Beware QuickLoad

You can buy a lot of good reloading manuals for $175. Zero frustration!
@Joker12
Until you try and figure out why 3 different manuals give 3 different min and max loads for the same powder. Which one is right Charlie Brown.
Bob

It is quite simple to figure out.

When you downloaded the program did it say that it was for Windows 7, 8, or 10?

I believe that Win 7 was a 32 bit system where Win 8 and 10 are 64 bit systems. Some programs will work in both 32 and 64 but not all.

So if you go back to where you got the download for Quick Load from you need to make sure that it says that it will work on Windows 7
@Jim P
By the time I figured that out my computer would be in about 500 bits after throwing it out the windows and giving it some love either an 8# sledge hammer

I gave up on QL a long time ago. Could never get it to work properly in that the PSI was always orders of magnitude greater than what it actually was in recipes that I knew were safe and had actual PSI measurements.

I find that once I feed in all the relevant data it is actually rather accurate though I never forget it is just a theoretical estimate so typical safety rules still apply.

Anyway, let’s hope the OP manages to work it out. Initially I had issues launching the software but figured out what was causing the error.

I'm still trying to figure out why a 3 1/2" floppy disk isn't floppy.

DB
5 1/4" discs were floppy, guess the name just carried through.

@Jim P
By the time I figured that out my computer would be in about 500 bits after throwing it out the windows and giving it some love either an 8# sledge hammer

That's where I prefer a few loading manuals and then once I have my load figured out it is in a binder with all my other loads that I use.
I hope you don't ever have it connected to the internet. XP is a hacker's wet dream come true. The last time MS released a patch for it was in 2017. Before that, it was probably around 2010, maybe 2008. 99.999% of patches released are to address security gaps. The bad guys are continuously discovering new vulnerabilities, or exploiting existing ones for which there are no patches. You will have to take the word of a guy who defends during his day job, and attacks for spending money in the evenings and the weekends. I love it when I run across an XP or Windows 2000 machine. Makes my attack job a lot easier, and a lot more profitable.

AFAIK, all Win7 that are Pro/Enterprise or similar are 64 bit. Home edition was the only one I know of that was 32-bit.

That computer hasn't seen the internet ever since I lost support for it from my virus protection company. And if it does happen to see the internet it will be there just long enough for a program update. But I bought it to use it somewhere that there is no internet connection.

I gave up on QL a long time ago. Could never get it to work properly in that the PSI was always orders of magnitude greater than what it actually was in recipes that I knew were safe and had actual PSI measurements.
OK, so now I have to ask: What do you use instead?

Here specifically is why I am asking: I'm a beginning reloader. I've taken up reloading because my two favorite rifles are my M1903 Mannlicher, and my M1910 Mannlicher. Hornady lists load data for the M1903, but no one is still listing for the M1910. Along with that are concerns relating to powder availability: For the M1903, Hornady lists 7 different powders. My Woodleigh manual actually lists 8, but several are the same as the Hornady manual, so I have 9 from which to choose... and they aren't normally in stock. None list options for lead free bullets, which I do not like, but in some places legally must use. In one case, I contacted a manufacturer who admitted they had no data but suggested an amount that "might work"... coupled with (longer) Woodleigh 160 grain PPs loaded to max length (which left a lot of bullet in the brass) and had huge pressure signs. It was definitely not correct!

I had hoped Quickload would be my answer for these conundrums... is there another piece of software I should consider?

I'd really like to get the PPs to work, as the ballistic coefficient on that would really help at ranges past 100m.

I had hoped Quickload would be my answer for these conundrums... is there another piece of software I should consider?

There’s a program called GRtools. I haven’t used it so cannot comment. I use QL though and am quite happy with it.

Old school. Reloading manuals and various forum posts where I start safely from lower amounts of powder and go up.
how far back do I need to go for 9.5X57? And I'm thinking the powders aren't quite the same!

how far back do I need to go for 9.5X57? And I'm thinking the powders aren't quite the same!
Manuals that are put out by bullet companies may have loads for legacy cartridges.

Ammoguide.com is a good resource for them.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed. I have a new computer Quickload brand new and cannot get it to work no matter what I do. No phone number for customer service for QuickLoad. I just wasted $175. Beware. I would not buy it again

I know nothing of Quickload but I do know a bit about quirky custom software. Back in the olden days you could right click and do properties on the windows icon and there would be a "compatibility mode" so windows treats the application like an older version of windows or uses older libaries.

Basically, run it like its windows 95 again. That should help you out.

OK, so now I have to ask: What do you use instead?

Here specifically is why I am asking: I'm a beginning reloader. I've taken up reloading because my two favorite rifles are my M1903 Mannlicher, and my M1910 Mannlicher. Hornady lists load data for the M1903, but no one is still listing for the M1910. Along with that are concerns relating to powder availability: For the M1903, Hornady lists 7 different powders. My Woodleigh manual actually lists 8, but several are the same as the Hornady manual, so I have 9 from which to choose... and they aren't normally in stock. None list options for lead free bullets, which I do not like, but in some places legally must use. In one case, I contacted a manufacturer who admitted they had no data but suggested an amount that "might work"... coupled with (longer) Woodleigh 160 grain PPs loaded to max length (which left a lot of bullet in the brass) and had huge pressure signs. It was definitely not correct!

I'd really like to get the PPs to work, as the ballistic coefficient on that would really help at ranges past 100m.
@SaintPanzer
I have used Wayne Blackalls load from a disc for years and it has a few hundred round listed.
If you PMme with what you want including the COAL, bullet type and powder I can have a look for you.
I got it because it even had a similar version of my 25 wildcat that I could use the data for.
Bob

@SaintPanzer

The M1910 Mannlicher is the

9.5×57mm Mannlicher–Schönauer, correct?​

It's listed in Quickload, but then the software indicates no bullets are available. When I tried to select a bullet anyway, it ended up in a Cluster and I had to use Task Manager to even close the program.

So it seems like Quickload is not your solution. I would try to find a forum dedicated to the Mannlicher rifles and see if anyone is still reloading for it. (And how they make their brass, etc.).

FWIW Quickload works well for me. Not magical and not always as close to actual as I wish - just another tool in the drawer. Especially for a powder that might not be listed in the manuals.

Attachments

• 9.5×57mm_Mannlicher–Schönauer_Cartridge_Drawing_(Eley_-_1919).jpg
    9.5×57mm_Mannlicher–Schönauer_Cartridge_Drawing_(Eley_-_1919).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 51
@SaintPanzer

It's listed in Quickload, but then the software indicates no bullets are available. When I tried to select a bullet anyway, it ended up in a Cluster and I had to use Task Manager to even close the program.

So it seems like Quickload is not your solution. I would try to find a forum dedicated to the Mannlicher rifles and see if anyone is still reloading for it. (And how they make their brass, etc.).

FWIW Quickload works well for me. Not magical and not always as close to actual as I wish - just another tool in the drawer. Especially for a powder that might not be listed in the manuals.
What bullet folder did you have selected? 9.5x57 MS shoots a .376 diameter bullet, same as the .375 H&H so there should be quite a few bullets to use.

@SaintPanzer

My QL shows one bullet for it, 250gr LEE C379-250-1R. If the projectiles are not in the database you can always enter the details manually.

then how did the woman die? Did he fire more than one shot? Shrapnel? Strange.

What bullet folder did you have selected? 9.5x57 MS shoots a .376 diameter bullet, same as the .375 H&H so there should be quite a few bullets to use.
I tried Norma and possibly one other.

Normally, when you change to a different cartridge, QL will choose a default bullet to get things going. My version just indicated none available.

@Opposite Pole - I did not know you could enter a bullet manually. Learned something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross