Bases for Pedestals

LivingTheDream

AH legend
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
10,884
Media
41
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
2
Europe
3
Asia/M.East
1
I am thinking about getting my next mounts to be pedestals to save wall space. Just wondering if it is possible (or a good idea) to buy the bases stateside if I am getting my taxidermy done in RSA. I was thinking the extra weight and space of bases might run up the shipping costs. Has anyone ever done this? Recommend against doing it and why?

Thanks!
 
Bump. I'm interested in hearing from anyone with experience too.
 
I build my own mainly because I do not like the habitat they do on there mounts. There bases are built ok and look good but it would make the crate size go up a bunch. There is a thread under the taxidermy section that shows more of how I did it from start to finish

I even did my own habitat and it was ok for me.

1218161347a.jpg
20161224_142324.jpg
 
IMHO- I'd have mounts done as wall pedestals which are easily converted into pedestal if you chose. If you get true pedestals mounts done, you will always have to live with them on a base or some really weird wall mounting options if someday you want to hang them. I'd get bases done in States or as suggested build your own. That are not too hard to build especially if you go with a fence post design vs a full wood cabinet approach base.
 
Yeah I have plenty of time but I'm kicking around different options. I am thinking I can buy the bases here and save a bunch on shipping. That's my idea anyway. I'm thinking a sable and kudu for a pedestal to allow extra flexibility. And just wanted to minimize my shipping costs, since that is a big unknown.
 
@LivingTheDream I have even thought of going to an unfinished furniture store and buy furniture like an end table and finishing it myself.
 
Also check some local sawmills if possible. You can get your wood a lot cheaper. Throw it on a planner and done. The beetle kill pine make a beautiful pedestal. Also if possible if you can find them where they just strip the bark, hand sand and stain and that also looks great. I like the knots and inperfections. No matter what you use though it's easier than most think. Also you can build your own habitat just like you want. That's a lot of fun. Good luck
 
Those are very nice. Wonderful work.
 
Mike, what if you do the mount there "pedestal ready" and then have someone like Kanati who's in PA do the pedestal and habitat work.
 
Mike, what if you do the mount there "pedestal ready" and then have someone like Kanati who's in PA do the pedestal and habitat work.

That's really my question. Can I get the taxidermy done be pedestal ready and have them already in place for when I get my shipment.
 
That's really my question. Can I get the taxidermy done be pedestal ready and have them already in place for when I get my shipment.
I think you could. Give your taxidermist a call or call Wes at Kanati.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,289
Messages
1,570,708
Members
168,982
Latest member
russi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top