Australia wins hands Down!

One slight correction, Vegemite is o the vegetable extract it is Yeast extract. I’m not sure how hat came to be or who thought of it.
We grew up with it so I think it’s just an acquired taste American foods differ somewhat to ours allegedly your foods have more sugar. McDonalds rolls are sweet in comparison to a bread roll is one comparison.
Vegemite is not “Iconic “ in Australia, it’s just something you put on toast every household has a jar. It’s a simple basic to us. It goes a long way and is nice on fresh bread with real butter.
I saw it for sale at an airport motel alongside Arnotts Yo-Yo biscuits
I’ve only flown international once and I asked for a beer, they offered me a Fosters. I didn’t know we still made it and I’m not sure why it was ever our “Export” beer the world must have some misconceptions about us. Funnily the same brewers do some good beer but I don’t recommend VB either (Victoria Bitter)
@Dr Ray Sorry for the correction ( I have Sako envy) . I think Promite May be made from vegetable extract. It’s also black a little thinner consistency and sweeter.
Those who are wishing to try the Vegemite diet. Use only as prescribed by the Dr increasing the dose as your tolerance grows.
It is good stuff.
CBH
Chris you are a heathen malcontent. How can you degrade VB my son.
We all know VB stands for very best. You must be getting confused with that muck in a green can from South Australia called Southwark. Now that stuff is truly foul.
If you haven't got Bundy go for the next best VB.
CHEERS Chris
Bob

CBH
Chris you are a heathen malcontent. How can you degrade VB my son.
We all know VB stands for very best. You must be getting confused with that muck in a green can from South Australia called Southwark. Now that stuff is truly foul.
If you haven't got Bundy go for the next best VB.
CHEERS Chris
Bob
Fairly sure it stands for vomit bomb

Bob, I will leave the VB for you. It inflicts a very bad headache with just a mild dose.
Being close to Adelaide’s we always had predominately South Australia beers . Particularly on tap. Times have changed.
I drank mostly Southwark when I became of age I lean toward Carlton Draught now and mix it up with Coopers for beer.

Bob, I will leave the VB for you. It inflicts a very bad headache with just a mild dose.
Being close to Adelaide’s we always had predominately South Australia beers . Particularly on tap. Times have changed.
I drank mostly Southwark when I became of age I lean toward Carlton Draught now and mix it up with Coopers for beer.
CBH
Chris that explains why you have such taste .
Now days I prefer Bundy or xxxxgold. Weather depending cold =Bundy, Heat = XXXX Gold.
Cheers mate.
Bob.
Tunatoy sounds like one of them crow eaters from port Lincoln.

Well maybe you could use the xxxx to swill the taste of square bear out of your mouth before trying something good. Seriously though had a bit to much Bundy 28 years ago, even the smell still makes me ill

IMG_20200301_230610.jpg

Ah , the Australian Kangaroo . 1 of the very few game species which I have had the privilege of shooting outside India or Bangladesh .
I took this specimen in 1977 in New South Wales , thanks to the kind generosity of a very close friend ( and former client ) who was a local resident there . He was taken at night , over torch light . I used my Belgian shot gun , loaded with an Eley 2.75 inch Alphamax triple A cartridge ( which held 44 pellets to the cartridge ) . 44 pellets of English triple A to the head of a kangaroo at close range , folded him nicely . Among non dangerous game , I consider him to be 1 of my most prized trophies and I consider myself exceptionally fortunate to have been able to shoot that Kangaroo and bring his pelt back home .
When I re visited Australia in 2016 , I learnt that over the last 43 years , the regulations in Australia for shooting Kangaroos has changed vastly ( in the sense that the laws have become far more restrictive ) . For the most part , I believe that the use of shot guns is prohibited now , for hunting Kangaroos .

View attachment 333220
Ah , the Australian Kangaroo . 1 of the very few game species which I have had the privilege of shooting outside India or Bangladesh .
I took this specimen in 1977 in New South Wales , thanks to the kind generosity of a very close friend ( and former client ) who was a local resident there . He was taken at night , over torch light . I used my Belgian shot gun , loaded with an Eley 2.75 inch Alphamax triple A cartridge ( which held 44 pellets to the cartridge ) . 44 pellets of English triple A to the head of a kangaroo at close range , folded him nicely . Among non dangerous game , I consider him to be 1 of my most prized trophies and I consider myself exceptionally fortunate to have been able to shoot that Kangaroo and bring his pelt back home .
When I re visited Australia in 2016 , I learnt that over the last 43 years , the regulations in Australia for shooting Kangaroos has changed vastly ( in the sense that the laws have become far more restrictive ) . For the most part , I believe that the use of shot guns is prohibited now , for hunting Kangaroos .
Friend Ponton
The laws have changed now you can only hunt under permit and have completed a course to say you can shoot to a certain standard and also you must be able to identify the different species as some are highly protected. You must also use a minimum caliber of .224 and be able to head shoot to avoid undue suffering.
You have a nice red roo skin, how big was he. A big red can stand up to 2 metres tall and have forearms like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I hope you don't think they are nondangerous my friend.
If cornered they can rip man or beast to shreds with that big middle toe.
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson

Friend Ponton
The laws have changed now you can only hunt under permit and have completed a course to say you can shoot to a certain standard and also you must be able to identify the different species as some are highly protected. You must also use a minimum caliber of .224 and be able to head shoot to avoid undue suffering.
You have a nice red roo skin, how big was he. A big red can stand up to 2 metres tall and have forearms like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson

This here is Roger the Buff Kangaroo, who unfortunately died not long ago at the age of 12. The picture is not altered in any way, he really did have arms like that. That's bigger than some of the guys at my gym, I'd think, and at 196lb of critter, I wouldn't want to get on his bad side even if I weigh a tad more than he did. I don't have springy legs, a heavy tail, or big claws like how he did.

o-ROGER-SWOLED-570.jpg

Attachments

• o-ROGER-SWOLED-570.jpg
    o-ROGER-SWOLED-570.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
Friend Ponton
Cheers my friend
Bob Nelson
You know that there is a saying , " Ignorance Is Bliss " , Bob ? That essentially sums up my predicament at the time . At the time , I had NO idea that Kangaroos were considered to be dangerous game ! I had just recovered from my surgery the previous year and my former client invited me so generously to come to Australia for 2 weeks to partake in some recreational duck and goose shooting ( I believe that your local geese species are referred to , as " Magpie Geese " ? ) . Thus , I only took with me a few boxes of Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch " High Brass " No. 3 bird shot cartridges ( for the ducks ) and a few boxes of Eley Alphamax 2.75 inch " High Brass " triple A cartridges ( for the geese )
I did not bring any of my hand loaded spherical ball cartridges with me , because :
A) I only expected to partake in the shooting of water fowl .
B) ICI Eley had sold all of it's shares in IMI and thus , had ceased manufacturing all it's shot gun ammunition ( Including Eley Grand Prix 2.5 inch spherical ball cartridges after 1970 ; the bullets of which I would use in my hand loaded spherical ball cartridges . ) . I did not know how to mould my own spherical ball bullets at the time , and I had already exhausted my existing supply .

During my stay there , my friend asked me if I would like to shoot a Kangaroo . I was overwhelmed with excitement and obviously said " yes " .
Thus , arrangements were made . My friend owned a pre 64 Winchester Model 70, chambered in .308 Winchester and a 20 Bore Browning Superposed over under double barreled shot gun .
I had my Belgian shot gun and the No. 3 bird shot cartridges and the triple A cartridges . I asked him if I could borrow his .308 Winchester calibre pre 64 Winchester Model 70 . He replied that obviously I could , but that a triple A cartridge fired into the head of a Kangaroo at very close range , would make short work of it . Since he had personally seen me shoot a charging man eating forest panther in the head in 1969 , at a distance of 9 metres ... he was confident that I could properly place the entire charge of triple A in to the Kangaroo's head .
This red Kangaroo was just above 6 feet 5 inches tall , Bob ( Please forgive me , as I do not know the measurement in metres ) . I shot it at night over torch light , using my Belgian shot gun and an Eley Alphamax triple A 2.75 inch cartridge . I shot it at a distance of 5 metres. Years later , it came to my knowledge that Kangaroos are actually considered to be dangerous game by many of our seasoned Australian brother sports men . If I knew that they were potentially dangerous brutes , then I would have instead opted for my friend ( and former clients' ) .308 Winchester calibre pre 64 Model 70 bolt rifle, and 180 grain Winchester Silvertip soft point cartridges . However , as I said... Ignorance Is Bliss . Those 44 pellets of English triple A easily found the brain of the brute at close range .

I really wanted to shoot 1 of the smaller wallabies at least once in my ( hopefully very long ) life . Unfortunately , I never had the privilege to do so .
Ah well...I will just have to content myself with my red Kangaroo .

PS : I observed that .308 Winchester almost used to be an universal shikar calibre amongst Australian sports men , back in 1977 .
My friend taught me how Australian gentle men back in those days used to grind off the pointed metal covered tips of military surplus spitzer 147 grain cartridges , to make a home made expanding bullet . Quite innovative !

You know that there is a saying , " Ignorance Is Bliss " , Bob ? That essentially sums up my predicament at the time . At the time , I had NO idea that Kangaroos were considered to be dangerous game ! I had just recovered from my surgery the previous year and my former client invited me so generously to come to Australia for 2 weeks to partake in some recreational duck and goose shooting ( I believe that your local geese species are referred to , as " Magpie Geese " ? ) . Thus , I only took with me a few boxes of Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch " High Brass " No. 3 bird shot cartridges ( for the ducks ) and a few boxes of Eley Alphamax 2.75 inch " High Brass " triple A cartridges ( for the geese )
I did not bring any of my hand loaded spherical ball cartridges with me , because :
B) ICI Eley had sold all of it's shares in IMI and thus , had ceased manufacturing all it's shot gun ammunition ( Including Eley Grand Prix 2.5 inch spherical ball cartridges after 1970 ; the bullets of which I would use in my hand loaded spherical ball cartridges . ) . I did not know how to mould my own spherical ball bullets at the time , and I had already exhausted my existing supply .

During my stay there , my friend asked me if I would like to shoot a Kangaroo . I was overwhelmed with excitement and obviously said " yes " .
Thus , arrangements were made . My friend owned a pre 64 Winchester Model 70, chambered in .308 Winchester and a 20 Bore Browning Superposed over under double barreled shot gun .
I had my Belgian shot gun and the No. 3 bird shot cartridges and the triple A cartridges . I asked him if I could borrow his .308 Winchester calibre pre 64 Winchester Model 70 . He replied that obviously I could , but that a triple A cartridge fired into the head of a Kangaroo at very close range , would make short work of it . Since he had personally seen me shoot a charging man eating forest panther in the head in 1969 , at a distance of 9 metres ... he was confident that I could properly place the entire charge of triple A in to the Kangaroo's head .
This red Kangaroo was just above 6 feet 5 inches tall , Bob ( Please forgive me , as I do not know the measurement in metres ) . I shot it at night over torch light , using my Belgian shot gun and an Eley Alphamax triple A 2.75 inch cartridge . I shot it at a distance of 5 metres. Years later , it came to my knowledge that Kangaroos are actually considered to be dangerous game by many of our seasoned Australian brother sports men . If I knew that they were potentially dangerous brutes , then I would have instead opted for my friend ( and former clients' ) .308 Winchester calibre pre 64 Model 70 bolt rifle, and 180 grain Winchester Silvertip soft point cartridges . However , as I said... Ignorance Is Bliss . Those 44 pellets of English triple A easily found the brain of the brute at close range .

I really wanted to shoot 1 of the smaller wallabies at least once in my ( hopefully very long ) life . Unfortunately , I never had the privilege to do so .

PS : I observed that .308 Winchester almost used to be an universal shikar calibre amongst Australian sports men , back in 1977 .
My friend taught me how Australian gentle men back in those days used to grind off the pointed metal covered tips of military surplus spitzer 147 grain cartridges , to make a home made expanding bullet . Quite innovative !
Friend Ponton
They are only dangerous if cornered. You load of AAAs at they range would have been ample. I have shot a lot of them using a 22 rimfire. A bullet in the head at up to 50yards will drop him every time.
Did you see the photo Webley Green posted of a big red..
Sounds like you hunted 4he northern territory hunting magpie geese. They are nice eating.
It's a pity you didn't get to hunt scrub bulls ,water buffalo or pigs my friend, it would have been a great thrill facing down a scrubber.
Cheers my friend
Bob

G

G'day Major Khan

Here's an old one with Woody Allan of the USA competing against a well known Aussie

Woody Allen boxing a kangaroo. Hippodrome, 1966

Enjoy
Rob

Kangaroos are easy target as they stand up like people. They are soft skinned and easily killed with anything from 222 upwards.
People seem kangaroos being patted etc in zoos and assume they harmless. But: the males can be aggressive and at Cairns the agile (a breed) wallabies were becoming a pest as the males would attack people who came close.
This was the make wallaby defending his mob. Now kangaroos are very much bigger and the make in particular can be very aggressive At times.
A funny ?? Incident many years ago when a shooter shot a female red kangaroo (female “refs” are usually a bluey color) under a spotlight.
Shooter went out to hit her on the head to finish the job.
Big mistake ?! The others turned off the light when he got right near her. Idiots !!
She backed up to a tree and when he got near her she grabbed him and absolutely shredded his mohair pullover.
Luckily he was not disemboweled.
Normally kangaroos would simply run away but there are tunes when the males will defend their mob.
I personally have shot hundreds (under License) for professional shooter friends.
All head shots I might add. It certainly gave you confidence.
I can remember going out around 4 pm on a winter’s evening and returning after 7 the next morning. Being a professional roo shooter is very hard work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !