Back country carry gun

I’ve been eyeing one of those Kenai chest rigs. If I was in the backcountry more, that’s what I’d have. It would be nice for working on my friends farm too.
When in woods or salmon fishing, a P220 in 10mm or my FK BRNO is in a Kenai. Great stuff. I'm sure a 629 would be a good fit too.

THIS is what you want to stop any Bruin with a pissed off attitude

1712606301760.png

Yep it Big and Yep its heavy and Yep it only has two shots BUT those shots are STOPPERS

1712606713344.png

This would work

1712606841611.png

Or this too
1712606642696.png

This too I suppose

Todd's story convinced me that the PH practice of having a rifle in hand at all times is probably the best. Having a handgun also makes sense, but it is still taking a handgun to a bear fight...

id hate to have to shoot a bear with a handgun. they can cover 100 yards in 6 seconds. hitting a moving target which might be coming to chew on me isnt something i ever want to find out. that being said, i carry a ruger 44mag wheel gun when im hunting and have my 416 or 338.

Gee, I didn't expect it to give rise to a warning...

When I'm hunting I usually leave my heavy handgun in camp. It's for under my (jeans) pillow, and carry a .22 in case I need to fire signal shots. I figure if my .338 won't do it, my pistol probly won't.
When I'm fishing, I have my .475 (maybe .44) in my armpit.

What about this one:

1712607297819.png

Might fit in one of those James Cann holsters.

1712607435661.jpeg

Best of both worlds...

1712608131582.png

Would a 9mm do this?

1712608803056.png

44magnum next to .577 Snider (the 9mm is hiding because it pissed its pants)

THIS is what you want to stop any Bruin with a pissed off attitude

View attachment 598155

Yep it Big and Yep its heavy and Yep it only has two shots BUT those shots are STOPPERS
This would be a stopper but if something was going to chew on me I’d probably turn all thumbs and never get it cocked.

Im guessing you guys have probably heard enough of my opinions on this matter; but they arent just my opinions. The idea of a LARGE bore gun for defense against isnt new BUT it isnt out dated either. Heres an modern article about a Howdah for Bruin defense complete with a holster to carry it. Im not sure I agree with the shot loads for defense. Personally ID want TWO round balls or conicals if the barrels were rifled; but at arms length distance rifiling is hardly necessary
1712612320080.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a stopper but if something was going to chew on me I’d probably turn all thumbs and never get it cocked.
Hahaha all thumbs hummm? Well they do make hammerless versions, do you think you could flick the safety off?

No safety on my Glock 10mm, but I would rather rely on my .416 or .375.
Dont tell Glock there isnt a safety.... Rifles are fine IF you have them in your hand waaaay before the charge. Conversely a rifle is a bit long when the threat is at arms length

Dont tell Glock there isnt a safety.... Rifles are fine IF you have them in your hand waaaay before the charge. Conversely a rifle is a bit long when the threat is at arms length
So exactly where is the safety on my Glock? If I can stop a pissed off cow elephant with a rifle at 6 yards why not a bear. But I do get the point if fishing or hiking in bear territory.

So exactly where is the safety on my Glock? If I can stop a pissed off cow elephant with a rifle at 6 yards why not a bear. But I do get the point if fishing or hiking in bear territory.
Not sure if you are joking; but here goes in case you really dont know. Glock calls it a SAFE ACTION Pistol for a reason. There are internal safeties which prevent the gun firing if dropped; but the most obvious safety is the trigger. The gun can not fire unless the trigger is deliberately pulled. If you look close. when the "toggle" is pressed (the little lever in front of the actual trigger), it rotates out of the way, allowing the trigger to be pulled to fire the gun. Without the "toggle" being depressed the trigger can not cycle far enough to fire the gun.... And if you are still confused you were born with the Primary safety. Its located next to you thumb and is connected (OR NOT) to your brain. Ultimately dont pull the trigger and the gun wont fire.

As for stopping a pissed off anything with your rifle, WELL DONE; but Im guessing you were ready with your rifle in hand and probably shouldered. I think what is being discussed here, is when youre NOT ready with your rifle.

Fishing is something I did with my dad so hed take me hunting. He always said after WW2 and Korea, he shot enough things. He really enjoyed fishing, about as much as I hated it. So we kinda came to an arrangement, hed hunt with me as long as I fished with him. Besides you can get a fish sandwich at McDonalds and they put cheese on it....

One of my best hunting memories was us two, leaning against a tree with me sharpening (read that dulling) a knife and just talking at normal volume. After awhile I asked why we hadnt seen any deer. Dad just said "I wonder too?" That was 50 plus years ago and the memory is still vivid.

Last edited:
Great story about your dad! I was thinking you were talking of a conventional safety on my Glock 20.

Well Glock does call it a conventional safety; buy I get your point. If you look at the current crop of handguns, youll find the "toggle" is almost an industry standard these days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HugoCharbo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.