B. Searcy 500/416 NE

Shame

Searcy sent me an email yesterday saying the gun was shipped out. I expect it in the next day or so.

I tried to ask him if he was still expecting the $850 for the repairs but he didn't respond to the question. i get the feeling he might be letting it go. if that's the case then i will not be holding the raffle and instead will simply be putting the rifle up for sale in the classifieds section of the forum.

-matt

so I got the rifle back last week but didn't have a chance to look at it till last night. sadly im pretty disappointed with the repairs. his repair for the issue was to cut the barrels back at the chamber and reset them against the breech face. shortening the barrels has caused the rifle to not work quite right. there is a gap between the wood and steel on the forgrip and the gun doesn't open very well (feels like its binding). also, the ejectors are having problems... the left ejector is weak and the right ejector outright doesn't work any more.

I will be emailing Searcy about these issues today but to be honest im afraid to send it back to him.

-matt

@matt85 you have the worst luck with rifles. Sorry to hear that the problems are worse.

I know its never good to just jump to conclusions, but this timeline of events is almost comical now. I've always thought of Searcy to be a higher standard. Its a shame its come to this.

I'm going to load up some cartridges and at least check the regulation this weekend. Searcy said that the gun should regulate well with 400gr A-frames over 75gr of RL 15.

if the rifle shoots well, I may try to find another gunsmith to fix the action so the rifle works properly.

-matt

Oh man, that's though to swallow. On the other hand I love my sabatti more and more after reading this. I had the wood refinished, looks amazing. Still no issues, going strong. Only problem was it shoots peregrine bullets the best and these are hard to come by in the USA. The supplier finally got some but they are not cheap. Good luck Matt, I can't say what I would do in your position. Might be best to keep it if it shoots well. Best of luck.

(n)

the recommended load by Searcy (75gr of RL-15 under a 400gr A-frame) felt light and didnt even come close to regulating. this means i have no idea what this gun is regulated for... assuming its even regulated any more. i tried some of the old loads that came close to regulating before i sent the rifle back and those no longer regulate at all. to make matters worse i can confirm the ejectors no longer work, at best they have been reduced to extractors.

im not even really sure what to do now...

-matt

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Sorry to hear - damn awful feeling when you don't want to take the rifle to the range let alone out of the safe.
How far out is far out ?

I sent an email to JJ Perodeau earlier asking if he would work on the rifle but sadly he responded moments ago saying he would not work on Searcy rifles.

any one have another gunsmith they recommend?

-matt

I sent an email to JJ Perodeau earlier asking if he would work on the rifle but sadly he responded moments ago saying he would not work on Searcy rifles.

any one have another gunsmith they recommend?

-matt
Thats odd...
Dont suppose he gave a reason?

Thats odd...
Dont suppose he gave a reason?

here is his response:

Matt
I'm sorry to say , but I will not work
On the Searcy . I never did on any of them , fearing that Butch problems would become mine ....
Regards
JJ

---------------------------------

A M Little Bespoke Gunmaker I think he is the guy that did Buckstix 700NE

thank you, i found their phone number online and will give them a call.

-matt

That doesnt sound good at all!
Hope you come right.

Hey man, just want to extend my condolences… It's such a pity, I do apologise for your experiences and I hope that, in the end, everything comes right by one means or another.

This has certainly made me decide to not even consider a Searcy rifle. Still saving my pennies for a Merkel or good used rifle.

Matt is the only one I know who's had issues with Searcy. I haven't had any issues with mine whatsoever, although barely shot it. I guess you can get a lemon in anything. Hope Matt gets it sorted out. There either built right or not that's for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg