Big 5 hunting concession in Caprivi

dwerner

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I offer big game hunting safaris of free ranging game in two new hunting concessions, Salambala of 92,000ha (230,000 acres) just north of the Chobe River, and Kabula Bula of 35,000ha (87,500 acres) in the Caprivi, Namibia. This region holds the largest free roaming elephant population in Africa, many buffalo and plains game. For more information visit the website.

Welcome to AH Werner.

Welcome to AH. Sounds like you have some nice property!

Would someone please explain to me why the trophy fees for buff in Caprivi are so much higher ($8,500-$10,000) than just about anywhere else in Africa, including Tanzania? Are the buffs that much better? The daily rates are generally very reasonable, by DG standards, but what you save there gets eaten up with the trophy fees. I'd love to know, as I've wondered about this for a while. I've hunted PG in Namibia, and would otherwise not hesitate to return to Namibia for my first buff hunt.

welcome to the site werner
enjoy

Would someone please explain to me why the trophy fees for buff in Caprivi are so much higher ($8,500-$10,000) than just about anywhere else in Africa, including Tanzania? Are the buffs that much better? The daily rates are generally very reasonable, by DG standards, but what you save there gets eaten up with the trophy fees. I'd love to know, as I've wondered about this for a while. I've hunted PG in Namibia, and would otherwise not hesitate to return to Namibia for my first buff hunt.

I hunted buff in the Caprivi in 2010 and was able to take a 42" animal. However these are the same genetic pool as Botswana and Western Zim. The trophy cost is driven by the government trophy fee and concession costs which are, in turn, driven by demand. Friends just lost a concession in the Caprivi in what became a bidding war with two other outfitters. They dropped out when they felt they could no longer make a profit (and margins are razor thin just about anywhere). In the Caprivi, most of those concessions are "owned" by the local village(s) which form conservancies and lease them under government supervision. Quotas are typically pretty small. Six bulls make for a pretty tough denominator when the PH starts to figure costs. The Caprivi outfitters try to keep their prices down by offering low daily rates, but as you note, things tend to net out. I am going to Moz for buff in '14, and though the actual trophy fee is much lower, overall cost will be pretty close.

I am an agent for the hunting outfitter/PH in Namibia. They used to operate in the Matesi area in NW Zimbabwe but have recently acquired the concessions in the Caprivi.
hi werner do you have these concessions as a ph/outfitter or are you an agent?

Thank you, Red.

Yes, Red Leg, hit the nail on the head!

You can definitely hunt the Big 5 in Namibia. It's remote. At least the elephant tusks are exportable for USA citizens.

Im a PH from SA and am looking for an area to hunt alot of my clients outside of SA. I currently have a post on this forum looking for a place. I've hunted Namibia alot and like it very much. Can you give me more info on your place ie. prices, lodging, etc.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg