Best .338

Same here. I’m curious as to what experience divernhunter had that turned him off so badly?
@Lbarr265
I to like @Divernhunter don't like the 270. No particulater reason . Just don't like it. My fast 25 gives more emphatic kills at all ranges using the 100grain Barnes TTSX or 117 grain SSTs. It shoots flatter at all ranges as well. With the 100grain Barnes TTSX sighted 2" high @100 yards I'm only 8 inches low at 400 yards. I have nothing against the 270 apart from O'Connor flogging it to death as being the best thing since since button up boots and sliced bread..
Bob

Why does everyone think this is some kind of BS load. I have ran this same load out of two different rifles. They were by the same maker but two different rifles.

I shoot long range I shoot very small targets. I have not reason to make stuff up.

The OP asked about a 338, I gave an example of what I have and what it can do.

So a 416 Rigby that can push a 400gr bullet at 2400 to 2500 fps (depending on powder). Neck it down to a 338 and top it with a 285, use a slower burning powder and longer barrel and I can't jump up my speeds 400fps and stay safe?

Wait till you see what kind of speed you can get out of a 25 creedmoor. No that's not a error, I typed it correctly 25 creedmoor.
@Inline6.
Mate I don't care what you load in the 25 manbun it will NEVER come anywhere near the 257 Weatherby or my own 25. Both of those will put a 100 grain Barnes TTSX out at close to 3,700 fps. My 27 does a chronoed 3,670.
If the 25 manbun gets any where near that you need to do one of 2 things. Buy a new chronograph or change the brand of tobacco you use .
Bob

25 creedmoor approx equal to 250/3000 savage.
bruce.
@bruce moulds.
That w ould be about the limit of it but you have to remember the 250 savage is loaded to suit the 99 savage. Like all a is cartridges if loaded to the same or similar pressure me thinks the savage would out do the 25 manbun. I can't see the fascination with necking the manbun up or down it isn't going to do anything to write home in song and story about. Even the 6.5 manbun is just another version of the wheel.
Bob

bob,
the point i was making is that it sure as hell aint a 257 wby with a 28" barrel.the same point applies to the 6.5 version.
it is just the old 6.5 mannlicher which became obsolete due to poor performance and lack of versatility.
rest in comfort that the pendulum might swing back to reality.
i know you don't like the 270, but in decent rifles commonly available it shits all over the manbun and its derivatives.
i myself prefer the 280 and the 7 mag over the 270, but if all i could get was a 270 i would not be too concerned for real world hunting of medium sized game at sensible ranges.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg