Best electronic hearing protection?

charlieB12345

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Best electronic hearing protection? Need your advice !

I don't have the experience or budget of some people here. But I used Walker Razer ear muffs and Walker Game ears for all my hunts this year. Both generally work. I don't like ear muffs in hot weather but prefer them in cool weather. Both gave me lots of unnecessary white noise in hight wind. But it was really nice being able to hear right up till the actual gunshot.

3M peletor. About $100. Bluetooth. I use them for loud home and farm projects as well as shooting. On a hunt, they work great for kids (and adults!) to be able to listen and have hearing protection.

When I am at the range alone (which is common) I enjoy listening music through the Bluetooth connection while doing whatever shooting is needed. It makes for a more enjoyable range trip.

LOL, he said best, not cheapest.

They get better as you go up in price, as you can imagine, my current most expensive were about $800, which actually puts them right at about "decent," in reality.

Excellent would be $2k+
Good we could call $1k+
Decent $500+
Serviceable sub $500

And I have several, even right now, sub $500, they work, the quality of audio through them, how they handle wind, how much noise reduction you truly get, so on and so forth, is, serviceable.

They work, have a pair of Howard Leight muffs I've had for like 13yrs or so that have been out in minus 20 and worse temperatures, worked, I still use them today, they are on my nightstand next to my bed in case someone breaks into the house. $60 they cost me.

Fantastic, but they still aren't $3k custom fit hearing protection.

It's like reading people talk about how their $50 Tasco still kills the deer and who needs the $7k S&B... well, try and read a road sign at 1500yds with the Tasco, or see how it holds zero when you drop it from the tree, or, see if the 1/4" per click clicks are actually exactly .25 vs .26 or .28 or so on...

For the high end, I'd actually recommend seeing if your audiologist works with certain companies and then looking there, insurance may cover them this way. Also, some HSA accounts will cover them.

LOL, he said best, not cheapest.

They get better as you go up in price, as you can imagine, my current most expensive were about $800, which actually puts them right at about "decent," in reality.

Excellent would be $2k+
Good we could call $1k+
Decent $500+
Serviceable sub $500

And I have several, even right now, sub $500, they work, the quality of audio through them, how they handle wind, how much noise reduction you truly get, so on and so forth, is, serviceable.

They work, have a pair of Howard Leight muffs I've had for like 13yrs or so that have been out in minus 20 and worse temperatures, worked, I still use them today, they are on my nightstand next to my bed in case someone breaks into the house. $60 they cost me.

Fantastic, but they still aren't $3k custom fit hearing protection.

It's like reading people talk about how their $50 Tasco still kills the deer and who needs the $7k S&B... well, try and read a road sign at 1500yds with the Tasco, or see how it holds zero when you drop it from the tree, or, see if the 1/4" per click clicks are actually exactly .25 vs .26 or .28 or so on...

For the high end, I'd actually recommend seeing if your audiologist works with certain companies and then looking there, insurance may cover them this way. Also, some HSA accounts will cover them.
While I agree that good products usually cost more I wouldn’t say that spending more money makes a product inherently superior. I would be interested to see another brand name of all these expensive ones you have outside of the Howard Leight ones you’ve had for 13 years. I would like to take a look at some of them.

Last edited:
I have a set of TETRA Custom Shield Multi-Pursuit molded electronic ear pro. Not cheap but totally worth it. Ordered them at SCI 2023 that included a hearing test and custom plug fitting. There was a show discount to save a few bucks on the price.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I have a set of TETRA Custom Shield Multi-Pursuit molded electronic ear pro. Not cheap but totally worth it. Ordered them at SCI 2023 that included a hearing test and custom plug fitting. There was a show discount to save a few bucks on the price.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

These guys from Tetra are here in Nashville. Great bunch of guys, great support, and superior product. They will be at our local Music City SCI banquet as well as SCI National Convention. Just talk to them, or go to their website.

While I agree that good products usually cost more I wouldn’t say that spending more money makes a product inherently superior. I would be interested to see another brand name of all these expensive ones you have outside of the Howard Leight ones you’ve had for 13 years. I would like to take a look at some of them.

I wasn't speaking in absolutes.

My most expensive at this moment are my Axil GS Digital 2.0, purchased because they claimed 29db NRR, they also had a trial period, in which, I tested that as best I could.

500 S&W 5" total with brake, three 9mms, two have twin port compensators, one is V6 ported, my 458 lott is braked, only gun I own without a muzzle rise/recoil reduction implement is a citori 20ga.

Noise reduction quality took precedent over everything else for me at this particular time, given my guns, these Axils are great, and for electronic hearing protection they are about as high a rating as it gets, and it seems to be true.

But Axil has changed their name, again, Axil was a changed name, something they've done a couple times in a handful of years, so I would say that I'd be cautious if looking to spend good money there. Though I believe they've reduced the models they make now.

I also tried the 3M but I have to say that the Sordin is better regarding the noises caused by wind. They have several models including some with Bluetooth,...

I have been using it with my .404 Jeffery too. No issues at all.

I´m using the Howard Leight muffs, for hunting.

At the range I add earplugs.

In Africa I hire guns with supressors.

But Axil has changed their name, again, Axil was a changed name, something they've done a couple times in a handful of years, so I would say that I'd be cautious if looking to spend good money there. Though I believe they've reduced the models they make now.
To what did they change their name? I just received an email from Axil last week...

I wasn't speaking in absolutes.

My most expensive at this moment are my Axil GS Digital 2.0, purchased because they claimed 29db NRR, they also had a trial period, in which, I tested that as best I could.

500 S&W 5" total with brake, three 9mms, two have twin port compensators, one is V6 ported, my 458 lott is braked, only gun I own without a muzzle rise/recoil reduction implement is a citori 20ga.

Noise reduction quality took precedent over everything else for me at this particular time, given my guns, these Axils are great, and for electronic hearing protection they are about as high a rating as it gets, and it seems to be true.

Ok I just can’t find anything close to those prices the highest I have found is custom ear plugs at about $1500. Axil has some $160 ear muffs and ear buds xcor at 349.99. I was just wanting to see what was out there on the high end I didn’t know about.

To what did they change their name? I just received an email from Axil last week...
There is a company called Axil selling ear protection right now but doesn’t seem to be as high end as what is being implied.

I like ESP for in the ear and Sordin for muff.

Does anyone know of ear protection in the $ 2000+ range I am curious to see what features are offered in this class. If I am willing to spend this much on scopes and rifles it makes sense to protect my hearing. I just want to see what features are available in this class of ear protection.

Does anyone know of ear protection in the $ 2000+ range I am curious to see what features are offered in this class. If I am willing to spend this much on scopes and rifles it makes sense to protect my hearing. I just want to see what features are available in this class of ear protection.
ESP can get you into that price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESP can get you into that price range.
interesting looks like an upgraded microphone and sound quality mostly decibel reduction is in the same range as the peoltor tep 100' s I have been using for about 10 years now. those require hearing aid batteries though could still be worth the extra hassle of batteries.

I have been using Soundgear Phantom for a few years now. Rechargeable, Bluetooth etc., etc. details below:

Retails for $1599, but House of Hearing does have a reduced price for shooters.

interesting looks like an upgraded microphone and sound quality mostly decibel reduction is in the same range as the peoltor tep 100' s I have been using for about 10 years now. those require hearing aid batteries though could still be worth the extra hassle of batteries.
I have some of the same Peltor and for me the ESP with custom in the ear is better. Like anything, perceptions vary between individuals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvyPrim830

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.