Barnes "X" bullets?

Could be. I’m not sure the TSX is 100% lathe turned. They have the appearance of being at least partially swaged and tumbled. Could be a proprietary process?… but I don’t know.


This is Barnes promotional video showing some of the manufacturing and testing of the X bullets. You can see the bands or grooves cut into the bullets at about the 20 second mark.
 
Last edited:
If I could find the bullets, I would buy them. Component availability is not what it was six years ago.

Not asking Barnes to swap. If they are set up to swage the rings in TSX bullets, perhaps they can just run these through the dies. Guess I could ask.
Midway has .423” 400 grain TSX in stock:


In Canada, Prophet River has them in stock:


Swapping dies on the machines they use is a major effort and not a realistic request for a small run.

Jump to the 8:00 minute mark:

 

Attachments

Last edited:
Back to your first post.

I shot factor X bullets out of my .340 Weatherby mag and developed a load using them when I started to load with them.

I switched over to the TTSX bullets with the same grain weight, and used the exact same load for the TTSX as I did for the X bullets with no extra pressure signs or problems. The new TTSX shot just as good as the X bullets did with the same load.

As for sending them to Barnes, how much do you want to spend? You would be just as well off finding someone with a lathe and having them cut a ring into them. I highly doubt that Barnes would even think about doing this for you even at a high cost to you.

I'd either shoot them as they are or try to find another bullet for your loads.
 
Back to your first post.

I shot factor X bullets out of my .340 Weatherby mag and developed a load using them when I started to load with them.

I switched over to the TTSX bullets with the same grain weight, and used the exact same load for the TTSX as I did for the X bullets with no extra pressure signs or problems. The new TTSX shot just as good as the X bullets did with the same load.

As for sending them to Barnes, how much do you want to spend? You would be just as well off finding someone with a lathe and having them cut a ring into them. I highly doubt that Barnes would even think about doing this for you even at a high cost to you.

I'd either shoot them as they are or try to find another bullet for your loads.
I'd like to talk to them about these bullets anyway. I'm sure they will have suggestions.
 
Midway has .423” 400 grain TSX in stock:


In Canada, Prophet River has them in stock:


Swapping dies on the machines they use is a major effort and not a realistic request for a small run.

Jump to the 8:00 minute mark:

Potterfield won't sell anything to me because I'm Canadian, even though I have a US bank account, US credit card, and US address. Screw Midway. I will see what Prophet River has on the shelf. Thanks. Must be a new shipment. Not in a big hurry as magnum primers are the bigger problem now.
 
If I could find the bullets, I would buy them. Component availability is not what it was six years ago.

Not asking Barnes to swap. If they are set up to swage the rings in TSX bullets, perhaps they can just run these through the dies. Guess I could ask.
Natchez Shooters Supply has them. I think this is what you are looking for.

 
I have experience with the original Barns X bullet in the .375 H&H both the 270gr & the 300gr. Accuracy was good, penetration fantastic, load data the same as Hornaday 270 & 300gr bullets. I tested them in rolled up rubber matting, they penetrated 9” in rolled up rubber, & shed all their petals, recovered bullet looked like a solid. Shot an elk at 200yds trotting away quartering away with the 270gr X. Bullet entered just behind the last rib & exited just behind the off shoulder. The elk went 30 yds & piled up in the timber. The exit hole was 1-1/2”.
They did copper plate the bore heavily, & that is why I quit using them, but they did perform very well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,168
Members
169,503
Latest member
MarcCockle
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top