Best starter guns for an adult newbie

So I'm interested in taking up hunting one day. However, like a lot of people, I didn't learn from my family as my parents aren't big on the idea of hunting. So I'm wondering what's the best group of rifles to look into if I ever want to get serious about hunting.

I'm fairly heavy so I THINK I can handle some recoil with practice but nothing obscene and my most likely quarry will be deer of the whitetail size range (maybe elk if I ever feel like going out West).
A calibre that won't wreck your shoulder or make you flinch, but will knock the average sized deer on its backside, I would recommend the 7mm-08 as a starter. From there you can move up to the parent cartridge .308 for a bit more grunt, then perhaps a 30-06 or 35 Whelen for the bigger stuff. It can be an exciting (albeit expensive) journey !

A calibre that won't wreck your shoulder or make you flinch, but will knock the average sized deer on its backside, I would recommend the 7mm-08 as a starter. From there you can move up to the parent cartridge .308 for a bit more grunt, then perhaps a 30-06 or 35 Whelen for the bigger stuff. It can be an exciting (albeit expensive) journey !
@Cervus elaphus
Why not just start with the 308 and managed recoil loads and work up. Saves money and shoots more.
Bob

@Cervus elaphus
Why not just start with the 308 and managed recoil loads and work up. Saves money and shoots more.
Bob
Because that is practical. Remember the aim of the game is to encourage our .com freinds to buy more rifles.

He did say it's for hunting or the .223 would be a great centrefires practice cartridge.

If the OP wants to have minimum rifles with the widest range of calibres then start with a 7mm-08 then the .next step is a .35Whelen and skip another when you need something bigger start with a 4 something.

Well , for a newbie ( who will be hunting American game exclusively ) … You can’t go wrong with :

1 ) A .22 LR ( my personal favorite is the old Czech BRNO Model 2 )
2 ) A .30-06 Springfield ( my personal favorite is the old Czech BRNO ZKK600 )
3 ) A 12 Gauge ( my personal favorite happens to be a 1932 made Belgium Sidelock Ejector )

Depending on how recoil sensitive you are , you can substitute the .30-06 Springfield for a 7x57 mm Mauser . That’s what I personally own and hunt with , in my native country . Because 7x57 mm Mauser ammunition is easily available . But be warned that American 7x57 mm Mauser factory ammunition is loaded to far lower velocities and pressures than their European counterparts . And since you’re new to this game , I doubt that you’ll begin hand loading anytime soon . Use Norma or RWS factory ammunition .

However , there is a far wider selection of .30-06 Springfield ammunition than there is 7x57 mm Mauser ammunition in most American sporting goods stores . And 220 Gr Remington Core Lokt soft points out of a .30-06 Springfield are really good for elk . If you plan to stick exclusively to whitetail deer sized game , then the 7x57 mm Mauser will be fine . Depending on your shot placement , a 7x57 mm Mauser can definitely down an elk too ( I’ve done it myself with RWS Brenneke 177 Gr TIG soft points ) . But the .30-06 Springfield definitely has the advantage for elk .

When I first started hunting in the 1960s , I began with my grandfather’s 12 Gauge ( 3 “ Paper Case Proofed ) Belgian side by side shotgun ( which I got licensed in my own name in 1972 ) . Since I only owned one firearm initially , I wanted a versatile one . I figured that I could use birdshot for small game and buckshot for big game . I learnt to use bolt action rifles during my military service in 1971 and slowly saw the superiority of rifles over shotguns for hunting big game ( during my career as DFO , I’ve had to go after my first two man eating Royal Bengal Tigers with a shotgun and it definitely wasn’t a pleasant experience ) . I bought an E.J Churchill 7x57 mm Mauser in 1989 , and it’s proven extremely effective on our local Chital Deer and wild boars ( I’ve even taken my third and final man eating Royal Bengal Tiger with it ) .

My four kids-and my wife all started with an iron sight .22 shooting at soda cans and eggs and water balloons-things that are fun to shoot and react well when hit. Then they move to the .17 hmr with its scope and longer distances. Then on up to the .270, and 7mm-08. My wife does not hunt, but she does love to shoot at our garbage on the range with the “kids.”

Gotta think even more basic here IMO, stoopid cheap to shoot to learn the basics of sight picture/breathing/trigger control....drum roll....

A high power spring pellet gun in 22 or 25 cal

Grab a RWS 48 or 52 side cocking and a couple tins of Crosman Premiers then start with irons at 10yds and go from there.

Those that know the 48 and 52 are will get what I mean.

Learn with a .22LR. Train with a .223/.308, hunt with a .30-06 and you’ll be better off than most. I’d have the three guns nearly identical if possible, using the same glass and open sights

My recommendation is get a nice Ruger 10/22 to start with. If you're going to hunt with a scope, put a scope on it (something decent but not insanely expensive). Practice shooting from the bench, but more importantly standing (offhand) as well as sitting. Then get yourself a 270 Win bolt action rifle. A new Winchester model 70 is a good choice. Put a good scope on it (Leupold 3-9x) is fine. Start with 130g premium bullets. They will kill elk just fine, and are a great deer and antelope round as well. Everytime you go out to the range, start with the 22 then move up to the 270. Dry fire practice at the range (only with the 270! not with the 22!) is great too. When you dry fire you should see the same exact sight picture before and after you squeeze the trigger (at first you will jerk around, but with practice that will go away) Anyway my two cents

Gotta think even more basic here IMO, stoopid cheap to shoot to learn the basics of sight picture/breathing/trigger control....drum roll....

A high power spring pellet gun in 22 or 25 cal

Grab a RWS 48 or 52 side cocking and a couple tins of Crosman Premiers then start with irons at 10yds and go from there.

Those that know the 48 and 52 are will get what I mean.
Not a bad recommendation especially if the person is starting on their own without a mentor. A whole lot less investment and less chance for trouble.

A Howa 1500, in 308 Win very good quality low cost rifle in a caliber you can get ammo
almost everywhere.

Reviving an old thread to sing high praises for the Howa 1500 in 308..

Our youngest has recently taken up hunting... We took her along on a trip to South Africa last July.. she'd never hunted anything (big or small game), but decided to give things a try while we were there.. after taking her first impala, she now is all in.. We're taking her back in July 2023 to give her a shot at a few more plains game.. and are looking at a couple of local hunts this next season to take her on as well (she also chased dove in Argentina a few months ago also)...

So... once we started making plans for this coming July I decided it was time to buy her a rifle... she already owns a shotgun and a pistol and a .22 rifle.. but has never owned a centerfire of any sort and has very little experience with them.. so I didn't want to drop a fortune on what MIGHT (although doubtful) be a fleeting hobby that only lasts a couple of seasons and then goes away.. but at the same time wanted something reliable, accurate, in a caliber she could handle, etc.. that is also capable of easily dispatching TX deer, hogs and other NA critters as well as most plains game (currently she only has blesbok and maybe springbok on the menu for this summer.. but I have a feeling when the time comes, somehow a kudu or something else will end up being talked about lol...)...

Ive been looking at different offerings from remington, winchester, begara, etc.. and had already decided we'd go with .308 for the caliber (her mom shoots 308 90% of the time.. I shoot 308 90% of the time.. Ive got close to 500 rounds loaded that shoot well in our preferred rifles, etc..)..

@cash_tx has gotten me into a good bit of trouble lately keeping the North DFW guys informed of the closeout/clearance sale going on at the Field & Stream that's close by.. about a week ago we stopped back by just to see if anything was left on the shelves (there is almost nothing left)... and found just a few rifles and pistols on the racks, all at 25% off... Among them was a hunt ready Howa 1500, topped with a cheap scope (but decent bases/rings), in a Hogue Overmould stock (stock alone is a $135 value.. and is substantially better than what most companies are putting on their entry level rifles).. with the discount, the rifle was $471 out the door... thanks @cash_tx ... you've now cost me close to $2K between the 4x trips to Field and Stream... :D :D :D

I know little about Howa other than its the same rifle as the Weatherby Vanguard, and that it seems to get very good reviews from the folks that own them... but after checking it out and seeing some of the features (an AR/Sako type extractor, takes Rem 700 mounts, the Hogue stock, etc).. at that price I couldn't leave it behind.. So, our youngest now has a new PG/Deer rifle... :)

So.. fast forward to now... I immediately pulled the scope and put something a little nicer on it (had a spare 4-12x sitting the safe doing nothing).. cleaned it up, bore sighted it.. and then took it to the range..

With winchester white box 150 gr, it'll hold just under a 1" group at 100 (5 rounds).. with the same hand loads that we hunt with in my wife's kimber and my Rem 600, it holds right at .75" at 100 (well within the Howa 1 MOA guarantee)...

While its only got about 40 rounds through it so far.. for the money, I dont know that this rifle can be beat.. I am SUPER IMPRESSED..

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread to sing high praises for the Howa 1500 in 308..

Our youngest has recently taken up hunting... We took her along on a trip to South Africa last July.. she'd never hunted anything (big or small game), but decided to give things a try while we were there.. after taking her first impala, she now is all in.. We're taking her back in July 2023 to give her a shot at a few more plains game.. and are looking at a couple of local hunts this next season to take her on as well (she also chased dove in Argentina a few months ago also)...

So... once we started making plans for this coming July I decided it was time to buy her a rifle... she already owns a shotgun and a pistol and a .22 rifle.. but has never owned a centerfire of any sort and has very little experience with them.. so I didn't want to drop a fortune on what MIGHT (although doubtful) be a fleeting hobby that only lasts a couple of seasons and then goes away.. but at the same time wanted something reliable, accurate, in a caliber she could handle, etc.. that is also capable of easily dispatching TX deer, hogs and other NA critters as well as most plains game (currently she only has blesbok and maybe springbok on the menu for this summer.. but I have a feeling when the time comes, somehow a kudu or something else will end up being talked about lol...)...

Ive been looking at different offerings from remington, winchester, begara, etc.. and had already decided we'd go with .308 for the caliber (her mom shoots 308 90% of the time.. I shoot 308 90% of the time.. Ive got close to 500 rounds loaded that shoot well in our preferred rifles, etc..)..

@cash_tx has gotten me into a good bit of trouble lately keeping the North DFW guys informed of the closeout/clearance sale going on at the Field & Stream that's close by.. about a week ago we stopped back by just to see if anything was left on the shelves (there is almost nothing left)... and found just a few rifles and pistols on the racks, all at 25% off... Among them was a hunt ready Howa 1500, topped with a cheap scope (but decent mounts/rings), in a Hogue Overmould stock (stock alone is a $135 value.. and is substantially better than what most companies are putting on their entry level rifles).. with the discount, the rifle was $471 out the door... thanks @cash_tx ... you've now cost me close to $2K between the 4x trips to Field and Stream... :D :D :D

I know little about Howa other than its the same rifle as the Weatherby Vanguard, and that it seems to get very good reviews from the folks that own them... but after checking it out and seeing some of the features (an AR/Sako type extractor, takes Rem 700 mounts, the Hogue stock, etc).. at that price I couldn't leave it behind.. So, our youngest now has a new PG/Deer rifle... :)

So.. fast forward to now... I immediately pulled the scope and put something a little nicer on it (had a spare 4-12x sitting the safe doing nothing).. cleaned it up, bore sighted it.. and then took it to the range..

With winchester white box 150 gr, it'll hold just under a 1" group at 100 (5 rounds).. with the same hand loads that we hunt with in my wife's kimber and my Rem 600, it holds right at .75" at 100 (well within the Howa 1 MOA guarantee)...

While its only got about 40 rounds through it so far.. for the money, I dont know that this rifle can be beat.. I am SUPER IMPRESSED..
@mdwest
My son has a Howa with a hogue stock in 308. He loves it. For general hunting he uses a 150gn SST and Varget. 3/4" groups and a great bullet for pigs and deer.
The load he use a lot in Namibia was a 150gn Accubond and 50gn of CFE223. This gave him just over 2,900fps and 0.3" groups. As usual this load was safe in his rifle but start 3gn lower and work up.
Bob
20211117_163416.jpg

150gn SST retrieved from an 80 odd kg pig after going thru both gristle fighting pads and lodging under the skin on the offside. Retained weight 117grain.
You will be very happy with the little Howa.

My daughter, when of age, will be started on a .22LR and as her first centerfire rifle a Ruger N°1 in 270Win.

Sounds like excellent hand loads @Bob Nelson 35Whelen !

As a general purpose, catch all load.. Im using a barnes 168gr TTSX over 43.5gr of IMR 4064.. it gets me to about 2600 fps in our little short barreled (18") Rem 600 and Kimber Adirondack rifles.. Ive thought about brewing up something in the 150 class for the youngster (new shooter, and a bit recoil sensitive at the moment).. Im hoping the bigger/heavier Howa will help mitigate a little bit of the recoil as well (the Rem 600 and Adirondack as small and light as they are are more like shooting a mid bore magnum than a typical 308).. I might give those loads you describe a try... thanks!

As a general purpose, catch all load.. Im using a barnes 168gr TTSX over 43.5gr of IMR 4064.. it gets me to about 2600 fps in our little short barreled (18") Rem 600 and Kimber Adirondack rifles.. Ive thought about brewing up something in the 150 class for the youngster (new shooter, and a bit recoil sensitive at the moment).. Im hoping the bigger/heavier Howa will help mitigate a little bit of the recoil as well (the Rem 600 and Adirondack as small and light as they are are more like shooting a mid bore magnum than a typical 308).. I might give those loads you describe a try... thanks!
I've taken my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 to Africa numerous times, my ammo of choice is 168 grain Barnes TTSX, that works wonders on zebra, blue wildebeest, gemsbuck and numerous other plains game. Another great thing about .308 is there is no caliber out there offering more ammo choices at your local hunting store.

My daughter, when of age, will be started on a .22LR and as her first centerfire rifle a Ruger N°1 in 270Win.
When I was young, I shot competitively - air pistol and .22. Then I bought a large caliber pistol and won several local (hobby) IPSC competitions.
Shooting is about strong nerves, psyche, exercises. It must be done subconsciously, without thinking. Aiming, breathing, working with the trigger. The only thinking is about the target. Rimfire .22 is really the best way to start. Without fear of recoil and the noise of a shot. My opinion and experience as a sports shooter.

I really like my T3X Tikkas in 22, 6.5 Creed & 3006.

Does she need a shorter LOP and shorter (20") barrel?

The liter you go the more recoil of course. Benchmark and 150 gr Hornady FMJs make a great inexpensive practice load, btw.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.31 AM.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.31 AM.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.33 AM.png
    683.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 8.59.34 AM.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 20

@mdwest
The 150gn SST is a great game bullet. The one in the picture is the only one I have ever recovered. The rest have usually been thru and thru. The do massive internal damage and are a lot cheaper than Barnes. The extra couple of hundred fps is worth it. CFE223 should work well with them as well. It's just I didn't have any at the time that's why I used Varget. I jealousy hoard my CFE223 for use in the Whelen.
Bob

I've taken my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 to Africa numerous times, my ammo of choice is 168 grain Barnes TTSX, that works wonders on zebra, blue wildebeest, gemsbuck and numerous other plains game. Another great thing about .308 is there is no caliber out there offering more ammo choices at your local hunting store.
@Andrew62
There's no flies on the 150gn accubonds for plains game in Namibia either.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!