Best two or three barrel takedown for Africa hunting

Mauser M03 in 404 jeffery barrels in 9,3 x62 + 7x64 Brenneke + a mauser M03 in 8x57 is
ABD6AA0E-57AA-4DAE-8D0E-178C2A276CDE.jpeg

What you saw was probably the same article which gave me the idea to order my set. As I recall, it was more elaborate, with even more barrel sets. I ordered my set in the spring of 1970 and had it delivered a year later, just in time for my first trip to Africa that fall.
Ok
That was one very good article, and a good option to carry around and find many uses for it worldwide.

Merkel or Simson had as option 3 barrelsets before the war . RJM Goering bought his Merkel set in 8x75RS .

And not to forget Bengt Berg and his one of a kind all set oje can think of on a couple of basqules.

My head is spinning from trying to digest all the options presented in this thread so far!
It makes me wonder what happened to the One Gun Safari concept? Also where will all those nice 450/400 rifles go?
Since being dizzy gives me a headache, I will just stick with my "One Gun" Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF. Rather than a pile of barrels and parts, I can just use various 41 caliber bullets and loads for my different game requirements . 210 grain 41 mag , 300 grain "do all" with North Fork Bullets, and 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore and solids for the largest and toughest game.

51985_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My head is spinning from trying to digest all the options presented in this thread so far!
It makes me wonder what happened to the One Gun Safari concept? Also where will all those nice 450/400 rifles go?
Since being dizzy gives me a headache, I will just stick with my "One Gun" Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF. Rather than a pile of barrels and parts, I can just use various 41 caliber bullets and loads for my different game requirements . 210 grain 41 mag , 300 grain "do all" with North Fork Bullets, and 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore and solids for the largest and toughest game.

View attachment 418883
@crs
A bit like the Whelen. Load with pistol bullets up to deep driving 310 grainers. Do most things well and others if push comes to shove in a pinch. Not as good as the 405 on DG pluss illegal. Will do everything the old 350 Rigby will.
Bob

For me , you can’t go wrong with a .30-06 Springfield barrel ( for the plains game ) and a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum barrel ( for the dangerous game ) . Went on roughly a dozen African Safaris since 1974 , and this combination has always worked for me on everything from duiker to elephant .

What an interesting idea.

When I read the title I thought of take down rifles, not just changing the

I would do it rather differently.

Small Game
- .22 LR in a Browning SA-22 (Classic, takedown, great for small game and practise).
- Various lever action .22lr come apart quite neatly or even on FN Trombone

Medium / Deer / Plains Game
- 44 mag Winchester 1892 clone (.44 mag work as a deer rifle but you can get 1892 and 1894 takedowns from Chiappa in Winchester in things like .30-30, 38-55 and 450 Marlin. Chiappa even do a takedown in 45-70 in an 1886 clone).
- Then there is the single barrel Kipplaufs of the world (7x57r, 7x65r, 8x57r and 9.3x74r spring to mind)
- You could also go with a Browning O/U Double rifle, in similar sorts of chamberings and have a 20b set of barrels which fit the same action…

Dangerous Game
- For large and angry things. Pick a double rifle of your choice. I’d go 470 but I that’s just me…

I think for all of those chamberings you can have some form of non-lead loaded in them, even the .22lr…. And all of them take down...

Scrummy

Bob Nelson
I came about this caliber and rifle quite by accident and the Scientific Method was not involved.
While at a range with a friend, he asked me to help him check the sights on his brand new Winchester 1895 .405 WCF as he was finding it difficult to see the iron sights.
It was a revelation shooting his rifle with factory 300 grain ammo! Three bullseyes, perfect fit, mild recoil, and it was balanced well and handled like it was made for me. WOW - I had to have one.

I bought a Safe Queen that my wife thought was pretty and it remains unfired. Soon, I came across the one I bought and hunt with.
Since then I have taken a variety of game in North America, Cape Buff in Africa, water buff in Texas, etc.

The water buff really opened my eyes to the power and effectiveness of the .405 with North Fork bullets. A 45 yard shot with a 300 grain NF Cup Point Solid at 2250 fps destroyed the both front legs and took out the heart and lungs! DRT and hit the ground limp - so hard the head bounced ! I still remember the blank, glazed eyes of that head.
Amazed me , the land owner, and a couple of buddies. AKA Witnesses.

One more reason that I use NF bullets in my big bore rifles.

Bob Nelson
I came about this caliber and rifle quite by accident and the Scientific Method was not involved.
While at a range with a friend, he asked me to help him check the sights on his brand new Winchester 1895 .405 WCF as he was finding it difficult to see the iron sights.
It was a revelation shooting his rifle with factory 300 grain ammo! Three bullseyes, perfect fit, mild recoil, and it was balanced well and handled like it was made for me. WOW - I had to have one.

I bought a Safe Queen that my wife thought was pretty and it remains unfired. Soon, I came across the one I bought and hunt with.
Since then I have taken a variety of game in North America, Cape Buff in Africa, water buff in Texas, etc.

The water buff really opened my eyes to the power and effectiveness of the .405 with North Fork bullets. A 45 yard shot with a 300 grain NF Cup Point Solid at 2250 fps destroyed the both front legs and took out the heart and lungs! DRT and hit the ground limp - so hard the head bounced ! I still remember the blank, glazed eyes of that head.
Amazed me , the land owner, and a couple of buddies. AKA Witnesses.

One more reason that I use NF bullets in my big bore rifles.
@crs
I bet the buff got a big shock as well. Glad you found something that fits,you so well and works for you.
I hope to try the Whelen out next year on scrub bull loaded with 275gn Woodleigh.
Bob

Reactions: crs
What is the weight of an average sized scrub bull?
Just checking to be sure that you are using enough gun.

Nice packaging for your rifles. Those calibers should cover most critters. Good show.

Speaking of cases, I like them for my shotguns and nice rifle sets.

This is on my “future builds list” …

And a 30-378 Weatherby barrel?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.16.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.16.09 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
If you want to hunt everything Africa has to offer allow me to suggest the Thompson Center Encore.
With 30-06 barrel 12ga shotgun barrel and 500S&W. Custom barrels even can be found in 375 H&H?
breaks down into very compact package and is easily converted into pistol configuration.

If you want to hunt everything Africa has to offer allow me to suggest the Thompson Center Encore.
With 30-06 barrel 12ga shotgun barrel and 500S&W. Custom barrels even can be found in 375 H&H?
breaks down into very compact package and is easily converted into pistol configuration.
Im not quite certain about the 500 SW barrel but will back the .30-06 and .375 barrels up as a solid choice. I think that .375 H&H is the highest I'd go in the Encore. It's quite lively and I don't want to figure out what the larger calibers recoil like. Design needs to weigh more for them.

I am not sure. No wheels and smaller than the next size up that gives you the wheels. I think it is v700 case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.