Barrel length in new bolt actions

The first is a Dakota Model 76 by Jim Brockman:

The other is a Seekins Havak:

There may be excellent reasons to have a longer than 22” barrel on a 300 WM hunting rifle, but the reliable harvesting of elk out to 500 yards, for instance, is not one of them. Having said that, my Blaser barrel is 25.5”, but the rifle’s OAL is 3” shorter due to its receiver design.

I'm open to compromising with OAL/LOA. I wouldn't necessarily mind a 26" barrel if I can deal with a reduced LOA. I'm not a very tall and/or lanky person. 5'10", muscular/average build.

I'm like you and honestly can't see the need for a barrel over 24".

At this point I'm sold on a CF stock. Whatever it is I want CF. No need to add additional weight when you don't need to.

I'm open to compromising with OAL/LOA. I wouldn't necessarily mind a 26" barrel if I can deal with a reduced LOA. I'm not a very tall and/or lanky person. 5'10", muscular/average build.

At this point I'm sold on a CF stock. Whatever it is I want CF. No need to add additional weight when you don't need to.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of anything. I will only suggest you try a light weight rig if possible. I rather carry a rifle that is 2#s heavier that I can shoot well vs something lightweight that I shoot so so. I'm OCD with my shooting so take what I'm saying with a gain of salt.

If it’s a 700 platform, look at the MDT HNT26 chassis. 26 oz chassis, incredible
Performance.

If you're looking at spending $2500 on a Christiansen, you're dangerously close to being able to build a custom. When I went on a .300WM quest late last year, I looked at the Ridgeline FFT. It had most of the specs I wanted, but I thought it was too light for a .300. I'm left-handed, so my factory options were fairly limited. As a result, I bit the bullet and went custom. I'm glad I did.

About $3k later, I have a Mesa Precision Summit in an AG Composites Carbon All-Terrain stock with a 22" Carbon Six Sendero barrel. It weighs right at 7 lbs bare and 9.25 lbs ready to hunt with a sling, TBAC Ultra 5, and Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 in Talley rings.

I chose the 22" barrel so it didn't get too long with a can on it. I don't own a chronograph, so I can't tell you what velocities I'm seeing, but I did find a website called "Ballistics By The Inch" that tested velocities of various chamberings while cutting the barrel back 1" at a time. .300WM didn't seem to lose too much steam at 22."

If you're right handed, your options would open up some in the custom world, just like they do in factory rifles. You could go a little cheaper than I did, or a little lighter. I will say that my Mesa blows my Christiansen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC out of the water in terms of build quality, smoothness, etc. My Defiance .308 is a little nicer action than the Mesa, but the price reflects that too.

I don't have much experience with titanium actions, but there's a reason for that. Every titanium action I've ever fondled seemed sticky compared to a decent steel action. They just weren't smooth. My .308 was built to be light weight, but I couldn't bring myself to go with a Ti action. Instead I chose a Defiance Rebel optioned out to be as light as possible. Their AnTi action would be a bit lighter, but I wanted a 3-position safety on that rifle, which wasn't offered on the AnTi. Based on my limited experience, I'd recommend one of the lightweight steel actions over Ti any day of the week.

Since I'm telling, I might as well show...

308 and 300.jpg

If you're looking at spending $2500 on a Christiansen, you're dangerously close to being able to build a custom. When I went on a .300WM quest late last year, I looked at the Ridgeline FFT. It had most of the specs I wanted, but I thought it was too light for a .300. I'm left-handed, so my factory options were fairly limited. As a result, I bit the bullet and went custom. I'm glad I did.

About $3k later, I have a Mesa Precision Summit in an AG Composites Carbon All-Terrain stock with a 22" Carbon Six Sendero barrel. It weighs right at 7 lbs bare and 9.25 lbs ready to hunt with a sling, TBAC Ultra 5, and Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 in Talley rings.

I chose the 22" barrel so it didn't get too long with a can on it. I don't own a chronograph, so I can't tell you what velocities I'm seeing, but I did find a website called "Ballistics By The Inch" that tested velocities of various chamberings while cutting the barrel back 1" at a time. .300WM didn't seem to lose too much steam at 22."

If you're right handed, your options would open up some in the custom world, just like they do in factory rifles. You could go a little cheaper than I did, or a little lighter. I will say that my Mesa blows my Christiansen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC out of the water in terms of build quality, smoothness, etc. My Defiance .308 is a little nicer action than the Mesa, but the price reflects that too.

I don't have much experience with titanium actions, but there's a reason for that. Every titanium action I've ever fondled seemed sticky compared to a decent steel action. They just weren't smooth. My .308 was built to be light weight, but I couldn't bring myself to go with a Ti action. Instead I chose a Defiance Rebel optioned out to be as light as possible. Their AnTi action would be a bit lighter, but I wanted a 3-position safety on that rifle, which wasn't offered on the AnTi. Based on my limited experience, I'd recommend one of the lightweight steel actions over Ti any day of the week.

View attachment 538904

I agree 100%
I’m also glad I went custom instead of a Christiansen, might as well spend the extra to make it your own build & your specs. My build, the rifle only came out to about $3350 plus shipping. It’s a 300WSM Tikka based action with AG CF stock, custom billet bottom metal, custom bolt & shroud w/ a CF 20” barrel designed for a diligent defense titanium suppressor. I’m just weeks away from receiving the rifle, the stock is what is taking the longest. (11 weeks now, was guaranteed by 16 weeks but told 12-14 is average, depending on the lead time for the stock)
I know a few who own 22” 300 WM, they have not had any problems or regrets. I sold my NIB 300 WM Browning SR 22” and deciding to go the WSM route for a shorter & lighter set up without sacrificing too much velocity as well as reducing the overall length considering the 6.75” suppressor. I also have a 2nd build with the WSM, same company, just in 6.5 PRC w/ 22” barrel. In conclusion, it’s my experience that when I went custom, factory guns just don’t cut it anymore for my taste & fit. Good luck.

I have no direct experience with christensen arms but I have friends that have had terrible experiences with qc, accuracy and customer service. Id just be wary of them and make sure you do thorough research before you buy one. $2500 aint cheap

View attachment 538904

Totally agree. I had TS Customs spin a 24” fluted match barrel on an Impact Precision lightweight steel action and fit a trigger tech trigger. This, fitted to an MDT HNT26 chassis and topped with a MK5 scope is the most accurate rifle I’ve ever worked with.

I purposely built my Enfield .375 Weatherby with a 30" Douglas barrel. I like them long. I get 2889 ft/s with a 300gr with it, nearly the same as a .378 Roy. It hits harder than a .458 Winchester.

I've crawled through the tangles with a 42" barreled flint lock that I built also from scratch. My Enfield .458 Lott that I'm building now has a 26" McGowen barrel.

On edit, I've got way more than $2500 in this thing. But it was a labor of love and spread out over nearly ten years and three gunsmiths, plus my buddy and his Bridgeport mill. I did as much as I could myself, then farmed it out to the professional 'smiths. Hopefully the Lott doesn't take that long... This rifle has an A-Square stock with a 16 ounce mercury recoil reducer. I only shoot it from the standing position, but it's surprisingly well mannered. The Hannibal stock really does cut the felt recoil in half. This kicks less than my .338 BDL, and has a lot more power. As far as accuracy goes, I'm not really sure. Douglas said their .375 barrels are usually tack drivers. From a "stand up bench" (4 wheeler with a giant rubbermaid box on the back) I can hit a 1" rock at 80 yards about every time. So it's not too bad. Haven't actually had it on a real bench. But I can shoot it good enough to hit a dagga boy :)

To each their own. It's whatever you like :)

375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 300 mag under six pounds is liable to fly out of your hands. I simply can't imagine the recoil.

Also, light guns point like crap, especially shooting at moving targets. Sure, everyone expects they'll shoot everything over there off the sticks or bipod. First, even on the sticks a heavier gun settles down better, especially if it's windy. Second, you never know when a shot will go haywire and you're stuck with cleaning up a wounded animal. It happens to the best of us. Yes, it's even happened to me. Don't expect to be shooting off the sticks then. Maybe, but don't expect it. Something with a featherweight barrel is not going to swing onto a moving cripple as well as a heavier balanced rifle.

My WWII Springfield with 24" barrel weighs 9 lbs and I'm 70+ years old. I don't have a problem hauling it up Montana mountains or through Africa acacia thickets. And I'm deadly with it offhand whether the target is standing or moving. Some say I shoot better at moving targets ... because that gun has some weight ... in the right places. It is balanced and fits me perfectly.

I hunt Montana pheasants all day almost every day every fall carrying the heaviest field twelve gauge ever made: 1961 Browning A5 Magnum Twelve with 31" barrel. I shoot it by choice for reduced recoil (bad retinas) and swing factor.

Anyway, the point being for those considering changing to a lightweight hunting rifle, keep in mind the drawbacks (plural) may outweigh the benifit (singular). I submit that any average age hunter of average physical proportions can handle stalking with an eight pound rifle, especially in Africa. Clients rarely carry a pack and if they do, usually nothing but an extra clothing layer or rain gear inside it. Africa is the lightest weight hunting experience I've ever experienced. Sometimes the acacia brush can be thick but I would never have the gun on my shoulder in those situations anyway no matter what length the barrel. In those situations a better balanced gun is just as important, if not more important, than light weight.

Besides being poorly balanced, a stubby barrel magnum rifle has other obvious disadvantages. Recoil, retort, and muzzle jump are downright unbearable. Go ahead and throw a can on it ... and portability just went out the window.

I have no direct experience with christensen arms but I have friends that have had terrible experiences with qc, accuracy and customer service. Id just be wary of them and make sure you do thorough research before you buy one. $2500 aint cheap
My father in law and brother in law both bought Christensen rifles. Father in law’s shoots great. Brother in law’s won’t shoot an MOA group without letting the barrel cool for a significant period of time between shots. I think they’re both Mesas

I agree 100%
I’m also glad I went custom instead of a Christiansen, might as well spend the extra to make it your own build & your specs. My build, the rifle only came out to about $3350 plus shipping. It’s a 300WSM Tikka based action with AG CF stock, custom billet bottom metal, custom bolt & shroud w/ a CF 20” barrel designed for a diligent defense titanium suppressor. I’m just weeks away from receiving the rifle, the stock is what is taking the longest. (11 weeks now, was guaranteed by 16 weeks but told 12-14 is average, depending on the lead time for the stock)
I know a few who own 22” 300 WM, they have not had any problems or regrets. I sold my NIB 300 WM Browning SR 22” and deciding to go the WSM route for a shorter & lighter set up without sacrificing too much velocity as well as reducing the overall length considering the 6.75” suppressor. I also have a 2nd build with the WSM, same company, just in 6.5 PRC w/ 22” barrel. In conclusion, it’s my experience that when I went custom, factory guns just don’t cut it anymore for my taste & fit. Good luck.
Sounds like it will be a really nice rifle! I suspect you'll be happy with the AG stock; I definitely am. I'd prefer that the forearm were a bit longer and more rounded, but that's a minor quibble. Mine showed up when they said it would and quality is top-notch. Which model did you order?

I actually went the exact opposite direction you did on chambering. I started with an X-Bolt in .300 WSM but moved to the custom .300 WM. The X-Bolt was just too pretty to butcher by threading the barrel, plus it was too thin, so I'd have needed a thread adapter too. Ammunition availability off the beaten path and ability to shoot heavier bullets were also considerations.

I may have come off a little too harsh on the 6.5 PRC Christiansen Ridgeline. There's nothing wrong with mine. It's easily sub-MOA with both 143 grain Hornady and 140 grain Fusions. It just doesn't stack up well when compared to the Mesa Summit or the Defiance in terms of fit and finish. I can easily see it being replaced by another custom build in the future just because I spoiled myself with the two customs I have.

Sounds like it will be a really nice rifle! I suspect you'll be happy with the AG stock; I definitely am. I'd prefer that the forearm were a bit longer and more rounded, but that's a minor quibble. Mine showed up when they said it would and quality is top-notch. Which model did you order?

I actually went the exact opposite direction you did on chambering. I started with an X-Bolt in .300 WSM but moved to the custom .300 WM. The X-Bolt was just too pretty to butcher by threading the barrel, plus it was too thin, so I'd have needed a thread adapter too. Ammunition availability off the beaten path and ability to shoot heavier bullets were also considerations.

I may have come off a little too harsh on the 6.5 PRC Christiansen Ridgeline. There's nothing wrong with mine. It's easily sub-MOA with both 143 grain Hornady and 140 grain Fusions. It just doesn't stack up well when compared to the Mesa Summit or the Defiance in terms of fit and finish. I can easily see it being replaced by another custom build in the future just because I spoiled myself with the two customs I have.

From AG stocks, I ordered the privateer, as I prefer the traditional fit.

As for Browning, I’m a lifelong fan of their products and rifles. I have had their Cynergy shotguns, A-Bolts & X-Bolts. Briley in Houston, love those people…they do their magic on my shotguns, perfection. However, my former gunsmith has gone AWOL, he perfected my stock browning rifles that shot as good or better than some customs. The one thing I don’t like about X-Bolts is their triggers, if you put in an aftermarket it will eliminate the mechanism that allows you remove a round while on safety…that started the whole tikka game for me. That’s another thing that spoiled me, the seduction of awesome triggers set perfectly to my liking. I like how I can order the triggers pre-set from the factory to the weights preferred.

Back to the OP…my reloading buddy & I intend to make up for the shorter barrel with custom hand loads…that the idea anyway.

@ Ontario…you’re hilarious, I enjoy everything your post! I’m sure going to learn a thing or 2 from you…already have! You also remind me of an old hunting buddy of mine.

Christensen makes a fine rifle. My 7 RM is super accurate and is very easy to carry all day. You could spend more on a custom but either way you will have a fine shooting rifle.

My own personal thinking is that if would want to have a short-barreled rifle, I'd get a 308, 358win, 9.3x62 or 45-70 or similar.
I have taken my Kimber, Mountain Ascent, .308 to Africa many times, with a 22" barrel, gun weight is 4lbs 13 oz, mine with a scope is 5lbs 14oz. I'm lazy, if I am walking hours a day, give me the lightest rifle I can get. As to barrel length, here on the east coast, I would guess 75% of all shots taken at deer, bear and hogs are under 200 yards, therefore, barrel length really isn't a biggie.

I agree 100%

Have you used your Diligent Defense suppressor? Have been looking at them, just have not met anyone that has used them.

Have you used your Diligent Defense suppressor? Have been looking at them, just have not met anyone that has used them.
No, not yet. I’ve paid for 2 of them, the BATF paperwork has been filed & the suppressors are in “jail” until the tax stamps are approved. It’s been 3 months now, they say anywhere from 6 to 9 months on average, but sometimes up to 18 months. I did a lot of research, talked to several people who have them. I think Diligent is the best for the money overall & one of the quieter cans out there considering it’s 6.75” length. Check out YouTube & Pew Science for a ton of information. I hope to start using them sometime this fall & will post a new thread on the results.

No, not yet. I’ve paid for 2 of them, the BATF paperwork has been filed & the suppressors are in “jail” until the tax stamps are approved. It’s been 3 months now, they say anywhere from 6 to 9 months on average, but sometimes up to 18 months. I did a lot of research, talked to several people who have them. I think Diligent is the best for the money overall & one of the quieter cans out there considering it’s 6.75” length. Check out YouTube & Pew Science for a ton of information. I hope to start using them sometime this fall & will post a new thread on the results.

Thanks, yes I have read the info Jay has put out on them. The number look very good for the dollars spent. I have KGM R30K and a TBAC Dominus in that size range. I just need to order the Diligent and be done with it. The last set of cans approved for myself were a batch approval. 1@278 days, 1@263 days, 4@54 days (I might be a few days off one way or the other it has been several weeks). From what I have seen, looks like they are averaging a month longer if they are filed on a trust.

Didn't forget about the thread, guys. Tons of really good info here to digest. I am considering building something now that a few people mentioned it. Seems like that might be the way to go to have the rifle fit me perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.