Best bang for buck cheap scopes?

I have owned almost exclusively Leupold for years. I have a VX 3 1.5 x 5 on my 8x57 Oberndorf Mauser, another of the same on my Browning falling block 45-70, and a VX2 2x7 on my Mauser .308. The Mauser scope hasnt been off in ...hell, over thirty years. The one I put on the Browning I bought off Ebay. Before mounting I called Leupold and told them exactly what was up..used scope going on a heavy recoiling rifle and was wondering about having it checked out first. I was told to send out to them and they would return it to original factory specs and get it back to me within the week. Hmm!
Turns out I mounted it and it has been just fine for over twenty years now, but I would rather have an awesome warranty I never need than an awesome warranty that is needed repeatedy, as some friends have had with a whole slug of different economy scopes.

I got a 4200 years ago new on closeout, great scope and rain just beads off the glass- i use this on my 7mag when its raining to hopefully drop them where they stand. I would not put it on anything larger than a 7mag though as the eye relief is on the shorter side. That reminds me, I need to keep an eye out for one the rare glossy versions.

Same with vortex - short eye relief but I have 3 of them. They are my pick for this topic.

Unlike most, I am not a fan of the old vx3's mushy adjustments nor the new version with the unnecessary return to zero feature.

Another Leupold guy. Used scopes are about as appealing to me as buying used underwear but I’ll buy Leupolds used because of the warranty.
My best scope I’ve had for cheap is my Tasco World Class made in Japan I mounted on my 280 when I was 22, I’m 55 now and that rifle has gone through countless rounds and miles of hunts and it has never had the zero moved in all those years. I’ve considered replacing it but it’s crisp and clear and gives me clover leafs and I’m old enough someone sneering at it doesn’t bother me.

While I wouldn't take for the performance of my only Zeiss HT scope, I appreciate that new less expensive scopes may have incorporated features which even expensive scopes of days gone by did not include, including for example broad band multi coatings. What are your favorite performance best buys in scopes, both new and used?
One of my best acquisitions was a Bushnell Elite 4200, which I hear was assembled from the leftover stock of B&L elite components when Bushnell bought them out. In any case, it is VERY good and not just at the price point of $200 NIB which I paid. If it only had more eye relief I might be searching high and low for another.
Your best buys, gentlemen?

I‘m a scope snob but I also am budget conscious. I have searches going all the time for various scopes when the price is right and I can pounce. Some of my favorites with my “accumulate when found prices”:

1980s stainless steel 4x and 6x fixed power weavers (all weather designs for rim fires) $200
1980s zeiss 1” straight tube 1.5-4.5x18mm $600
1990s Schmidt & Bender 1-4x24mm $600
1990s S&B Klassik 6x fixed in 1” and 30mm tubes $600
1990s Kahles scopes in the $400 range
2000s Swaro z6 1-6x24mm EEs for $1000 and illuminated non EEs at $1400

Honorable mention for brand new best deal scope: Swarovski Z3 3-9x36mm 1” tube for $650 new w/ warranty. Incredible scope for the money.

While I wouldn't take for the performance of my only Zeiss HT scope, I appreciate that new less expensive scopes may have incorporated features which even expensive scopes of days gone by did not include, including for example broad band multi coatings. What are your favorite performance best buys in scopes, both new and used?
One of my best acquisitions was a Bushnell Elite 4200, which I hear was assembled from the leftover stock of B&L elite components when Bushnell bought them out. In any case, it is VERY good and not just at the price point of $200 NIB which I paid. If it only had more eye relief I might be searching high and low for another.
Bushnell is making their Elite 4200 again. You might think about trying it. The one I've played with reminds me of the older ones. I also know of a dealer that still has some older NIB B&L scopes by Bushnell.

I generally don't mess with budget optics except on pinkers, but just picked up a Leupold VX3HD to try on a .22LR. I've messed with the AR Optics line from Busnell someone mentioned and they're decent for the cost, especially the LVPO's. I personally have had issues with every Vortex Optic I've owned. They did replace them all for free, but binos breaking the first time while hunting, or a reticle not tracking prior to the first shot didn't make me too happy.

IMHO I think the best bang for your buck is the Leuplod VX5HD line currently. If you've got the money you absolutely CAN NOT go wrong with a Schmit & Bender. Night Force and Swarovski/Khales aren't too far behind. If I'm trusting my life on the gun it'll have top tier optics. If I'm trusting my hard earned money while hunting, VX5HD is where I'll be at a minimum.

@steve white
The scopes I have now are the ones I will keep for life.
I started out with budget Arctic Fox made in the same Chinese factory as Barska. Even tho these scopes gave EXCELLENT service for 10 years I thought I deserved better. The Arctic fox were clear, weather proof, tracked well and never lost zero even with hard hunting.
I know have 2 Meopta meapro 3.5 to 10x44s. One withthe Z plex reticle and the other a BDC reticle. The scope on my whelen is a 3 to 9 Zies Terra. Not top end but a big step up in clarity and dawn and dusk hunting. Until I got a higher grade glass I didn't know what I was missing. The Arctic Fox served me well with no complaints for all my hunting. Now I've become a blue collar snob with the cheaper versions of meopta and zies

There is s new scope on the market and I don't think they will stay cheap for long so far impressed met very much.

ZeroTech https://www.zerotech.com.au/product/3-9x40mm-thrive-zeroplex-riflescope/

I have the ZeroTech on the 375 H&H as x 6 scope was just not giving me the edge I wanted to shoot a animal across a valley in the mountains at 250-300 meters.

Other scope that impressed me is Bushnell Engage.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/engage/engage-3-12x42-riflescope/BU-REN31242DG.html

This scopes sits on my 204 Ruger Howa bull barrel and since the 204 Ruger is not much good beyond 300 meters for killing its just perfect. The recticle is great and sighted in at 100 meters its quick to change over to the marks shooting at 200 and 300 meters.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 8.02.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 8.02.21 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 8.03.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 8.03.09 AM.png
    941.1 KB · Views: 26
leupold, leupold, leupold

Honorable mention for brand new best deal scope: Swarovski Z3 3-9x36mm 1” tube for $650 new w/ warranty. Incredible scope for the money.

+10000

Ive got one of these on a Kimber Adirondak in .308... spectacular glass for the money..

Not that I ever expected to keep a budget scope on my spare whitetail rifle, but once Leupold picked up the Redfield line I grabbed a 3x9-42 Revolution for $200 NIB. My old .257 Roberts has worn that glass ever since. It's shot countless deer over the course of the last decade due in part to being loaned out to my nieces, nephews, and friends. I even took my first antelope with it before acquiring my .280 Ackley. I'm not sure I've ever made an adjustment to it since the initial sight in. It's clear, has a fine reticle, and gathers light as well as my VX-3. I've been pleasantly surprised with that purchase. I believe Leupold sold Redfield off to Academy Sports however. I'm not sure what the quality is like now.

+10000

Ive got one of these on a Kimber Adirondak in .308... spectacular glass for the money..

@mdwest as your part time investment advisor, scopes and optics division, I strongly recommend you buy 1-2 of these scopes right away. The plex are hard to find, the #4 reticles are even harder. It appears it has one foot in the grave and the other is on a banana peel. Swaro discontinued this line in Europe already and it is the last 1" model (z3) in the lineup. The writing is on the wall that they will discontinue these scopes making their cheapest scopes >$1000.

Worse yet, when this scope is discontinued, there will be only two stalking rifle scopes remaining in their entire lineup, the $2600 z6i 1-6x24 and the $3000 z8i 1-8x24mm.

$650 scopes are becoming a thing of the past. Vortex charges that for absolute junk made in China and here we're talking about Austrian glass!

Nikon Monarch 3 or Monarch African 1-4.

I’ve got 3
I agree! I have several Nikon Monarchs and they are good, solid scopes. Unfortunately they got out of the rifle scope business recently. If you see one buy it!

Here's a troll comment at face value but I actually believe it.

I'd rather have a $10 tasco and $300 rings and mounts to get the scope low enough for perfect instinctive shooting than a $4000 scope in high rings with a mismatched high-comb designed for shooting off a bench.

As Americans, we have never had a reverence or understanding for the occupation of gunfitter. This is in part by ignorance and in part by marketing. The marketing teams knew if they sold highly compatible (Weaver and picatinney) stuff at mass markets they could get more sales. People also recreationally shoot from the bench and want to emulate F-Class guns and sniper stocks (designed to fit any GI with adjustable wrenches for shooting prone). Thus, scopes, rings, and stocks have not been designed and marketed to work for the most prevailing use-cases where you're either shooting off your knee, off a tree branch, or off shooting sticks. I've taken 1 shot prone on game in 20 years and that was the only time I wished my stock was built for "bench rest" dimensions.

Having clear optics is secondary to me than being able to get your face instantly on the stock, eyes closed, open your eyes, and see that you are dead-straight into the focal objective of the scope. Extra Low rings and very low mounts are key.

Sorta akin to the analogy "you always dig a $100 hole to plant a $20 tree".

Best scopes for the money in ascending cost:

Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 plex
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 plex
Swarovski Z3 3.5-10 BRH
Leupold Z5 3-15x44 firedot CDS
Swarovski Z6 EE 1-6x24 (discontinued)

I really don’t see any reason to go less expensive than the VX3 2.5-8x36. It is priced way below its quality.

One cautionary note; there were some very good Zeiss conquest 3-9 scopes made. However, something happened at Zeiss with this line and a bunch of crap scopes were sold. If you’ve got a good one (I do) great, hang onto it. However, I wouldn’t buy a new or used one with someone else’s money.

It’s a cliché I know, but no one moans about the cost of the scope when trying to find a kudu at 120m in thick bush

nor a buff at 10m

Swarovski z8i 1 - 8 x 24

horrendous cost but solid kit

I have one mounted on a custom M70 in 7x57. Finest stalking scope I have ever seen on what is likely the finest rifle I own (don’t tell the Rigby I said that!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hispeeeed

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair