Australia today

yeah-nah - that is not going to cause any problems for them

Holy shit!! It's a frigging concentration camp. Segregating people and punishing groups.

. . . For instance, education services to international students – depending on the year, Australia’s 3rd or 4th largest export (and Victoria’s largest). The industry is being decimated, and with it, the local businesses providing students services. Overseas students’ fees fund half of all research conducted by Australia’s universities; the research will be cut. The tourism and hospitality industries are obviously struggling too, as are many others. How well and how quickly will these industries recover is anybody’s guess. Before the pandemic, Australia used to be serviced by 52 international airlines; now it is 18, most if not all of which are losing money on their flights. . .

I am certainly very interested in this, as my daughter want a to do a study abroad next academic year. She would like to attend either University of Queensland or Bond. She like that Bond is in Gold Coast (the Beach) but does not like how small it is. UQ on the other hand does have a station physically on the Reef. Perhaps some of our OZ members can shed some light on (1) will Queensland be fully open by next academic year [full freedom of movement and no masks or masks optional] and (2) which would you choose for your child, Bond or UQ?

I understand that QANTAS is restarting DFW/SYD service in December, but on an B-787 and not an A380.

Is preventing thousands of deaths not showing regard for the people?
Every country will ask this question and debate the balance they struck. But in Canada we are anticipating three times the need for children's mental health services, a huge addiction problem and developmental delays for young children. Considering that anyone under the age of 70 had in neighborhood of a 99% chance for survival, the cost being paid for a generation is certainly very dear.

I am certainly very interested in this, as my daughter want a to do a study abroad next academic year. She would like to attend either University of Queensland or Bond. She like that Bond is in Gold Coast (the Beach) but does not like how small it is. UQ on the other hand does have a station physically on the Reef. Perhaps some of our OZ members can shed some light on (1) will Queensland be fully open by next academic year [full freedom of movement and no masks or masks optional] and (2) which would you choose for your child, Bond or UQ?

I understand that QANTAS is restarting DFW/SYD service in December, but on an B-787 and not an A380.
UQ hands down, the beach is only an hour away.

As for freedom, who knows. Qld has been a bit of a hermit kingdom as much as they can but with vaccination being what it is, by the time the academic year rolls around it should be fine.

The state government is run by petty fools and egomaniacs, but that’s no different to politics anywhere else.

Is preventing thousands of deaths not showing regard for the people?
@blacks
Idont think it is SCOMO that is stuffing things up. Since China screwed us over in trade he is building trade relations with other countries and keeping our country financially viable.
It is the stupidity of the states that is keeping us locked up especially Anastasia Pile a Poop and that clown in western Australia.
As much as I don't overly like Gladys Barebum the 3 stage plan for opening NSW is the best solution to get us out of lockdown quickly and as safely as she can.
I will be able to hunt from 18th Oct and we will be able to travel overseas from December and be back to as normal as possible.
Yes politics sucks but at least a couple of ours are doing the best they can in this brave new world.
Yes compulsory vaccination sucks but when we get to 90% vaccination no one will care if we are vaccinated or not. At the moment Australia is above the rest of the world in the China flu race and in a better financial position than most along with a 4.8% unemployment rate.
We aren't that bad off really.
Bob

It dosent appear to be such a small segment of society from all the reports and the video being shown (on many platforms) of the police acting against peacefull protesters and while there are a few who are not peacefull in some of the larger protests, the police over reaction and violence against these protests is a sign of widespread "them against us" mentality that the police have taken. It is not a matter of law as much as it is a matter of manifest police violence against the Australian population in some of the worst lockdowns in the world.
You say that there have not been the widespread deaths but you cannt keep a population continually in house arrest without some pushback being seen
@Von Gruff
Gary the media only shows one side and bad news sells.
They interview one person who stated that he saw a lot of his companies shirts at the protest. He doesn't know where the shirts came from as he only employed a few people and the number far out weighed his employees.
A lot of the protesters were also professional protester that go from town to town staring up shit. There were also a lot of right wing extremists mixed in with them.
All protest whether they be against lockdown, BLM and othe always have a mix of legitimate and dickhead protester.
It's a pity the media can't give a balanced view of things but why let the truth get in the way when a good lie is better. Feed enough people enough bullshit for long enough and they end up believing it.
Bob

Not sure what race you mean, but I looked at several sites on vac rates and I couldnt even find OZ on any of them.

On another site by clicking on OZ on a side bar, I got a different result, but still down at only 62 percent total vac rate.
Either way Australia is not leading the way in vaccinations.

@wesheltonj
The way things are looking at the moment we will be open next year in most states. Qantas and Virgin are as lrwady offering discounted over seas flights and being run off there feet. NSW will be 90% open by October 18 and fully open to people from OS by December. Yes people will have to be vaccinated to travel but from what I gather that applies in most countries.
Bob

Not sure what race you mean, but I looked at several sites on vac rates and I couldnt even find OZ on any of them.

On another site by clicking on OZ on a side bar, I got a different result, but still down at only 62 percent total vac rate.
Depends, after all statistics can be used to prove anything.

None of the quoted information is incorrect, there is a bit of hubris going on about having the most rapidly increasing vaccination rate. I don’t know whether that’s nationally or one of the states. I didn’t take it seriously enough to pay attention.

What is absolutely true is that vaccination rates are increasing rapidly, politicians are creating hot wind over just about anything and the world is showing signs of normality.
Of course it’s spring and as summer rolls on, infections tend to reduce anyway. There’s a few months to get ahead of the next set of concerns and we’ll go back to trying to get another job after that.

Or at least I will……

@sestoppelman
In NSW we will reach 70% double vaccination by Oct 11, 80% by Oct 18and 90% in early Nov. That is for people 12 years old up so not to shabby I would say.
Bob

@sestoppelman
In NSW we will reach 70% double vaccination by Oct 11, 80% by Oct 18and 90% in early Nov. That is for people 12 years old up so not to shabby I would say.
Bob
Well you said Australia, not NSW, which sounded a bit bold. :A Banana: :A Outta:

I would pick University of Queensland (UQ). Both of my daughters studied there (Vet & Business Management respectively). UQ is a much larger university and simply has more resources available to students than Bond University. Yes Bond Uni is on the Gold Coast right near the surf beaches. But it sounds like your daughter will be completing some marine studies. UQ has their Heron Island Research Facility in central Queensland right on the southern part of grate barrier reef (72 km offshore). As mentioned by others the Gold Coast beaches are an hours drive on the freeway from Brisbane (my city) where UQ's main university campus is situated.
Regarding Australia opening up. There is a push for an 80% vaccination target before any of our state borders are open. Then for our state of Queensland (QLD) our premier has recently indicated a 90% vaccination rate for both doses before international borders will open to our state. This will affect your daughters ability to travell to Australia. If a 90% target is required then this looks like it will be after Christmas. The university year does not start till the end of January.
Some statistics on our vaccinations below.
Sorry for the hijack of this thread.

1632886725872.jpeg

Gold Coast may not be the best place for a young person to spend too much time in. Of the two unis I would definietely choose UQ. Another university to consider, particularly for marine biology, would be James Cook University, they have campuses in Townsville and Cairns. I’m a JCU alumni - undergraduate degree, (I did masters at UTS) and it is a decent institution. PM me If you have questions about studying in Oz from international student’s perspective, but in short - it was great.

My daughter is a Bond Law grad. If yours wants to chat with her let me know. I believe she enjoyed her education.

Australia's Corporations Rebel Against Government's Draconian COVID Lockdowns​

BY TYLER DURDEN
WEDNESDAY, SEP 29, 2021 - 09:40 PM
Australia's corporate sector has finally had enough of the ongoing lockdowns that have left the country's economy hobbled and its people cut off from the rest of the world for months.
Increasingly frustrated by a slow vaccine rollout and the ongoing lockdowns, the leaders of many of Australia’s biggest companies, including BHP, Macquarie and Qantas have signed a letter demanding that the government acknowledge it's time to "learn to live with the virus," as many other countries have done, since "COVIDZero" has finally been exposed as an impossible dream.
In the letter - which was reported on by the FT - the signatories allege that Australia is making “big mistakes” in failing to reopen to the world. By making the lockdowns so severe (and so unceasingly long), the Australian government is putting politics before the well-being of the Australian people ahead of the federal elections that must be held by the end of May - when the Senate's present term is slated to expire.

The companies that signed the letter "...employ almost one million Australians" and warned that lockdowns were having "long-lasting" effects on the economy. However, this shouldn't be news to Australia's political elite: Economists at Australia's central bank, the RBA, already lowered their growth projections after a stronger-than-expected Q2 GDP print.

But all the incremental data seen so far suggests that Q3 could be a disaster - well that, coupled with the intensifying economic pressure from Beijing, which is trying to win a geopolitical stare-down contest with the Australian government by blocking a growing number of imports.

As for Australia's infamous "drawbridge" border policy, the letter's signatories insisted that the decision to close Australia's borders was a colossal mistake.

"The borders should have never been closed,” Graham Turner, chief executive of travel company Flight Centre, told the Financial Times. “We’re making some very big mistakes here.”
"It’s time for corporate Australia to turn its disquiet and rumblings into a roar,” said Greg O’Neill, the chief executive of Melbourne fund manager La Trobe Financial, one of the signatories to the open letter sent by the Business Council of Australia. “It is time for courage and honesty. Not politics.”
Australian COVID cases have finally plateaued...
...Yet, the country still has among the lowest vaccination rates in the developed world. Only 41.4% of the population is fully inoculated — well behind the UK (66.7%) and Canada (70.4%) and below the US, where 54.7% are inoculated.

In the letter, the Business Council of Australia also warned about a quiet "mental health crisis" plaguing the country, a result of the lockdowns and other anti-COVID measures - "some of the impacts of current lockdowns are hidden, and the effects will be long lasting."

Corporate behemoths aren't the only ones struggling with Australia's COVID rules. Groups representing small businesses have made similar complaints. Alexi Boyd, CEO of the Council of Small Business Organizations, said the refusal to reopen internal and external borders has hampered the country's economic recovery.

Anti-lockdown protests have flared in Melbourne in recent weeks, leading to hundreds of arrests and chaos like protesters shutting down a major highway. The government in Victoria tried shutting down construction sites in the area after workers participated in the protests. Unsurprisingly, this only made demonstrators angrier.

In recent weeks, the Aussie government has shown some acknowledgement that they might have chosen the wrong course. But with his conservative Liberal Party trailing the Labor opposition in the polls, PM Scott Morrison is under a lot of pressure to stay the course and pray that the latest delta-driven wave finally subsides.

Last edited by a moderator:

New South Wales threatens jail time for those without a vaccine passport trying to enter businesses​

That wouldnt surprise judging by some of the vids I have seen with the cops pretty much knocking people down and assaulting them for being outside without a mask on.
I have not worn a mask outside since this whole thing started and never will.
Inexcusable.

Aussie Police Urge Government to Issue No-Fly Zones Over Melbourne So People Won’t See How Massive the Anti-Government Protests Are (VIDEO)​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg