Barrel break in

If breaking in a rifle is fun for you and makes you feel good, do it. As for me, I clean the bore before shooting a new barrel, then clean it after zeroing. Maybe three shot, maybe 12. I don't get too hung up, and have plenty of rifles of many uses I trust to keep a two inch or better group past 100 yards.
 
I'm one of those suckers that generally follows the break-in procedures. It's my OCD. I can't help it. I'm not sure if it works or not. I do believe it makes subsequent cleanings a bit easier.

I also can't put away a rifle with a dirty barrel. Again the OCD. After a range session or after the end of the season, I thoroughly clean the barrel, run a patch of oil down the barrel, then a clean patch then put it away. I also wipe all the metal down with a very light coat of oil and then wipe it down with a clean rag - similar to what @bruce moulds mentioned.

I will say that @Vanguard2279 introduced me to Wipe-out and I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. That stuff is magic on copper and powder fouling. Cut my cleaning time significantly and leaves the bore shiny as new. But I still run an oiled patch afterwards and then a dry one before the rifle gets put away.

I told you that life would never be the same afterwards.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,802
Members
169,416
Latest member
wanda_tiller
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top