BENIN: Hunting Benin With Atacora Safaris & Christophe Morio

Another great report and thank you for the pricing comparison. It just might put Benin in my future plans. Sorry to see that with the rifle stock. Very sad. I can't image how it could be broken and not have something damaged on the case or the scope. Only way I can think of breaking it there is by putting it in a vise and hitting it with a sledgehammer.

That is a real shame about the rifle stock. Hope you have insurance to help replace that stock. That would really piss me off....... Bruce

That is a real shame about the rifle stock. Hope you have insurance to help replace that stock. That would really piss me off....... Bruce
For a Martini rifle, that's far worse than a pisser!!!

Jeez! Sorry about your rifle. Very sad to see that.

That is a absolute sh** about your rifle. I don't see any damage to the scope. Is there any other signs that some baboon stomped the stock such as damage to the scope or scratches on the receiver. How does someone get the opportunity to take out and smash a rifle without being noticed? The air lines should be concerned about having such a person on their payroll.

The tuffpak looks no different than when I checked it in - a bit dirtier maybe, but no damage to it. I have a TSA lock on it, and maybe that let someone get into it? Who knows. I just know that this must have taken an awful lot of force.

That is scary.

It would take an amazing amount to break it like that.

Thanks all for the comments about the rifle. I really don't know how it could have happened, but it's been sent off to Ralf Martini to get a new stock.

If someone thinks they can intimidate me into not taking my own rifles to Africa, they are wrong. I'm going to continue to shoot my own rifles. I bought them for Africa, and to Africa they will go.

Having said that, I might just schedule them on the insurance going forward!

@Hank2211 would you mind letting us know what Mr. Martini says about that stock? I have been staring at the picture and I cannot fathom how someone could apply this much force and not damage another part of the rifle (dents on the butt stock, rings, scope etc). I guess if they bridged a gap with it and applied downward pressure :A Whacky:....:E Angry:....I hold out hope that this was not a malicious event!

amazing report Hank , just fantastic

The only thing worse than discovering a prized rifle is damaged beyond use after returning home from a hunt, is discovering the prized rifle is damaged beyond use upon arrival at the hunting camp. Save the damaged stock, maybe mount the pieces on a plaque and hang it on the wall near your Benin trophies. It will make a good conversation piece.

Really enjoyed the report Hank and have read every word.

What a shame on the rifle.... Agree with you and others. That ain't no accident.... :mad:

Great report on a wonderful hunt. I've read it several times and enjoyed it each time. Thank you Hank.
Very sorry about your rifle. Hope she comes back better than ever.
While I don't disagree that it seems likely someone intentionally abused it, that may not necessarily be the case. It certainly snapped right at the weak spot. I once saw a Browning A-Bolt stock break in the same spot when it fell over after being leaned against a tree. Not a fall on a rock or anything, just fell over on soft ground flat on its side and snapped. The grain of the wood at the wrist was a contributing factor and not really well suited for that region of the stock. The rifle was new and on its first elk hunt. It was pretty evident looking at it that the grain of the wood was the problem.
Not saying this is the issue here, just relating an experience where it was certainly an inconvenient surprise that the stock snapped.

Hank,

I took a look at on the Tuffpak website: http://www.nalpak.com/warranty

I thought their guarantee might cover your repair. Turns out all they guarantee is the case itself. Bummer.

The Guarantee is this:
If anything breaks or becomes unusable on your case for as long as you own it, Nalpak will repair or replace it free of charge.
(Freight charges not included)
Tuffpak™ = Last investment you'll ever need to make in a shipping case.

Great report I really enjoyed it. Terribly sorry about your .300. I'm certainly not trying to add insult to injury but I don't like those cases and I am convinced the Pelican is better protection. Again I am really sorry that happened to you.
Regards,
Philip

Hank, just got a chance to look at your report. As usual, it was a great read.

Glad you had a great hunt with some great trophies!

Sorry to see what happened to your rifle. I have no clue how the damage could have happened inside the Tuffpak. Seems the case must have been opened and intentionally damaged from my perspective.

All the best in getting it fixed.

Great report Hank, a truly great one. I just make a 19 trip to Benin! Seems I may be working backward toward my cape buff, Australia in 18 for water buff, savanna buff in 19, leaves 2020 for cape. The 470 should be tried and true by then! Lol
Wish your rifle survived the trip!
Cheers,
Cody

Awesome report! Then stumbling through other reports, I found you have written several. So of course I spent the past few hours reading all of them.

Awesome report! Then stumbling through other reports, I found you have written several. So of course I spent the past few hours reading all of them.
I'm torn between saying what a lucky guy you are and feeling sorry for you. I will just leave it at thanks for,themkind words!

Hello Hank,
I am finally home !!! It was still hot and no rain....
Thank you very much for your report, excellent as usual.
I will be very happy to share a hunt with you again.
Kind regards
Christophe

Hank, What a great report. I just finished the whole story and could not stop reading. Thankyou for sharing with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TraceeHigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!