AUSTRALIA: The Burning Has Started

Ben, sorry to flood your thread with my pics, just providing you with some inspiration for the season (y)

Here is a picture of my good friend Mike McCourry, inventor of the B&M range, with one of three non-typical bulls it was my good fortune to have hunted.

Note how one horn tips down and the other points up.
(this bull wanted to bite us, note where he died !!!!!)

Again, note good solid bases.
A proper mature bull.

IMG_1918.JPG

There is something about the three bulls I photographed that were hanging around the dead ones that I haven’t been able to figure out. They all appear to be somewhat sexually excited. Younger bulls suddenly feeling some dominance over an entire unmoving herd? Or simply a nervous reaction?

Out of interest did the funky-horned giant get cranky trying to make a last stand or before the shooting started?

He was standing on the very edge of a thicket and was turning to depart when the initial shot went off.
As soon as the first shot sounded he disappeared in to the scrub not allowing for a second or back-up to be taken.

I left him for a few minutes and then went in.
When I got to where he was first standing there were fresh buffalo trails everywhere.
Stopping and standing back I took the one that looked the freshest and proceeded for a while when it became obvious the trail I was on was not his.
I back-tracked and eventually found the true trail that led right in to some thick nasty stuff.
I got to a point where the scrub was so thick I had to part it with my barrel to see what was in it and there laying dead was the bull who had turned around facing the direction we were approaching from but had died in the time it took for me to get there !!!!

Some photos from the weekend...

Three little calves planted by their mothers, who were nowhere to be found...
P1000167.JPG

An older cow enjoying the cool morning...
P1000173.JPG

We had a couple of dramas. I was relaxed and strolling along a sandy, shady creek bank, with only a little leaf litter. In an instant, without any thought or warning, I suddenly found myself in mid-air a couple of feet off the ground with my legs frantically flailing to avoid a good-size brown snake that had exploded at my feet from a pile of leaves, and was likewise in the air, roping and looping to fend me off. It was quite surreal, that moment. What goes up must come down, and we landed together, him (well, I don't exactly know the gender) landing upside-down before galloping up the boot and halfway up the gaiter of my wife who was stifling a scream behind me. Then he departed, and we were shaken. It was meant to be a relaxed and romantic walk to a spectacular gorge, but that encounter put us on edge. This year is strangely full of snake encounters. for the previous five years I have been extremely casual, and cannot think of a time I saw a poisonous snake while hunting. This year they've contacted my shoes three times, and my wife has also had two close encounters. If you're coming this way for a stroll in buffalo country this year, just keep an eye out. I used to hunt in sandals or thongs, but am reluctant to do so now, preferring to suit-up like a knight with gaiters and boots - and maybe trousers instead of shorts, now.

This isn't the snake that gave me a fright, it's a black whip snake that I saw from a safe distance and tried to photograph...
P1000168.JPG

The next little drama wasn't so bad, just an older cow with a young bull and a couple of yearlings that got assertive when we tried to edge safely around a new-born calf. The cow rounded the calf up and moved away, but the bull kept coming and had us against a cliff drop to the creek below. I wasn't too worried, and "Shoo!"-ed him away easily enough. He had approached to about thirty metres. My wife felt uncomfortable about it.

Then we encountered an older bull in some thicker cover with horns that began nicely enough by were kind-of stunted partway along - as was his body, we feel. I mean, he was big enough to smash us, but just lacked a couple of hundred kilograms, we felt. I'm not sure if he'd had a hard life, was genetically smaller, or was just aging. Anyway, at thirty-five metres he was unaware and I popped a 600 grain Woodleigh PPSN into his chest, quartering-on, whereupon he staggered a few yards and toppled, bobala.
P1000184.JPG

Seeing this butterfly was a really special part of the outing...
P1000237.JPG

I never have learned what these little creatures are, but there are always lots of them, they're harmless, and on this occasion they were busily engaged in some kind of orgy - I only photographed two couples out of many. Or maybe I'm wrong and they were just piggy-backing the smaller ones around...
P1000250.JPG

Karrak (red-tailed black cockatoo)
P1000254.JPG

Two boars taken from the carcasses using the old Sako .22-250 and 55 grain Barnes TSXs. The 55 grain TSX is a little bit hard for boars, they tend to zip through and really require spine, brain or shoulder hits. This integrity is what enables the little projectile to fell buffalo (as a killer, not a stopper).
P1000258.JPG

P1000262.JPG

The carcasses have brought us four pigs including three reasonable boars, thus far.

Nothing like a bit of bait to drag them boars out from the "never - never " !

Well done, nice hogs.

Amazing what you can do with a tiny little, light-weight projectile that is properly constructed. Some people just don't get it and refuse to accept it.

Benn, when-ever I was driving around with a new hunter I would ask them if they had ever seen a Black Cockatoo.
Most of them replied in the negative :A Whistle:
Some would break out laughing twenty minutes later :A Too Cool:

G'day Ben,

Some bloody good photos there mate and stories as well especially about your old man.(y) I can fell your angst about the joe blakes. Had some near misses from browns, both small and big in the past.

Now as for the calibre gap. I have just about finnished one that would suit your neck of the woods to the ground. 358/338RUM. Take boar or buff with a 225grain Hydro at 3200fps:D

Paul you have some good bulls there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross