LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
I am thinking about getting my next mounts to be pedestals to save wall space. Just wondering if it is possible (or a good idea) to buy the bases stateside if I am getting my taxidermy done in RSA. I was thinking the extra weight and space of bases might run up the shipping costs. Has anyone ever done this? Recommend against doing it and why?

Thanks!

Bump. I'm interested in hearing from anyone with experience too.

I build my own mainly because I do not like the habitat they do on there mounts. There bases are built ok and look good but it would make the crate size go up a bunch. There is a thread under the taxidermy section that shows more of how I did it from start to finish

I even did my own habitat and it was ok for me.

1218161347a.jpg
20161224_142324.jpg

IMHO- I'd have mounts done as wall pedestals which are easily converted into pedestal if you chose. If you get true pedestals mounts done, you will always have to live with them on a base or some really weird wall mounting options if someday you want to hang them. I'd get bases done in States or as suggested build your own. That are not too hard to build especially if you go with a fence post design vs a full wood cabinet approach base.

Yeah I have plenty of time but I'm kicking around different options. I am thinking I can buy the bases here and save a bunch on shipping. That's my idea anyway. I'm thinking a sable and kudu for a pedestal to allow extra flexibility. And just wanted to minimize my shipping costs, since that is a big unknown.

@LivingTheDream I have even thought of going to an unfinished furniture store and buy furniture like an end table and finishing it myself.

Also check some local sawmills if possible. You can get your wood a lot cheaper. Throw it on a planner and done. The beetle kill pine make a beautiful pedestal. Also if possible if you can find them where they just strip the bark, hand sand and stain and that also looks great. I like the knots and inperfections. No matter what you use though it's easier than most think. Also you can build your own habitat just like you want. That's a lot of fun. Good luck

Those are very nice. Wonderful work.

Mike, what if you do the mount there "pedestal ready" and then have someone like Kanati who's in PA do the pedestal and habitat work.

Mike, what if you do the mount there "pedestal ready" and then have someone like Kanati who's in PA do the pedestal and habitat work.

That's really my question. Can I get the taxidermy done be pedestal ready and have them already in place for when I get my shipment.

That's really my question. Can I get the taxidermy done be pedestal ready and have them already in place for when I get my shipment.
I think you could. Give your taxidermist a call or call Wes at Kanati.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!