any rifle i would shoot an elk with is more than worthy to shoot a black bear with.
 
While i have no doubt big bores would be great on black bears, where i live and hunt bait and dogs are not allowed so flatter shooting cartridges tend to be the popular choice. In my area we spend a lot of time glassing for bears in the spring and shots tend to be on the longer side. In the fall (at least for me) bears are more of a target of opportunity while hunting deer or elk in which case the rifle in hand is the obvious choice and any rifle i would shoot an elk with is more than worthy to shoot a black bear with.
Indeed. From what I understand dogs can be a bit controversial here? I respect everyone's thoughts, as it's been an "invitation". I had to look @ the 30-06, as it's been so long since a deer hunt. 165grn Core-Lokt SP.
 
Indeed. From what I understand dogs can be a bit controversial here? I respect everyone's thoughts, as it's been an "invitation". I had to look @ the 30-06, as it's been so long since a deer hunt. 165grn Core-Lokt SP.
It's not my intention to stir up any controversy. I know opinions differ on the topic, but for the record i have nothing against bait or dogs when it comes to bear hunting. I simply dont use them because its not legal in my area. I have killed two black bears with 30-06 180gr core-lokts, both one shot kills.
 
It's not my intention to stir up any controversy. I know opinions differ on the topic, but for the record i have nothing against bait or dogs when it comes to bear hunting. I simply dont use them because its not legal in my area. I have killed two black bears with 30-06 180gr core-lokts, both one shot kills.
By all means, I understand. I am pleased to hear the success with Remington's "projectiles" however. many thanks!
 
By all means, I understand. I am pleased to hear the success with Remington's "projectiles" however. many thanks!
Core-Lokts have a steller reputation where i live. I used to assume thats because of how cheap they are but as I get older and more experienced i realize there is more to it. I started out using them because they were cheap and I continue to use them because the work really well. I have used other bullets and they work well too, but the Core-Lokt will always have a special place in my heart. Maybe its just that you can take the hunter out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the hunter? Haha
 
Core-Lokts have a steller reputation where i live. I used to assume thats because of how cheap they are but as I get older and more experienced i realize there is more to it. I started out using them because they were cheap and I continue to use them because the work really well. I have used other bullets and they work well too, but the Core-Lokt will always have a special place in my heart. Maybe its just that you can take the hunter out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the hunter? Haha
I think Core-Lokts are very good bullets for what they are. When used at moderate velocities, they seem to be very reliable and effective.
 
I think Core-Lokts are very good bullets for what they are. When used at moderate velocities, they seem to be very reliable and effective.
Totally agree. 180gr 30-06 2600ish yields excellent results on deer size game. I generally step up to a bonded bullet in magnums (I like norma bondstrike) or mono metal (I like barns tsx)
 
The only place I've hunted black bear was north central Idaho.

I brought my 9.3x62 loaded up with 285 gr Oryx. I knew it would be thick country, but I didn't realize exactly HOW thick. If I hunt that place again, or something similar, I'll definitely bring my 45-70 1895 GBL (18.5" bbl), loaded with with 425 gr lead alloy, running around 1625 fps. That load will take the starch out of anything, with plenty to spare.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,177
Members
169,915
Latest member
calfenspomgro1984
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top