Back country carry gun

You DO realize that Pedersoli is making one in .45-70, proabaly based on their Kodiak action, stock looks very like the old Ithaca Auto and Burglar gun.
Man, one of THOSE in 16 ga would be sweet!

Im pretty sure they arent making a 45-70 version. They DO make a flintlock and percussion in 20 ga and 58 calibers. They also make a couple 45Colt/410 versions; but I havent heard of a 45-70 yet???

Bond Arms makes a 45-70 Derringer. They call it the Cyclops. I think its more of a gimmick/niche gun. Its only a single shot and the barrel is too short. A double with say an 8 inch barrel would be heavier to mitigate some recoil and give a follow up shot

As for the Pedersolis Im not particularly thrilled with the saw handle grip, although there were some original Howdahs with similar grips. Im pretty sure they are based on a SxS shotgun action rather than the Pedersoli 45-70 Double Rifle. Im not sure how much pressure they can handle. Ive wondered about a HOT loaded round in a 3 inch BRASS 410 shell; but I doubt that it would be as hot as a 45-70 Cowboy load. I have thought about re-chambering the 45Colt/410 to 454 Casull.

Original Ithaca Auto and Burglar guns in 20ga would be a working option if loaded with slugs. Id prefer a O/U design for easier carry.

I have an original muzzleloading Howdah, as well as a couple of the Pedersoli percussion guns. One I chopped to 8 inches for easier holster carry. The Pedersoli "Alaskan" model 45/410 has a more "traditional" grip shape and it has a nickel finish with a rubber coat on the wood--if only it were in a better cartridge.

Last edited:
G19 or SW Shield in 9mm but with +P hard cast loads...is what I use in a cheap Amazon Kydex holster modded for my pack belt...or a pants belt. I've got hundreds of miles with mine and I hardly know its there. I use a G20 SF when in Grizz country.

I'm considering a Ruger Alaskan vs S&W 69 - both in .44 Magnum. The Ruger is about $200 more - do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm in AZ, but I do find myself hiking in Montana usually once each summer.
I have a Smith 69, I really like it and carry it in Montana back country. 240grain slugs is what I use. I also carry bear spray. I see benefits to both.

American Gun Craft makes a SxS 12ga muzzleloader. Its a Break Open InLine design and uses 209 primers. They are available in 6, 8, and 11 inch barrels. Its NOT my idea of a perfect "anything" but its an interesting concept.

The grip is more "gangsta" than easily drawn from a holster, although some folks like it from a crossdraw position. It has a single hammer with a switch/lever to choose the R or L barrel. Two hammers / triggers would be better as well as an O/U design

Last edited:
G19 or SW Shield in 9mm but with +P hard cast loads...is what I use in a cheap Amazon Kydex holster modded for my pack belt...or a pants belt. I've got hundreds of miles with mine and I hardly know its there. I use a G20 SF when in Grizz country.
I typically carry a G17 on the street; but even a 10mm isnt what Id choose first for a STOPPING gun. I get the familiarity of using a gun you use every day and I get the power of 10mm, and YES a 9mm or 10mm head shot will stop most anything; I just dont see the advantage of a High Capacity at arms length, because THATs where you STOP a charge

Your mileage may vary

Ah, I stand (sit) corrected.
Easy mistake, when I first looked it up, I thought I saw 45/70 on the top one and 45/.410 on the bottom. Scrolled back up and realized they were both .45/.410. Eyes sometimes see what you want them to!

I like my 629 Mountain Gun with thumb snap holster.

I like my .475 Linebaugh, but I'm not proselytizing.

I typically carry a G17 on the street; but even a 10mm isnt what Id choose first for a STOPPING gun. I get the familiarity of using a gun you use every day and I get the power of 10mm, and YES a 9mm or 10mm head shot will stop most anything; I just dont see the advantage of a High Capacity at arms length, because THATs where you STOP a charge

Your mileage may vary
What is your pick for a stopping gun?

Ideally Id pick a modern double barrel (O/U prefered) Howdah in 45-70 or larger, something with say 8 inch barrels. For now that doesnt exist yet.. (I working on something). Since its currently vaporware; if I was forced to pick something in my safe, Id opt for a 4" Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. If funds were available I might choose the S&W 500 with a 4" barrel.

Im not convinced more than two shots are necessary or preferred. Ive been charged three times. Once by a Black Bear that I was stalking and twice by Wild Boars. I suppose I could have shot each of them from a greater distance but I chose to get closer, for the thrill of the hunt. For the Bear I was only carrying a rifle (30-06 Mauser Straight Pull), since Canada didnt like the idea of me bringing a handgun. The first Wild Boar dressed out at 300lbs. My buddy had wounded him with an arrow and he chose me to charge. My weapon was a T/C Contender with a 14" barrel in 44Mag loaded with Black Talons. I remember thinking Black Talons were so great in cop guns, as it turned out I found out earlier in the hunt that I would have been better using lead solids. When the Boar got to about 6 feet I fired and it hit him like the Hand of God. The second was when I went to check bait and a Boar came in fast. Im not sure that one counts as a charge but I was between him and the bait. I had left my rifle in the blind (of course right?), so I was only carrying my FA 454. Again I shot when it was about 6 feet away. This one was only about 150lbs but the 454 went from left shoulder and exited the right ham. I actually count it as a bad shot, since I was aiming for his head. Im not sure if it was all me of if he started to turn when I hit him--either way that was some great tasting pork. We celebrated that night with Schnapps around a fire.

A note on BEAR spray; Ive never used spray on a bear; but I did have an occasion to use pepper spray on a Rottweiler, I wasnt impressed. While it did make him turn, Im not convinced it was the pepper as much as the fog. OTOH I did TAZE a Pit Bull on a search warrant. It was a text book TAZE. The dog flopped SH*T and took off to parts unknown. If I were forced to go unarmed in Bear country Id opt for a TASER (not a stun gun).

Can’t go wrong with a Glock or Sig in 9mm (since you don’t have to worry about griz). Multiple sizes and ammo capacities to choose from. Both are very reliable brands. Go sort through some at a gun shop and shoot a few different models if you can.

You guys with your 9mms for bears. You ever butcher a black bear? You ever see the musculature in the front half of the body?
You do you, but 10mm is the MINIMUM I want to guard MY fat little buttski.

I live in Wyoming where we have high numbers of grizzlies in certain parts of the state. I also hunt, camp and recreate in those areas and while there I carry a Glock 29 with an extended mag and it rides in a Kenai chest holster. I load it with Underwood extreme performance ammunition.
It works great for me and is light enough combined with being in a very comfortable chest holder that I can carry all day without being weighed down.
I just hope I never have to pull it on a grizzly bearing down on me!

I live in Wyoming where we have high numbers of grizzlies in certain parts of the state. I also hunt, camp and recreate in those areas and while there I carry a Glock 29 with an extended mag and it rides in a Kenai chest holster. I load it with Underwood extreme performance ammunition.
It works great for me and is light enough combined with being in a very comfortable chest holder that I can carry all day without being weighed down.
I just hope I never have to pull it on a grizzly bearing down on me!
I’ve been eyeing one of those Kenai chest rigs. If I was in the backcountry more, that’s what I’d have. It would be nice for working on my friends farm too.

Use whatever works for you; but Id never carry a 9 or 10mm and rely on multiple hits being the saving factor. Thats the old spray and pray theory, thinking if you can dump enough rounds one may actually hit the "light switch". In order to fire all those rounds you need time and time equals distance. Try explaining distance to a Game Warden....And when your mag is empty and you rounds failed to stop the charge, do you have enough time for a mag change?

Guys I carry a G17 on the street with at least one spare mag because I expect multiple attackers and because two legged animals dont require as much penetration, when they arent wearing armor. Even so I only practice head shots anymore. Head shots end fights. On TWO legged animals I anticipate body armor and bombs vests.

You guys use what you believe works for you. Worry about picking something lightweight or low recoil if you you think thats necessary. As for me, I want Thor's Hammer and Ill hump the weight if I access the threat requires it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob