Best looking stock

I think that the most "complete" stock on all of my guns is the one on my .404.

Nothing to compare with a grade 9 Rigby or even a Westley Richards, but I paid less than 4k for this new rifle (without scope) and I think that the stock is still quite a nice one...


20230618_164242.jpg
 
I think that the most "complete" stock on all of my guns is the one on my .404.

Nothing to compare with a grade 9 Rigby or even a Westley Richards, but I paid less than 4k for this new rifle (without scope) and I think that the stock is still quite a nice one...


View attachment 540750
Ain't nothing wrong with that piece of wood!
 
On my

refurbished Rigby 275 they also advised me to have this colored stock versus the red hue given mine was built in 1956. Mine certainly does not compare to the beauty of this one!!!
I like both the red stocks and the more natural colour stocks. Given my Highland Stalker is a red stock I think it will be good to have the 450 in a different stock so I have an example of both. The problem I'm going to have with this one is I am going to be really concerned with damage, anyone that knows me knows I use my rifles and a few scratches here and there doesn't bother me at all but with this one I think I'm going to be a bit precious with it.
 
Worthless when chamber and rest of rifle is out if speck....
 
Looks is one thing I prefer strength in a stock as my rifles are working tools....I am leaning towards laminated stocks as aposed to highly figured walnut....

I’ve got a few really nice walnut stocks on rifles… but the vast majority of my rifles wear either synthetic or laminate stocks… for me less maintenance and more strength is usually a greater priority…
 
I’ve got a few really nice walnut stocks on rifles… but the vast majority of my rifles wear either synthetic or laminate stocks… for me less maintenance and more strength is usually a greater priority…
I have synthetic too. Several rifles have both so I can swap them out. I am not opposed to hunting with synthetic but I like working on/building my wood stocks. Wood is far more sexy!!!!
 
I was reading through Joe D Clayton's book on the Ruger No 1 in bed, late last night; some gorgeous stocks in there ...
 
Worthless when chamber and rest of rifle is out if speck....

Of course a beautiful stock doesn't make a practical difference if a rifle is mechanically unsound. That's a given. Aesthetics ≠ utility. I don't think anyone would argue against that.

But the point of this thread was not to discuss the most important qualities in a rifle--it was to discuss and share photos of what people consider the best looking gunstocks.

I guess I just don't understand the compulsion to be a wet blanket.
 
Hello. Photos of the wood of a friend's arms. If it's supposed to be pleasing to the eye, I think it should be.

View attachment 540728

I really like the lines of the back of the action of this rifle. Do you have more info on what it is? Who made it?
 
Echols synthetic. The beauty is in the simplicity. :)

63AD2AE4-DD19-4CCA-8411-DF7681E2D496.jpeg
DF4415D7-1473-4521-805A-CD1BDEE37203.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks is one thing I prefer strength in a stock as my rifles are working tools....I am leaning towards laminated stocks as aposed to highly figured walnut....
You could start a new thread, titled "Strongest Stock".

Just a thought.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,332
Messages
1,573,217
Members
169,723
Latest member
DominiqueY
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top