Best looking stock

Blaser uses very good wood, not a fan of the leaping rabbits though.
@J Mac 49 - What Kevin is talking about is the double rabbit cheekpiece that Blaser uses on most of their wood stocks. Wasn’t sure if you had it or the more traditional pancake that comes on a Jaeger.

Some beautiful exhibition grade stock have been presented and they certainly are exquisite, while down the grades a bit but still very nice is the stock I made for my 1916 Erfurt SM in 6.5x57. I have done quite a few others that I really liked as well but you have all seen them in various other posts.

6.5x57 Erfurt.png

DSCN0026 (2).JPG

This 88b isn't bad...

1684892107038.png

I don't even like muzzleloaders, but couldn't resist this one because of the wood...

1684895222339.png

Avoid a beautiful stock, if it has curling near the grip.

If there is any significant recoil at all, it will break.

It happened to a friend twice with a Sako in .308 Win.

This was a reference to the AHR Lott. Guess the quote didn’t take. :).
As you know, I have its twin. We both were fortunate with the draw on the lumber! Beautiful stock!

Avoid a beautiful stock, if it has curling near the grip.

If there is any significant recoil at all, it will break.

It happened to a friend twice with a Sako in .308 Win.
I followed a stock blank seller for a while and noted how they would overlay the proposed cut-out that always got the straight grain into the grip even at the expense of the base. But of course not everyone follows their advice. When you consider what has to come together to get a really exceptional stock you realise just how rare they are.

I am on a journey now. A journey of eyes, ears and heart. Looking through scores of "blanks" of wood for the one that speaks to me of the centuries lived, storms, droughts and fires weathered and the lifetimes of stories it has overheard. A tree can live a good, long while... but create a rifle stock with it and it can live forever.

@J Mac 49 - What Kevin is talking about is the double rabbit cheekpiece that Blaser uses on most of their wood stocks. Wasn’t sure if you had it or the more traditional pancake that comes on a Jaeger.
Thanks @BeeMaa.

My R8 does have the double rabbit. It is a bit unusual but I live with it.
20211206_155541.jpg

Both the bloke who I prefer to make me a stock, and his supplier (Brett Russouw, and Roger Vardy) both insist on the grain running straight through the pistol grip, especially for heavier recoiling rifles. ALL the blanks are naturally aged, air dried, some I've browsed in Roger's list must be over 40 years old...

There is some really nice wood on this thread
I really like the wood I had done for my 336.
My 404 has the best wood I own on it.
The dark stock has very nice colour, hint of red.

I know there are more practical materials that are completely waterproof, lighter in weight, and absorb recoil better but I'll always be a walnut and blued steel guy. I have a production grade 20 gauge with a rather uninteresting piece of oil-finished walnut for a stock. I can't help but love her...

23729539888_6b4e083242_b.jpg

If God had meant for gunstocks to be plastic, he would’ve made trees out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!