Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Fellow .470NE owners, it appears that Bertram USA has one pack of 470NE brass (100 pieces) in stock for sale. Yes, I have read many of the reports on Bertram brass. The reviews are anywhere from absolute junk to those having no issue with their product. From what I can tell, it seems to vary by caliber. I spoke with a gent at Hendershot’s about this brass. Hendershot’s is using this brass and only this brass for the loads they develop for their customers. Now this may very well be because that’s all that’s available, but the gent there said they haven’t had issues with it. I would think if they did and based on their very good reputation, they’d just stop loading in that caliber until better brass became available again.

Having said that and not having seen any of the other manufacturers offer brass in this caliber in at least a year it seems, I’m willing to give it a try. But not all by myself for 100 pieces at roughly $6 per piece.

I’ve spoken to @BnC 04 and he is willing to go in with me if I can get a couple other guys to go in with me. So I’m looking for a group of 4 to split a bag of 100 pieces together and thus have about $150 into this venture. If this is something you’d like to do, please reply in this thread and/or send me a PM.

Thanks,
Phil

From Bertram I have used 458Lott, 450 Rigby, 470NE and 500 Jeffery. Everything was great really good quality except for the 450 Rigby brass, it was terrible, cases split at the neck even from new. I contacted Bertram and they sent me replacement brass immediately, unfortunately with the same result so I threw it all away and only use Norma brass in my 450 Rigby now.

I’ve only used Bertram brass in my 425 WR, it was complete garbage. .100 difference in length, case failure on first load 5 out of 100. Ended up making cases out of Bell 404 Jeffery that lasted 7 shots when I did a test to try to destroy them, after 7 shots I didn’t have any failures. For this reason I will not buy Bertram, they cost about $5 Canadian apiece and for that price I expected quility, not garbag.

My experience with Bertram .416 Rigby brass was dismal. That was 10 years ago. I believe Bruce has a new brass supplier, and quality improved

I loaded some 500 NE with Bertram Brass last summer and was not overly impressed. Jamison performed better.

I loaded some 500 NE with Bertram Brass last summer and was not overly impressed. Jamison performed better.
Unfortunately Jamison is out of business.

I have used Bertram brass, first and seconds in my 416 Rigby, 358/338RUM and never had an issue. Bruce makes Kynoch and Rhino Brass. I suspect that the new brass supplier maybe the reason for no problems with it. Some of the 416 and RUM cases have been loaded 6 times.

From Bertram I have used 458Lott, 450 Rigby, 470NE and 500 Jeffery. Everything was great really good quality except for the 450 Rigby brass, it was terrible, cases split at the neck even from new. I contacted Bertram and they sent me replacement brass immediately, unfortunately with the same result so I threw it all away and only use Norma brass in my 450 Rigby now.
Let me know if you need more Norma 450 Rigby brass, I have plenty.

Interestingly enough, I have a bunch in 450 Rigby and have used them without issues. I do however anneal after every shot. Some of them have had a good couple of reloads already.

I have Federal pulled brass primed unfired 470 ne.
If any of you need some. They will be $2.50 a piece. 50 minimum pieces. You pay shipping.
NICKEL PLATED
I was going to get a 470 NE instead bought a 470 capstick. So no need for the brass.
Krish

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg