Barnes TSX Question

A long shot with a 30-30:

Apple orchard - Check

Front porch - Check

F-150 with gas for Tony's Fresh Cuts - Check

64 years experience - Priceless
1700458571750.png
 

Attachments

  • 1700458300905.png
    1700458300905.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 102
My oldest son is quickly approaching the age that I hope to bring him white tail hunting soon. For nostalgia and recoil purposes, I'm leaning very heavily towards using his late grandpa's old 30-30 Marlin. I too started my hunting career with a 30-30, so it just seems fitting.

In my own hunting endeavors, I hunt almost exclusively with TTSX bullets. I also only shoot magnum cartridges, primarily weatherby. Everything I've always heard and read are that TSX bullets are GREAT if you have the velocity for them to expand properly. So they've always worked great for me.

I've looked at the Barnes Vor-TX 150 grain 30-30 ammo with the TSX FN FB bullets. A 30-30 was never known for lighting the world on fire with speed. Muzzle velocity is only 2,335 fps, and quickly drops to 1,905 fps at 100 yds, and 1,532 fps at 200 yds. Energy is similarly 1,816, 1,209 and 782 ftlbs at muzzle, 100, and 200 yds.

I would think longest shot he'd take is 150 yds, and a much higher likelihood something inside 75 yds.

But those seem like troubling ballistics for everything I've been told for TSX bullets. Anyone have any experience with this ammo in a 30-30?
Hornady LeveRevolution with the 160gr FTX is the cat's meow in the 30-30 if you need factory ammo. Also available for reloading, as is their LeveRevolution powder. Makes a noticeable difference in the velocities the old 30-30 will produce. The FTX bullet is specifically designed for the lever actions and their lower velocities.
 
My oldest son is quickly approaching the age that I hope to bring him white tail hunting soon. For nostalgia and recoil purposes, I'm leaning very heavily towards using his late grandpa's old 30-30 Marlin. I too started my hunting career with a 30-30, so it just seems fitting.

In my own hunting endeavors, I hunt almost exclusively with TTSX bullets. I also only shoot magnum cartridges, primarily weatherby. Everything I've always heard and read are that TSX bullets are GREAT if you have the velocity for them to expand properly. So they've always worked great for me.

I've looked at the Barnes Vor-TX 150 grain 30-30 ammo with the TSX FN FB bullets. A 30-30 was never known for lighting the world on fire with speed. Muzzle velocity is only 2,335 fps, and quickly drops to 1,905 fps at 100 yds, and 1,532 fps at 200 yds. Energy is similarly 1,816, 1,209 and 782 ftlbs at muzzle, 100, and 200 yds.

I would think longest shot he'd take is 150 yds, and a much higher likelihood something inside 75 yds.

But those seem like troubling ballistics for everything I've been told for TSX bullets. Anyone have any experience with this ammo in a 30-30?
Nonsense. It will work fine. Go shoot some deer!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,099
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top