Best two or three barrel takedown for Africa hunting

For me I would for sure get a 375H&H barrel, then whatever else I want. When I go to Africa, I would take the 375 barrel, and leave the other at home.
Surprised no one has chimed in with the client rifle line yet.

The client....should have solids and softs and be able to bloody well take care of his own bacon should the need arise. :A Stirring: :A Outta:

Surprised no one has chimed in with the client rifle line yet.

The client....should have solids and softs and be able to bloody well take care of his own bacon should the need arise. :A Stirring: :A Outta:
@Forrest Halley
All well and good mate but they ain't talking about hunting BACON.
Use enough gun or more than you need

6E9E8BD3-BA85-4BC4-84CF-4BFD5530B0F9.jpeg

I went with a r8 in .375 H&H and .300 win mag in a pelican protector 1700.

I like the idea, but wonder if they are too much overlap. Really liked that combo of .458 Lott and 300 win mag.
I just got it so don’t have any real world experience of expertise. I got this for a specific dangerous game/plains game hunt. Honestly I didn’t have the desire to deal with learning to handle the recoil of a big bore. I figure the .375 is adequate for buffalo and maybe better than a big bore for the more precise shot required on leopard. I think the .375 would handle all my plains game needs fine for the hunt. However we are going to be ending the trip in Masailand for plains game where I understand there can be some longer shots so figure the .300 has a bit of an edge there.

Forrest Halley said "the client....should have solids and softs and be able to bloody well take care of his own bacon"
Agreed, so I promise not to use my .405 on anything larger than elephant.
If that little lady Osa Johnson can kill Cape Buff and ele with Circa 1900 factory 300 grain bullets, surely I can with modern North Fork solids.

Forrest Halley said "the client....should have solids and softs and be able to bloody well take care of his own bacon"
Agreed, so I promise not to use my .405 on anything larger than elephant.
If that little lady Osa Johnson can kill Cape Buff and ele with Circa 1900 factory 300 grain bullets, surely I can with modern North Fork solids.
I'm just saying there @crs if you go into the bush in search of adventure, you ought to be able to protect yourself without relying totally on the hired help...who I'm sure is more than capable and hardly ever fails...except when they do.

You best rest easy with that world shaking pop gun of yours...never know when you might have a pass through that causes an avalanche killing a bunch of snowboarding hippies... :A Tease:

How goes the conversion of the .45-90 DR?

I just got it so don’t have any real world experience of expertise. I got this for a specific dangerous game/plains game hunt. Honestly I didn’t have the desire to deal with learning to handle the recoil of a big bore. I figure the .375 is adequate for buffalo and maybe better than a big bore for the more precise shot required on leopard. I think the .375 would handle all my plains game needs fine for the hunt. However we are going to be ending the trip in Masailand for plains game where I understand there can be some longer shots so figure the .300 has a bit of an edge there.
Definitely see your point. Same bolt face. More oomph than a .257 or a 7mm.

Forrest asked "How goes the conversion of the .45-90 DR?"

Answer = Done and paid for! Between the nasty weather, schedules and such, it will be another week or two before I can meet with Aaron to shoot it and pick it up. Then I plan to take some better pictures and make a post about it. I am loading more ammo for it this weekend.

PS I really do agree with you about the client being ready, able, and willing to assist PH as needed.
PPS Pass throughs do seem to happen with me with North Forks and Woodies. So I will be careful.

Nice packaging for your rifles. Those calibers should cover most critters. Good show.

Speaking of cases, I like them for my shotguns and nice rifle sets.

I learned just about everything in that case from listening to the folks on this forum. I also had several drinks from the Blaser KoolAid jug!
Tra3, the pelican comes with 3 layers of foam . I replaced the middle layer with a piece of high density I got on eBay. Cut it with very sharp knife. And finished edges with a torch.
7mm barrel threaded for silencer .

I like the idea, but wonder if they are too much overlap. Really liked that combo of .458 Lott and 300 win mag.
@Forrest Halley
My young friend you have much to learn. The philosophy of go big or go home may be fine but isn't totally correct nowdays. At times with new and improved projectiles and powders smaller may be better.
The 21st century saying of less is more may have some value.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
My young friend you have much to learn. The philosophy of go big or go home may be fine but isn't totally correct nowdays. At times with new and improved projectiles and powders smaller may be better.
The 21st century saying of less is more may have some value.
Bob
Why good Townsend Nelson (@Bob Nelson 35Whelen ) that is exactly the logic I apply when I use my .243 or two-four-three. Thank you for sharing such learned wisdom.

My two-barrel set for Africa is 300WM/.375H&H. I was very happy to have the 300WM when I had a 400 yard shot on a wounded zebra in Namibia. This last trip to Limpopo, however, was primarily for buffalo, and I knew PG ranges would be under 200, so I just brought the .375 barrel. The Blaser is a great platform because of caliber flexibility, but it also allows you to travel with a single caliber in a tiny case like this Negrini:

54E75E57-330F-4F11-A8C8-2725679569E6.jpeg
A948B04F-65FB-4207-8637-B673F9A4E125.jpeg

Why good Townsend Nelson (@Bob Nelson 35Whelen ) that is exactly the logic I apply when I use my .243 or two-four-three. Thank you for sharing such learned wisdom.
@Forrest Halley
How many times do I have to tell you the 243 isn't a hunting rifle.
You still have much to learn. Me thinks you need to go bigger in this case or stay home.
Bob

On my last trip my two barrels were 9.3x74R and .500 NE. Seemed to work and fit in Pelican 1700.

full
That's just so classy...

Did you order both at the same time, and are they therefore identical (apart from caliber) @Tanks ? Or do they have different engravings?

V.

@Forrest Halley
How many times do I have to tell you the 243 isn't a hunting rifle.
You still have much to learn. Me thinks you need to go bigger in this case or stay home.
Bob
Sorry brother I have to disagree a little here. The 243 loaded with 80gr Barness TTSX is a better killer then a 270 Win loaded with 130gr Cup and core bullets ….

That's just so classy...

Did you order both at the same time, and are they therefore identical (apart from caliber) @Tanks ? Or do they have different engravings?

V.
Thanks. I lucked into the .500 NE when the original owner wanted to sell it after firing 6 rounds per barrel.

I ordered the 9.3x74R after and matched the engravings and style on the .500 NE (hence 88B instead of 89)

Thanks. I lucked into the .500 NE when the original owner wanted to sell it after firing 6 rounds per barrel.

I ordered the 9.3x74R after and matched the engravings and style on the .500 NE (hence 88B instead of 89)
That is lucky indeed!

I did not realise one of the two is a 89b, I thought one of the hallmarks of the 89b to be the straight "English Boxlock looking" receiver look. I'll need to go double check the catalogue again. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PedroGlado

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg