Best calibers for a 2 barrel set

IvW,

Just remember that the 500/416 really does not do well with our locally available powders.

.470NE and 20 gauge shotgun.

When weight restrictions and maximum number of guns allowed on planes/safaris get further restricted, this will be the gun to have. Kick in a separate small bore rifle for a 2nd gun, or buy a third set of barrels for the .470/20g and make it 9.3x74r, 375rimmed, 7x57r or 8x57JRS. That should about take care of everything.

Rookhawk, you have nailed it. I was lucky enough to find my double in exactly that
.470NE
9.3x74R
20guage

and i can tell you that is as close as you can get to nailing the safari set.

If I had to have one built for me...............personally for nostalgic reasons mainly I would have gone:
.450NE
375H&H Flanged
20G

but hey beggars cant be choosers!

Nice combo's.

Another"problem" has arisen in the meantime.

I have come across a Chapuis SxS in 9.3x74R, fully engraved, ejector's, fitted with QD swing off mounts and sporting a beautifully figured Walnut stock! Appears to be unfired, for the "pricely" sum of US$ 2850!!

I have shouldered the rifle numerous times with my eyes closed and when I open my right eye, the front bead sits neatly in the bottom of the rear sight, a perfect fit, as if it was made for me.

I cannot imagine a better rifle for Leopard and Lion back-up as well as using it myself on any critters I still plan on hunting.

I cannot pass up this rifle so may have to put off my plans for a two barrel double for now.

Nice combo's.

I have come across a Chapuis SxS in 9.3x74R, fully engraved, ejector's, fitted with QD swing off mounts and sporting a beautifully figured Walnut stock! Appears to be unfired, for the "pricely" sum of US$ 2850!!

I have shouldered the rifle numerous times with my eyes closed and when I open my right eye, the front bead sits neatly in the bottom of the rear sight, a perfect fit, as if it was made for me.

I cannot imagine a better rifle for Leopard and Lion back-up as well as using it myself on any critters I still plan on hunting.

I cannot pass up this rifle so may have to put off my plans for a two barrel double for now.

At that price, if you dont take it, let me know where you live so i can give you a :V Dope Slap: across the ear! :E Happy:

Nice combo's.

That, is an amazing price.

So, did you buy it yet? And, if not, will you PM me the seller before you tell PeteG? :)

I think the rifle is in RSA.

ivw,
using this gun primarily as a stopper and having moderate recoil, leaves you at the 450/400. the 500/416 WILL recoil more, it shoots a bit harder. for cats, i suspect the 450/400 will do a perfect job if the shots are spot on, if not, then the next shot is there for you. you better than anyone know this, a marginal hit with a 416, 458 or 400 will all give a similar result.

the thing i like best about my 450/400 is its relatively moderate recoil. again you know that under duress, you won't notice the recoil. BUT, when shooting stuff that wants to bite you, inside of 10 yards, then a quicker second shot might be a very real advantage.

as you stated above, the 500/416 should get it done with one shot, but i suspect with similar shot placement, the 450/400 would too. you have a very nice dilemma to decide. i am interested to hear what you decide on.

Sale is in progress...trying to source Recknagel rings to suite!

500NE & 400/450NE with 20 gauge.

I have a 450 - 3.1/4" in over under and wish I had a 500 and the 400/450 in side by side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg