Beretta acquires Holland & Holland

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Beretta buys H&H

I’m not sure that it will impact my life much since I’m just a little short on having the disposable income to pick up a Royal double, but it’s interesting news anyways.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.24 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.28 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.30 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.30 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.30 PM 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.53.34 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Interesting news.

Hmmmm, Italian Holland and Holland, sounds like an interesting dish.

Very interesting. Beretta acquired the French shotgun and rifle maker Chapuis last year. Currently in the U.S. there is only one Holland & Holland showroom and it's in Dallas. Maybe Beretta will expand the H&H footprint in the U.S. market.

Well, things change...

In the 80 ties, and in the 90-ies, it would be unthinkable for eastern block arms company to buy, for example Colt, just as it is hard to imagine Italian company buying H&H,

But it is happening today.

Similar as above, CZ group is in final stages of negotiation to buy Colt.

Its all over the industry news.

Attachments

• CZG_Colt_exlusivity_extention_eng.pdf
    196.8 KB · Views: 100

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.40.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.40.54 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 83

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.51 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.55 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.41.57 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
Having visited H&H frequently over the years and enjoyed the hunting and shooting provenance that was everywhere in their sore it was very sad to see the makeover about five years ago. Gone were the rich colours, the smell of leather and quality, to be replaced by ghastly gray manakins trying to sell clobber to the hipsters. In effect another underpants store.
Beretta at least resides in the right space, one can only hope that they restore H&H to some semblance of it's former glory. The business reality is that all of these older world manufacturers need to expand the finite market that they all depend upon. They also need to diversify sensibly. Offerings of sartorial finery is an obvious one, but maybe a venture into relevant top end lifestyle goods, like Farlows??

Not sure I'm at all enthralled by it. The more businesses a conglomerate acquires the more likely quality and service decisions will be made by corporate suits with no understanding of the internal culture that made the brand what it was. Likewise, the more businesses that get swallowed up, the greater the danger of losing the lot if it goes belly up. Interesting times indeed.

In my opinion cz buying colt I think is a good thing at this point. Again just my opinion. I understand some people's valid concerns, but I think colt has had a lot of issues for a very long time and a company like cz is a great candidate to turn things around. I guess maybe I'm trying to have a positive attitude towards the whole thing.

Beretta acquired Sako 20 years ago. Not many people feel that quality improved. Thankfully, all my Sakos are older than that.

This is a significant improvement over the previous owners, Chanel! At least Beretta is a gun company!

I’ve owned two Beretta’s, an o/u and a sxs, and won’t ever get another. I had to do work on the ejectors on both. A friend asked me, while I was working on it, why I didn’t send the sxs back as it was brand new and I told him “if they couldn’t get it right the first time why would I think they could fix it”?
May be plenty of good ones out there, IDK? But when you work for a living and part with months of the fruits of that labor the d?$! thing should work. Don’t own a Holland and Holland but have an Arietta on their action and it’s a beauty and the ejectors kick’em about 12 feet like they’re taped together after 20 years of use. Hopefully they’ll take some lessons from H&H on building guns rather than the other way around,...I just snickered a little. Seriously though, if you have a great Beretta that’s wonderful, I just can’t bring myself to purchase another.

Between H&H and Chapuis, Beretta has both high and low end of the market covered now.

I think its a really positive move. As mentioned, they now cover the market spectrum. I think it's extremely unlikely that, having spent a shed load of cash, that they'll do anything to dilute the brand if anything, they'll seek to bolster its exclusivity; they push volume elsewhere so they don't need it here.

Marques are bought in all arena; Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and they mostly enjoy design freedom and the huge financial and technical reach back large parents offer.

I would suspect that Beretta will sort out the clothing and ancillaries issue and up scale the quality and the offering. I suspect there will be more US and Asian stores (but probably only in a couple of key locations) but I suspect that they won't do much about enhancing production and will be quite comfortable seeing the wait for a gun staying around the 2 - 3 year mark and thereby keep exclusivity and if the order book from the new openings serves to make that wait longer they'll just up the price and limit it that way.

Whatever the various crystal balls may suggest, I think it'll be a better future for H&H.

FN

I think its a really positive move. As mentioned, they now cover the market spectrum. I think it's extremely unlikely that, having spent a shed load of cash, that they'll do anything to dilute the brand if anything, they'll seek to bolster its exclusivity; they push volume elsewhere so they don't need it here.

Marques are bought in all arena; Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and they mostly enjoy design freedom and the huge financial and technical reach back large parents offer.

I would suspect that Beretta will sort out the clothing and ancillaries issue and up scale the quality and the offering. I suspect there will be more US and Asian stores (but probably only in a couple of key locations) but I suspect that they won't do much about enhancing production and will be quite comfortable seeing the wait for a gun staying around the 2 - 3 year mark and thereby keep exclusivity and if the order book from the new openings serves to make that wait longer they'll just up the price and limit it that way.

Whatever the various crystal balls may suggest, I think it'll be a better future for H&H.

FN
Totally agree with all your points but one. The quality of the H&H clothing line is beyond belief. The problem is not quality or design, it's pricing. You would need to mortgage your house to kit out for a driven shoot there. When I am over I shop at Bob Battaglia's shop, Park Street Guns, in St. Alban's. I can buy quality gear for 10% of what H&H wants. But then I guess, if you can shell out $250,000 for a Royal, what's $3,000 for a shooting coat?

Companies need working capital to do almost anything - even if it is doing the same old thing over and over - a business model that H&H has tried to make a virtue. One way to create capital is to create market mass. Berretta's acquisition efforts over the last several years mirror the model blazed by the L&O hunting group representing traditional brands like Rigby, Blaser, Mauser, etc. I think most here would agree that consolidation has been generally positive with no decrease in quality. Indeed, for all of those brands those greater resources have sparked a sustained period of positive innovation.

Good for beretta! I just bought the 694sporting shotgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.